• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Step Test Super Thread

I wouldn't mind a copy myself.  I had to come back from residence for the christmas break, with no gym near-by and too much snow to run properly.  Having some way of getting decent cardio, even if it's just doing the step test on myself for 15 minutes twice a day, would be nice.

If you want to work out an improve cardio, run. Listening to the step test music in your car is weird..

If you don't want to run outside, a lot of gyms have an indoor track that you can use; look around I'm sure you can find a gym in your area.

As for to much snow outside, I dunno about where you live, but here in Edmonton a lot of the sidewalks get the snow  shoveled/blown off; you can run on the sidewalk after thats done.

i did a step test today.... man that is some weird music they play to you. must be a part of brainwashing program. but it did its job

I feel bad for the Test evaluators....how many times a day do you think they listen to that stupid music?

Sig_Des said:
I feel bad for the Test evaluators....how many times a day do you think they listen to that stupid music?
I'm sure they just get people like B-man to do the evaluation

Step test:

Up-two-three
Down-two-three
Up-two-three...

Was like some kind of twisted dance class.

MikeL said:
If you don't want to run outside, a lot of gyms have an indoor track that you can use; look around I'm sure you can find a gym in your area.

As for to much snow outside, I dunno about where you live, but here in Edmonton a lot of the sidewalks get the snow   shoveled/blown off; you can run on the sidewalk after thats done.

Or you can just run in the snow - I was running in snow about a foot deep last week and it was a great workout. No need to let some fluffy snow stop you from running.

True.  I just don't want to destroy my running shoes or make them too wet to wear inside if I can find a gym.

How fast is the step test music anyway?  I was doing something like it last night for about 5 minutes at a pretty fast pace, but it was just like 1234123412341234, like up and down and up again in about a second or less for a proper one.

By the way, anyone know of a pushup that isolates the shoulders or pectoral muscles?  I'm having a bit of trouble finding stuff about isolating pushups online, and just doing set after set after set of the tricep pushup is driving me nuts, and my shoulder muscles need work.

b-man said:
I enjoyed the step test music, can anyone tell me how to get a copy for listening in the car?
b-man

Just listen to a waltz, It is probably just a little bit cooler then the step test CD  :D

The step test is pretty cool. When I was in TKD, we did them. I really liked it. But we just went as fast as we could. The feet get moving soo fast it's too hard to count.

Hello everyone, I know this is an old topic....

I am applying for the Reserve, and I just read in this topic that if someone fails the Fitness test, the CFRC can reschedule another fitness test weeks or months later to give another chance to the applicant to meet the requirements. Is this informtation still accurate today?

Thank you very much
Have a nice day

the_girlfirend said:
Hello everyone, I know this is an old topic....

I am applying for the Reserve, and I just read in this topic that if someone fails the Fitness test, the CFRC can reschedule another fitness test weeks or months later to give another chance to the applicant to meet the requirements. Is this informtation still accurate today?

Thank you very much
Have a nice day

Yes but I believe it is at your own expense so check with your CFRC/D.

Most of the fitness tests given to reserve applicants are carried out at a Nautilus of other fitness centre - under contract to the CF.
Spoke to an applicant the other day and - yes - he was made to pay for his 2nd fitness evaluation.

Only one freebie to a customer.

I just recently sent in my application however, I fear not being able to meet the standards for the running/step-test; I can barely make 2.0 km in 13 minutes...

wait, actually; I should say: When I run in moderation and keep a steady pace to maintain stamina I can make 1.47km in 13 minutes, I tried to start off the run at a faster pace and only got to 0.72 miles (the treadmill was calibrated differently than the one 2 feet from my left) in like 4 minutes.

I am really stoked to join the PRes but I just don't want to look like an idiot when doing the express.

NFLD Sapper said:
Didn't they drop the step test a few years back?
they dropped it for the Reg force candidates - that's given at the recruit school - and if/when they fail, they are placed on a remedial education fitness platoon.

For the Reserves, there are no remedial fitness platoons - ya come as you are - thus, you have to pass the basic fitness test.

R. Jorgensen said:
I just recently sent in my application however, I fear not being able to meet the standards for the running/step-test; I can barely make 2.0 km in 13 minutes...

wait, actually; I should say: When I run in moderation and keep a steady pace to maintain stamina I can make 1.47km in 13 minutes, I tried to start off the run at a faster pace and only got to 0.72 miles (the treadmill was calibrated differently than the one 2 feet from my left) in like 4 minutes.

I am really stoked to join the PRes but I just don't want to look like an idiot when doing the express.
Let's face it, the express/Beep test tests your VO2 capacity - not really your endurance.
The shuttle run starts SLOW and builds up to FAST/ VERY FAST - so practicing to go real fast from the very beginning isn't going to prove much - is it ?

Do a search on army.ca for the Beep test or shuttle run.... it's all been asked before - and even more - It's all been answered before... time to do your homework

Back