• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs

This just happened to me too. I got merit listed for pilot in October. The next day they told me the October selections were not going to happen. Then today I called to see if anything has changed and it turns out I was taken off the merit list a week later and they submitted a PLAR on me, which is going to take weeks/months. The worst part is that people got some offers early this month and I didn't even have a chance because they delisted me in October. I doubt they'll even get anything out of the PLAR since I was infantry NCM 5 years ago and am now applying for Pilot. Ah well, not my time I suppose.

Just wondering how long a PLAR normally takes to process.  Dropped off transcripts to the RC, and playing the waiting game.  CFAT comes after the PLAR, so I'm just trying to get ready with math skill improvement, spatial testing practice, etc.  But a timeline would be handy to have.  I know there is a thread about wait times but most of the data in those posts are dated back in 2003-05.  I'm looking for intel that is a little more current.

Thank you.

They can, unfortunately, take a considerable period of time. I cannot give you a firm 'from __ to __' gate, I can only offer anecdotal evidence. One individual who joined my reserve unit having recently released from the same trade in the regs was waiting on a PLAR for about 8 months. It's not a matter of the PLAR necessarily being a difficult process, but rather that a limited number of people work on them and there are many to do.

We have a number of reg and reserve medics on this site, we have folks working full time in the recruiting centres, and we have folks from other parts of Canadian Forces recruiting group. Hopefully a few will be along to fill in other pieces of the puzzle for you. It's discouraging, but stick with it- it's worth it.

Best of luck to you!

Thank Brihard.  It's always encouraging to get a response like that.

I VR'd from CFRS Cornwallis back in 1989 in week 8 out of 10.  (what a dummy)  lol  Now 43 with 18 years as a frontline paramedic I want back in as a Med Tech.  Kinda the reverse employment strategy to most.

RC is treating my application as a skilled entry.  My CF friends think it's funny that I want to do BMQ twice in a lifetime.

srvn2sv said:
Just wondering how long a PLAR normally takes to process.  Dropped off transcripts to the RC, and playing the waiting game.  CFAT comes after the PLAR, so I'm just trying to get ready with math skill improvement, spatial testing practice, etc.  But a timeline would be handy to have.  I know there is a thread about wait times but most of the data in those posts are dated back in 2003-05.  I'm looking for intel that is a little more current.

Thank you.

From what I am seeing, PLARs are taking minimum 2-4 months if all the info submitted in the first shot was all that was required.  If they come back to you asking for more, expect it to take double that.  It is getting substantially quicker as the PLAR staff has been working hard to get the backlog done.

Also, what recruiting centre are you dealing with?  They specifically told you they wont do a CFAT until the PLAR is back?

Hey Proud Canadian,

I'm dealing with Barrie.  All the staff there seem to be fantastic people and great at what they do.  I'm quite impressed.  The SGT there indicated that I would receive a call with a CFAT testing date and time after the PLAR was completed.  A couple of items were missing when I went in to see them, and although they said I could bring them in the day of the CFAT, I was planning on dropping in today and submitting them so they don't have to wait.  Resume, letter from previous employer and original college diploma.

I won't lie, I've been able to use this time to brush up on math skills and such in prep for the testing; it's been a long time since I've used math outside of calculating someone's heart rate.

I truly can't speak too highly of this forum and the information offered by its members.

Regards,

Keep going in every so often to check on the PLAR, I have a unique situation with mine that I won't go into detail but so far I've been waiting for it to return since August 2012.  I have heard that part is now complete on mine and hoping the rest returns to the CFRC by the week of the 20th.  Needless to say I am getting more and more nervous about it

I have been spending the last few hours trying to find a definitive answer on this question including on this forum with no luck so far so I'm starting a new thread. If there's another thread that covers this topic that someone has a link for that be great.

My question is as follows: I'm doing a CT from reserves as an NCM to reg force officer as a pilot. I know the PLAR will assess prior training and skills. Does having the new PLQ mods 1, 2 & 3 meet the PLAR requirement for the 13-week BMOQ (now mods 1-5)? My brokerage(?) officer (individual handling my CT application in Ottawa) stated that BMQ will allow me to bypass the first part of BMOQ but that ILQ (Sgt's course) is required to bypass all 13 weeks of officer training. I'm not sure if that's correct.

There is a PLAR DIN site under CMP/CDA...try searching "CDA PLAR BMOQ" on the DIN.  I have the link in my bookmarks at work, can fwd tomorrow if no dice for you.

Eye In The Sky said:
There is a PLAR DIN site under CMP/CDA...try searching "CDA PLAR BMOQ" on the DIN.  I have the link in my bookmarks at work, can fwd tomorrow if no dice for you.

Thanks. I'll try that tonight.

As you have NOT COMPLETED the PLQ, I would think that your chances are slim to non-existant.

Here is the DIN link.

http://cda.mil.ca/j3ops/milequiv/botp-eng.asp

George Wallace said:
As you have NOT COMPLETED the PLQ, I would think that your chances are slim to non-existant.

The PLQ format change this year so Mod 6 - part 1 is now Mod 3. Mod 6 Inf is now Mod 4 but only the infantry has to do Mod 4 so would having the new Mod 3 count as having completed PLQ for other trades?

Eowyn said:
Here is the DIN link.

http://cda.mil.ca/j3ops/milequiv/botp-eng.asp

Thanks! I'm not on a DIN comp now but I'll check it out tonight when I have access to one.

ezbeatz said:
The PLQ format change this year so Mod 6 - part 1 is now Mod 3. Mod 6 Inf is now Mod 4 but only the infantry has to do Mod 4 so would having the new Mod 3 count as having completed PLQ for other trades?

Now if, on the other hand, you had your BMOQ done, then it would qualify you as PLQ.  I am not so sure it works the other way around, as there are things on BMOQ that will not be taught on PLQ.

ezbeatz said:

Yes,  only the Infantry do the Infantry Mod 4;  BUT their is a Army Mod 4 that all non Infantry Soldiers do.

I don't know how PLQ works out for RCN and RCAF pers.

-Skeletor- said:
I don't know how PLQ works out for RCN and RCAF pers.

AFAIK, it is the CF PLQ QS and TP.  Some RCAF types do it at the ACA in Borden, I've known some to do it with the Navy in Halifax (CFNOS?) and Aldershot.

I've asked the same question since I also have a CT in from PRes NCM to RegF officer.  A qualified MCpl will bypass BMOQ, CAP, and proceed directly onto their trades course.  Upon completion of the trades course, they will be promoted to Lt.  This is the latest I've been told, but of course we're all unique and should get a specific answer straight from D Mil C 7.

Has anyone done a PLAR from ACISS-CST to ATIS yet?

1. Curious, just looking around for now, trying to keep informed and updated;
2. PSO has said start a PLAR through your chain, problem is my CoC isnt the sig type and wasnt sure what an ATIS tech was, :facepalm:
3. Legacy LCIS QL5 (including DL 2.0/2.1 transition courses) qualified as well as an abundance of OSQs and equipment courses.

Cheers

Back