• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Step Test Super Thread

If you think that this is nothing, then go home and pull out a "Ghetto Blaster", find some German Beerhall music and then try steping up three steps and down thee steps to the music, increasing the tempo every few minutes.

George Wallace said:
If you think that this is nothing, then go home and pull out a "Ghetto Blaster", find some German Beerhall music and then try steping up three steps and down thee steps to the music, increasing the tempo every few minutes.

Yeah, George, I used to hate that music too.  And it would stick in your head all day!  ::)

I was wondering how much time it actually takes... For how many minutes on average do you go up and down the stairs? anybody knows?

Thanks

IIRC the sets are 3 mins long and the test is designed to last for three or four stages so 9-12 mins.  Bear in mind that they start you on a higher level depending on how young you are so you work harder from the get go.

climbing up 3 steps & backpedaling same 3 steps does sound cheezy & easy BUT, you'd be surprized at the effort & strain to your cardiac rate.  Lots of people flunk out at the 1sat or 2nd level because their heartrate goes thru the roof.... not like the express test where your rate is not monitored after the initial check.

I just did the step test and I was actually very stressed about it, because I know that my cardio is weak.
Some of you wrote that at a certain point you were running very fast up and down the stairs. I think that there are different levels for men and women.
Because it was actually very slow, I never ran, I only walked up and down the stairs, I did two levels, 3 minutes each, and they were both slower than my natural pace.

Also, I know some of you could not get an answer right away, but the lady actually gave me a paper copy of the results of the test and it says that I passed...

I've done it in the past - never had to do running on the steps.... hell, there are only 3 steps to move between and you have to come to a full stop prior to reversing/moving forward - not enough room to run.  Also, regardless of how easy it sounds, your cardio goes up fairly quickly - from doing your climbing.

If your cardio is good & you follow the beat on the tape, you will do OK....

What happens if you don't ever pass it? By at my expense does that mean i have to complete it on my own time?

I'm not concerned, just curious as to how it works.

Mosher said:
What happens if you don't ever pass it?

You dont pass....you dont get in.

By at my expense does that mean i have to complete it on my own time?

No, it means you have to pay $$$$$ for it every re-test.

When you do the step test - they continualy check your Cardiac rate.
If your CR goes above a certain level.... they stop it & send you packing - sorry - not fit!
No refunds, do not go past go, do not collect 200$

EXPRESS tests are not done for regular applicants while at CFRC... it is done at the recruit school during the 1st couple of days there.  If you fail, you go into the "special needs" platoon and are given plenty of PT & nutrition councelling - to get you on track.  If after so many weeks you continue to fail, they send you home..... permanently.

EXPRESS tests are given to reserve applicants at CFRC... it is done because there is a certain expectation that you must have at least a minimum physical fitness capability prior to enrollment.  No pass... no enrollment.

(BTW - the whole thing about PT testing + if & when you are enrolled has been covered ad nauseum throughout this web site - use the search function up above.....)

Too easy,  you start at a certain level based on your age, resting HR (Heart Rate)and other factors.
When the music starts there is a count down and you step, step, up..step, step, down on a set of steps in the testing room.
Up, two, three. Down, two, three.
Your feet have to be fully on the tread and you have to keep pace with the music.
Each stage is the same length of time.
After 3 miutes (maybe 2, can't remember exactly) the PSP staff check your pulse.
If you're HR is good you get to go faster, if you're maxed out you have to stop.
Based on your HR they figure your O2 max.

Completely off topic:  bpayne, do you really think it's a good idea to use your email address as a user name?  ???

bpayne,

The "mCAFT" step test is a sub-maximal test that indirectly evaluates your aerobic fitness based off of your heart rate response to increasingly difficult exercise.  Scientific research has shown that your heart rate response increase in a linear fashion  intensity does.  That is the basis of that test.  Basically it estimates your Peak Aerobic fitness level by extrapolating sub-maximal results to your age estimated maximum heart rate.  There is room for alot of error (due to the estimating), but the general trends remain the same.

It is important to note that this test is now only done with CF Applicants and with current serving CF mbrs ONLY when a Medical Officer requests it.

Already been mentioned several times in this thread. 

geo said:
EXPRESS tests are not done for regular applicants while at CFRC... it is done at the recruit school during the 1st couple of days there.  If you fail, you go into the "special needs" platoon and are given plenty of PT & nutrition councelling - to get you on track.  If after so many weeks you continue to fail, they send you home..... permanently.

EXPRESS tests are given to reserve applicants at CFRC... it is done because there is a certain expectation that you must have at least a minimum physical fitness capability prior to enrollment.  No pass... no enrollment.

(BTW - the whole thing about PT testing + if & when you are enrolled has been covered ad nauseum throughout this web site - use the search function up above.....)

Back