• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
E.R. Campbell said:
There's no doubt in my mind that when we are reduced elevated to discussing the barmaids in The Black Bear it is time for a move to Radio Chatter.
...or the Photo Gallery  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:
There's no doubt in my mind that when we are reduced elevated to discussing the barmaids in The Black Bear it is time for a move to Radio Chatter.

No one, to my knowledge, has argued for limiting this recognition to the ladies of The Black Bear.

Indeed, such recognition should be given to all who Support Our Troops through the service industry.

I, for one, look forward to the 5e GBMC medals parade for their ardent supporters at l'Entre Nous; I'm certain there will be no difficulty in securing a long list of notables returning to participate.

I'll need a couple for teachers who have influenced me throughout my life (Mr Zorzi, Mr Fry and Mr Pond).

And damn ... what about the pets!!?? Do not let this medal discriminate against them for they are the only one who love us unconditionally and are sooooooooooo excited when we return from far-away places by peeing on the floor and your feet and all that neat stuff. Blingy collars all around!!

For the gentlemen of the forum (Edward and Old Sweat) --- may I suggest voyageur sashs be introduced into the dress regs for wear with DEU upon which you can hang your ladders?

DISCLAIMER:  Nothing at all to do with this medal, only the post above.

Hey, don't knock the dogs of war!

Dog_with_mask_WWI.jpg

Everyone focuses on things like horses, homing pigeons, IED-sniffing dogs or mules to carry weight, but it gets far cooler than that.

Did you know that in order to defeat rampaging elephants (think Alexander) the counter-strategy was developed to coat pigs in oil and light them on fire in order to terrify the elphants and break their ranks?

Also, the US spent millions in WW2 putting little timed incindiary backpacks on thousands of bats, with the intent of dropping them over Japan at night so they would find their way into the rafters of wooden Japanese buildings before sunlight, and then "poof" 10,000 fires start at the same time.  The project was so successful that the research factory burned down, but almost surely would have went ahead if not for the atomic bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_animal

OK, now is this over? Have we now agreed to award this new shiney to absolutely everyone and everything (except cadets who already have a lot of medals, anyway)?  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:
OK, now is this over? Have we now agreed to award this new shiney to absolutely everyone and everything (except cadets who already have a lot of medals, anyway)?  :nod:

Not quite.

We cannot overlook the notable roles played by the Legion of Frontiersmen in perpetuating, well, something.

Haggis said:
Not quite.

We cannot overlook the notable roles played by the Legion of Frontiersmen in perpetuating, well, something.

Damnit! You're right!

And they have waaaay better medals than the Air Cadets (follow the link in Baden Guy's post from earlier today).

E.R. Campbell said:
Damnit! You're right!

And they have waaaay better medals than the Air Cadets (follow the link in Baden Guy's post from earlier today).

Don't forget the Army cadets --- even I have Army cadet bling!!

Let's just gather up everything we can find and toss it on. That it the only way we can possibly compete with the Frontiersmen.

Someone better issue me a new chest soon; 'cause I don't have room for too much more bling!! If I was a guy they would issue me one if I asked!!

Okay.  I'm going to attach one of the gold foil-wrapped Twoonies I received for St. Pat's Day and put it on some funky coloured ribbon.  Since I think I might lose my SWASM (can you lose a medal you've been awarded?), I'll have to add another, to fill in the blank.  ;D

We could always bring back the Volunteer Decoration instead of the GGVSM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_Decoration

The ribbon would be cheaper and think of the post nominals.

BTW quick site admin point, should I start a new outrage bus er thread for the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal (QDJM) due in 2 years or can we just tack it onto this one?  :pop:

PMedMoe said:
(can you lose a medal you've been awarded?)

Depends on the medal.  Some can be rescinded by publishing ordinances stripping you of it, but that is very rare.

I'm not certain about the "I was there" type medals, though.

We best discuss it in the Black Bear after Edward and I get back to the Great White North.

Or we could simply merge it with one of the Legion of Frontiersmen threads.

ArmyVern said:
I'll need a couple for teachers who have influenced me throughout my life (Mr Zorzi, Mr Fry and Mr Pond).

And damn ... what about the pets!!?? Do not let this medal discriminate against them for they are the only one who love us unconditionally and are sooooooooooo excited when we return from far-away places by peeing on the floor and your feet and all that neat stuff. Blingy collars all around!!

For the gentlemen of the forum (Edward and Old Sweat) --- may I suggest voyageur sashs be introduced into the dress regs for wear with DEU upon which you can hang your ladders?

The British have beaten us to it. It's called the Dickin Medal (stop sniggering). It's the doggy VC:

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/19126.aspx

I understand the Brits. I can think of many, many dogs whose company I prefer to that of several quite senior officers, and a fair few NCOs, too. Some of those dogs, especially the border collies, were smarter, too - not just better company.

E.R. Campbell said:
Some of those dogs, especially the border collies, were smarter, too - not just better company.

Having served as did Edward in 1 BR Corps in the bad, old days when social station and accent dicated if one was an officer or an other rank in the British army, there were a number of (often titled) officers in what was known as the fractionalized cavalry (17/21 Lancers, 4/7 Dragoon Guards, 13/18 Hussars for example) who would not have done well in an intelligence test against a moderately bright canine. NOTE: there were many, many others who were switched on, smart and likeable, but the really dull ones used to stand out.

We also used to call Labrador Retrievers "Dogs, RA."

watusi said:
In the Nepean Weekender 13 April 2007, a Mr David W Palmer (Royal Canadian Legion, Barhaven Branch (Ottawa)) issued an open letter to the Governor General suggesting a Governor General Volunteer Service Medal (GGVSM) be issued to all present and former serving members to recognize volunteer service by members of Canada's Armed Forces since 1947. The medal wouuld have a bar naming the serving Governor General when the member became qualified. The ribbon would borrow the colours of the GG's flag, including the gold of the Lion set against the red and white of the Canadian Flag with a medallion carrying the GG's lion in rampant pose, ready to stand and serve with honour and pride.

He noted in particular dangers faced during the Cold War and in particular sailors performing dangerous naval missions without proper recognition, but that it should be made available to all.

Do you think a GGVSM should be issued to all former and serving members of the Armed Forces since 1947??  :cdn:
  There is a petition that can be seen at the following link: <a href="http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/volunteer-service-medal-for-our-veterans.html">Online petition - Petition for a Volunteer Service Medal for our Veterans (GGVSM)</a>
and further it is supported by the following:signatory No. 4977. Quote: "In 1983 he was promoted to Colonel and was appointed Deputy Commander – Special Service Force at CFB Petawawa. He subsequently assumed command of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, serving from 1985 to 1987" Unquote. Taken from the following Biography.

Major-General Robert (Bob) Gaudreau, CMM, CD (ret'd)

Colonel Commandant, Royal Canadian Army Cadets – 2004-07

The new Colonel Commandant of the RCAC, MGen Robert (Bob) Gaudreau, CMM, CD was born in Cowansville, QC and currently resides close to his birthplace in Glen Sutton, Québec. He started his career as a Signalman in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals in 1961 and was commissioned shortly thereafter in the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment (R22eR). After several years with the R22eR, including service with the United Nations he was promoted to Major in 1974 and Commanding Officer of 1 Commando – Canadian Airborne Regiment. Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1979, he was posted to Mobile Command (FMC) Headquarters and later commanded the 1st Battalion R22eR in Germany 1981-83. In 1983 he was promoted to Colonel and was appointed Deputy Commander – Special Service Force at CFB Petawawa. He subsequently assumed command of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, serving from 1985 to 1987, including a fourth tour of United Nations duty in Cyprus. Promotions to Brigadier-General in 1987 and to Major General in 1989 led to his appointment as the Commander, 1st Canadian Division. In 1992 the UN Secretary General appointed him Deputy Commander of the UN Protection Force
(UNPROFOR) in the former Yugoslavia. For his outstanding service in that theatre he was awarded Commander of the Order of Military Merit (CMM). MGen Gaudreau retired from the Canadian Forces in 1995 as the Deputy Commander, Land Force Command in St-Hubert, QC. He remains an active member of the R22eR Association, The Canadian Airborne Forces Association, the Airborne Regiment Association of Canada and sits on the Regimental Advisory Committee of the Royal Montreal Regiment. MGen Gaudreau took up his duties as Colonel Commandant of the Royal Canadian Army Cadets on September 1 st, 2004.

I support this initiative

PIC said:
  Promotions to Brigadier-General in 1987 and to Major General in 1989 led to his appointment as the Commander, 1st Canadian Division.

Not to be picky or anything, but those dates are wrong.  Major General Jack Dangerfield was Commander of 1 Can Div from 1989 to 1991. 

I think Bob Gaudreau was Commander 4 CMBG at the time of the Gulf War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back