• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My University Sacrificed Ideas for Ideology. So Today I Quit.

But that gives you so much more depth in understanding ‘why’ the world is the way it is.

Tangible benefit to a business? Perhaps. But understanding history is such an underrated source of wisdom in some ways.
I'd argue that it can - not that it does.
Reading, writing a few essays and getting a degree doesn't make one understand the world.
Now some folks will take away an understand too - but based on my experience that doesn't come with the degree - it comes from the individual.

Now some of the best classes I took where History, some of the Religious History classes I took gave me some pretty decent understanding of there world - and later in life I would get to see that unfold in person.

But generally a History Degree at least in practical terms my experience shows it is good for 1) entry to a post grad program 2) High School Teacher. 3) Has Been's who play at being R&D Engineering Directors ;)

Reading, writing a few essays and getting a degree doesn't make one understand the world.
Now some folks will take away an understand too - but based on my experience that doesn't come with the degree - it comes from the individual.

Now some of the best classes I took where History, some of the Religious History classes I took gave me some pretty decent understanding of there world - and later in life I would get to see that unfold in person.

But generally a History Degree at least in practical terms my experience shows it is good for 1) entry to a post grad program 2) High School Teacher. 3) Has Been's who play at being R&D Engineering Directors ;)

I'll take "Politics and Propaganda in the Cinema" for 6.0 credits in my History minor, Alex. Got to watch twenty movies including "Birth of a Nation" and "Executive Action". Did a lovely paper on the single, pristine bullet theory.

:giggle:

I recall chatting with the CIO of a major corporation about talent management in his organization and he came out with: "Thank God for my philosophy degree or I could never do this job." ;)

Back