• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs

DAOD 5031-1 also talks about the PLAR process and may be of some assistance.

MC

Like SGT-RMSCLK says...it depends.

An academic PLAR at RMC, with credits from a Canadian university, can be done in a week (usually 3-4 weeks).

A qualification PLAR from LFDTS (I have no idea who does the Airforce or Navy PLARs) takes months, and that's if all your course reports are together and your justification is strong. They consult/get recommendations from the respective schools, look over course equivalencies, see which outdated courses translate to what new qual, etc. It can be fairly complicated, hence takes more time.

Wook

For whom is the PLAR for - RMC?  University? Other organization?  Time and expectations differ depending on who it is...

Oh and BTW,  its supposed to be Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition - unless the CF has recently created their own definition of PLAR?

I am applying to the CF, my trade is not forecasted to be open until OCT 1 . I have previous time in (1year) I have BMQ but do not have any QL3 qualifications. Can a PLAR be requested by CFRC if my application has been submitted but has yet to be processed? I am looking to be granted BMQ bypass.
Thanks

Call the Recruiting Centre and talk to them about Recruit School By Pass

Ive been trying for about a week to contact my CFRC but i assume they must be swamped with the fiscal year ending, they have not answered their phone, i will continue to call

i will be out 5 years this NOV which is why i do not wish to wait for my trade to open in OCT my chances of getting RSBP will be slim if i wait too much longer.

If a PLAR is required, there should not be a problem in submitting it in time for any potential offer in the late fall.  Don't leave it to chance, though.  Make sure you're in touch with your recruiters again late in the summer.

I know it's a hard question to answer but I'm curious if my thinking is accurate in the timing of a Prior Learning Assessment for previous service.  I had mine sent in September and then re-sent in Late October.  I fully expect it to be 6 weeks - 6 months wait.
Trade choice and prior learning is all Log-O.  The CFRC could not give me any idea of a time frame to expect when I asked.

I'm content with the Wait, as it's nice to have the decision made to re-join.

Thanks,

It will likely be closer to 6 months.
I had one done last year, and it took close to 6 months; that includes the staff work at the unit.

I recruit for a reserve unit. I had one gent walk in the door fully a year ago. He was about 6 or 8 months out of the RCR; trade qualified in the infantry, deployment with recce platoon, stuff like that- but nothing particularly weird.

I got word within the past month that his PLAR had finally come back. It took them 11 months to determine that a regular force soldier who released a year and a half ago could enter the same trade in the reserves and keep all his quals. We swore him in on Thursday.

Hopefully this is a 'worst case' and proves to be a horror story rather than representative of the norm- but for no particular reason at all, it can take forever.

I waited a long time the first time around to get in, so waiting a few more months isn't going to kill me nor change my mind.  I have a pretty good job now, but really want a career that I have wanted since age 18.  It always amazes me when I think about the military career and the road I've taken thus far.

6-months is nothing to wait for something I know I want.

Thanks everyone.

it appears that my file has now been closed for DEO Log O, Received a phone call this morning stating I could re-apply in March if I wanted to pursue the Log trade.

I'm disappointing as I was hoping that by completing a PLAR on me it meant I had a position already and they were waiting for it to return to see where I would land.

More waiting I guess, I am going in to talk to the CFRC to discuss my options at present.

Saw this and think it somewhat applies:

“Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.”
― James A. Michener

SentryMAn said:
it appears that my file has now been closed for DEO Log O, Received a phone call this morning stating I could re-apply in March if I wanted to pursue the Log trade.

I'm disappointing as I was hoping that by completing a PLAR on me it meant I had a position already and they were waiting for it to return to see where I would land.

More waiting I guess, I am going in to talk to the CFRC to discuss my options at present.

Saw this and think it somewhat applies:

“Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.”
― James A. Michener

Hang in there, you'll make it. I've also heard that character is "doing the right thing even when no one is watching" - there's no reason that you can't continue to work out and take pride in yourself as an applicant.

It just really sucks to have them say you were merit listed and doing a PLAR then to be saying your file is now being closed and to re-apply in March.

If I have to wait for my PLAR to be complete while the trade is open I'm guessing I have a better chance of winning the lottery while not buying tickets then getting back in.

SentryMAn said:
It just really sucks to have them say you were merit listed and doing a PLAR then to be saying your file is now being closed and to re-apply in March.

If I have to wait for my PLAR to be complete while the trade is open I'm guessing I have a better chance of winning the lottery while not buying tickets then getting back in.

Trust me, I know the feeling. I passed an interview in which I was told that I was definitely getting an offer only to get a letter a few weeks later stating that I was medically unfit for service and that my file was closed. It took me several years to get everything in my life lined up such that I could correct the issue and make a new application. March? that's only a few months away. I consider my new application to have moved quickly, I submitted in March and got an offer in November.

SentryMAn said:

If you were already "merit listed", then your file should NOT be arbitrarily closed.  You should have been briefed as to why you were not selected, given advice on how to make yourself more competitive and provided you were willing to do so (ie; improve your application), the file can remain open for up to 12 months.

Essentially, Log closed while awaiting my PLAR.
Therefore my application will be sent to the "closed" pile

In March I will reapply and my file will be "opened" again where I will be able to start again where I left off.

It was a great conversation with the CFRC and I applaud them for putting up with my questions!

I was just worried I would have to re-do ALL the aspects of my application which as it turns out is not what will happen.

Back