• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Step Test Super Thread

That step test is an embarassment to the forces, the recruit and the PT staff administering it.

This happened to me in January:

Putz to Physical administrator: 'Why do we do a step test instead of a 2.4km run"

Physical guy:
"Number of reasons
1) its winter and we don't have the full and complete access to an indoor track (and according to him Edmonton Garrison only has a 200m indoor track that they could use and the turns and bends in the track make it longer than 2.4km so you'd actually have to do 10.865543356 etc laps to get 2.4 km)
2) If you drop dead at least I'm right here instead of at the opposite end of the track
3) We need to be able to stop you and check your heart rate and it would be a pain in the a$$ to follow you around and do it"

I find that the best way to get answers to these questions on why do we do this is to just ask.

Since when don't you run in the winter? I could've sworn i did one this morning...then again maybe it was the crack I've been smoking.
On our BMQ we were running outside in Febuary, enjoying a delicious Gagetown winter on our 2nd day.  Anyways my point is you're gonna run, rain or shine, summer or winter ( cut off usually bieng -25C W/O windchill) so why not have the troops go for a jog?
Edmonton is a big city, odds are theres a track somewhere in the city that DND could procure for a half day.

I just dont think it's a great intro to military life.  "Do you smoke dope? and 2 and 3 and down and 2 and 3"

Cheerz

I run in the winter outside but I believe the point he was trying to get across is that you don't want someone thats trying to get in (such as myself) to slip and break a leg.  I personally think that we should have to run the 2.4km (I'm an avid runner) but I can see the logic behind the step test versus the actual run.  Also, think of the cost involved if the DND had to porcure a track outside of the base it would add up either in dollars (to have it everday) or a back log in trainees as they try to get everyone to do their physical on one day.

Remember, the Step Test is not to test how far or how fast you can run, but to be a Cardio Test.  It is done in a controlled environment, hopefully with a trained supervisor should something go wrong.

What good, I may ask, is the Coopers Test, if there is no real pass/fail.  Each time you do the test, you will hopefully do better.  So, I take it easy this month, next month I do one more Sit Up, one more Push Up, crank out a little more effort on the last 100 m of the run and add 5 Kg to the bar.  Not really all that great of a test really.  I have see fat overweight female medics score higher than 19 year old guys in the Cbt Arms.  Nice to see that the gender scores elevate females much higher in the scoring process. 

We are constantly reinventing the wheel.  Once, when the RCAF developed the 5 BX program, we had a world class program that everyone copied.  For some reason, probably a staff officer hiding in NDHQ with nothing to do, we started looking elsewhere for ideas, not all of them sound.

Oh well.....

GW

I agree it acomplishes something, i just believe that it should'nt be the enterance standard. I did it, and some of the guys that were there were saying how the PT can't be that hard if this is all we have to accomplish.  It dose'nt give a good first impression, and if anything decreases    90% the recruit's motivation to carry on with his/her personal PT prior to BMQ.

I guess we have to disagree and call it a day.

Cheers

The Step was not that bad
just build up you cardeo
if you cant run the 2.4 in 12 just run for a long time and build up your endurance (more importing IMHO)
i was always a littel shy in the speed but my endurance is good so iv passed no problem.

It was a relief to read this thread. I've been dreading the PT test because I am a large guy (5'10" 230) and even though I can do the 2.4 in about 12 even without training, I have been burned because of my size (BMI and such. I once got put on remedial PT based on BMI, even though I passed everything else.). I know I can totally pass the push-ups and sit-ups no problem - now it sounds like I should also pass the step test too.

I really need this career with the CF. I can't even express how important it is to me and my family (son and wife). Really, if you ask me, the CF should be on the top of the 50 Best to Work For lists. Why I left in the first place, I'll never understand. I guess it was a case of "grass is greener on the other side."

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.

Yea I'm a little nervous about the PT test as well. Even though I can smoke the 12 min (my time is around 10:20, or lower), pushups I can do fine, I'm doing 30 situps, holding a 20 pound dumbell to make it harder, each set of weights I do. Hand grip req. is 75 I believe, I did it in phys. ed class and I got somewhere between 110-120. The test should go fine for me, but there's still those jitters inside. I think the nerves will help you though, so you're focussed, rather than being 100% laid back, then bam you're not ready like you thought you were..

-Ross

I was under the assumption that we still had to do a 2.5k run when i went for my physical a month back... oh man. i trained with my rower friend to make sure i hadn't lost my endurance (i had to build up my endurance all over again because i haven't been in PE since grade 11  :D ). then i get to the CFRC and they put me in front of the step test... i was relieved and dissapointed at the same time. at least the training went to good use!

LordOsborne said:
I was under the assumption that we still had to do a 2.5k run when i went for my physical a month back... oh man. i trained with my rower friend to make sure i hadn't lost my endurance (i had to build up my endurance all over again because i haven't been in PE since grade 11   :D ). then i get to the CFRC and they put me in front of the step test... i was relieved and dissapointed at the same time. at least the training went to good use!

What a coincidence, I'm a rower! hehe. The whole getting up at 0430 - 0500 is basically second nature to me. We practice for 2 hours before school everyday (when the lake thaws out), then go back at night for weight training a few days a week. Hopefully that'll give me an edge for BMQ/SQ.

i'm not a rower! i'm a sailor all the way  >:D ... which is kind of odd considering i was an air cadet for 7 years. yeah, where i come from (Port Moody), there's a massive rivalry between the rowers and the sailors. do you do any competitive rowing?

LordOsborne said:
i'm not a rower! i'm a sailor all the way   >:D ... which is kind of odd considering i was an air cadet for 7 years. yeah, where i come from (Port Moody), there's a massive rivalry between the rowers and the sailors. do you do any competitive rowing?

Yea that's what I meant by rowing, I row competitively, have been for 4 years or so.

Here is information on the step test that is used by the CF: It's called the Queens college step test and it measures VO2Max = "VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen in milliliters, one can use in one minute per kilogram of body weight" The idea is to step for 3 minutes and get your heartrate measured, then another 3 minutes and heartrate measured again. The results are then weighed against a standard and you either pass or fail. Age and weight can affect the outcome, so lose weight and go back to being 18  ;D. Here is a standard table if you would like to measure yourself:

The following are national norms for 16 to 19 year olds.

Gender Excellent Above Average Average Below Average Poor
Male <121 148 - 121 156 - 149 162 - 157 >162
Female <129 158 - 129 166 - 159 170 - 167 >170

Table Reference: Davis B. et al; Physical Education and the Study of Sport; 2000

Also the reason why they keep you at the end of the test is liability, they can't let you go and drive home etc while your heart rate is at 190 bpm or whatever, you may pass out and that would be bad. :p

Some tips for bigger runners, AVOID CAFFEINE, SALT etc that will cause your BP to spike for about a week before your test.
Also ( and this is just my own thing, it is NOT medical,nutrional or fitness advice) Try going on a Special K diet for about a week, before the test. That extra 5lbs may help.
Good luck all  ;)

What exactly is the step test? I know that it is the equivalent of a 2.4km run, but is it the one you can find on the internet (stepping up and down steps for 3 minutes, and then measuring heart rate)? What is the exact procedure (so that I can test myself at home)?
JamesJ

Try this - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced for 18 pages of info
Good luck!

I have a question about the step test. How high is each step, and how fast (in steps per minute) is the test conducted?

The speed all depends what level you start at and the height is a basic step you see in your home. For 3 mins you step up and down 3 steps to most hilarious music to a guy saying step, step up...step, step down. You do this 2-3 times at a faster speed each time. The instructor takes you heart rate and measures your recovery time. It is not difficult but you still have to be prepared. The recruiting site says if should be able to run 2.4 KM between 10 and 13 mins.

Good luck.

I enjoyed the step test music, can anyone tell me how to get a copy for listening in the car?

b-man

Back