• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs

Hey guys,
Im new to the forum. I recently applied for MP and they said they are waiting for a PLAR to be done and then they can give me a job offer. What is a PLAR, and how long does it usually take. I am so anxious to know if I am going to be accepted or not :cdn:

The gospel according to DAOD 5031-1, Canadian Forces Military Equivalencies Program
LINK

PLAR
PLAR is the formal process used to evaluate, accept and recognize prior learning.

An evaluation is conducted to establish to what extent the prior learning equates to the learning outcomes and standards of current CF training and education.

In some cases the conduct of PLAR may not be organizationally feasible or cost-effective.

The link -- up there in green -- will provide some fun-filled reading for you  ;)

elitesouljah said:
thank you so much. do you think if I have reached this point that I will be accepted?

I'm guessing that you have some type of past military or law enforcement experience that has made a PLAR necessary?  In that case, your acceptance, and at what level of training, rank, pay etc. depends on the results of the PLAR.

One quick question for the OP...

The requirements for application as a MP is either a Police Foundations Diploma, OR a Law and Security Administration Diploma.  Which do you have?

I received a call yesterday informing me that they were waiting for a PLAR.  I assume (Yes-I know the acronym) it's because I have a LASA diploma from 15 years ago, prior to Police Foundations existing, and they would like to determine if the educational training is similar.  In most cases it is, however, some of the more recent LASA programs have a defined difference from PF courses.

At the very least, it means that someone is looking at our files, which unless you've been told otherwise, is probably a good thing.

Good Luck!

A PLAR can take several days to several months depending on the backlog, and how familiar the management authority is with the education/training in question.

Military Police applicants have to have their processing completed, the PLAR done, and then go to a board for further interviews and such in Ontario.  Consult your recruiting centre on the status of your processing and see if they plan on sending you up for the next board.

agc said:
A PLAR can take several days to several months depending on the backlog, and how familiar the management authority is with the education/training in question.

Military Police applicants have to have their processing completed, the PLAR done, and then go to a board for further interviews and such in Ontario.  Consult your recruiting centre on the status of your processing and see if they plan on sending you up for the next board.

Well, if that's the case, it seems everyone goes through the PLAR process.  I've not heard any date for MPAC other than Oct/Nov, so it seems that the PLAR would be done in time to determine if we would be accepted to the next MPAC or perhaps the one after.

To the OP - I was also asked to provide a Drivers Abstract, which if you've not already done, will be a requirement.  In Ontario you can get it done for $30 online and it will be sent via E-mail in .pdf format within 24hours.  The recruiter said to print it off and bring it in, although, it will not have a genuine seal or signature to ensure it's valid, I assume it's a document they will verify as legitimate after submission.

General Question:
When speaking to the recruiter yesterday, I asked about the three MP References and when/if they would be needed.  I've already been through the CFAT, interview, and had my references checked from my original application.  When I asked about the MP References, the recruiter was somewhat puzzled by the question, and stated he'd not processed a MP application in awhile, and was unsure when in the process I would be needing them.  He recommended that I bring them in with my abstract, but stated he'd submitted files for MPAC review without them present.  My fear is that I will submit my MP References now, and find out that later in the process I will need to re-submit them because they are outdated.

Here is the reference form and accompanying questions, unfortunately I could not find a time-line as to when they were needed.
Any information or link to some defined dates or time-line would be appreciated.

http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/adm/pdp-pps/doc/cfpmsy-pmfcvs-eng.pdf

Regards,

Chrispi said:
Well, if that's the case, it seems everyone goes through the PLAR process.  I've not heard any date for MPAC other than Oct/Nov, so it seems that the PLAR would be done in time to determine if we would be accepted to the next MPAC or perhaps the one after.

To the OP - I was also asked to provide a Drivers Abstract, which if you've not already done, will be a requirement.  In Ontario you can get it done for $30 online and it will be sent via E-mail in .pdf format within 24hours.  The recruiter said to print it off and bring it in, although, it will not have a genuine seal or signature to ensure it's valid, I assume it's a document they will verify as legitimate after submission.

General Question:
When speaking to the recruiter yesterday, I asked about the three MP References and when/if they would be needed.  I've already been through the CFAT, interview, and had my references checked from my original application.  When I asked about the MP References, the recruiter was somewhat puzzled by the question, and stated he'd not processed a MP application in awhile, and was unsure when in the process I would be needing them.  He recommended that I bring them in with my abstract, but stated he'd submitted files for MPAC review without them present.  My fear is that I will submit my MP References now, and find out that later in the process I will need to re-submit them because they are outdated.

Here is the reference form and accompanying questions, unfortunately I could not find a time-line as to when they were needed.
Any information or link to some defined dates or time-line would be appreciated.

Regards,

PLARs are done whenever the applicant has any kind of post secondary education or training, prior service, or any other reason that might be in the applicant's interest.  All MPs have to have one done because post secondary is an entrance requirement.

You should not wait to submit your reference letters.

I have my police foundations diploma, passed the initial screen for the CF (CFAT, interview, medical, etc.) completed MPAC in June, when I called them they said that I did pass my MPAC and have been selected and is just waiting for a PLAR to be done to give me a job offer. After reading about PLAR I think I got accepted however my fingers are crossed until the day that everything is official. What is worrying me is that it is taking long it has been 7 weeks since my MPAC, one of the applicants that was at my MPAC said he had a job offer 10 days after our MPAC.

elitesouljah said:
about references I have never seen that form or have been asked to submit that in
If you haven't completed your reference check, your background check is likely not complete either.

elitesouljah said:
so that reference check is a requirement? at what point were we supposed to hand that in

Ideally you would submit the documents for the background check with the rest of the application.

You need to have satisfactory results on a credit check, criminal records check, reference checks, etc before you can be enrolled.

I just remember handing in all my paper work, when I called CFRC Toronto this week I asked them if I am missing anything and they said no, all they said was that they are waiting on a PLAR, but when I checked out the link above for the references I have never saw those sheets before.

If you think there is something wrong with your file, there is only one thing to do about it.

Chrispi said:
General Question:

Regards,

The Recruiter was confused because that is a VERY old form that we haven't used in the last three years. Don't worry about it, you don't need it ... your other references were used.

Good news guys, so I didnt need those reference letters after all. I got the call today and have been offered employment. I am going for BMQ in November!!!!!!!! I am feeling good.  :salute:

Good day,

I am just wondering if any one out there can tell me the process that happens on a PLAR?  How long does it take for a decision on the PLAR and if anyone has any info that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bubbs_25

Depending on what you are looking to get credit for it could take days to months.  Your OR should have the PLAR form and will be able to help you complete it.  The more documentation you provide the better.  IE:  Course Reports, Academic Transcripts, etc.  Again, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Back