• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
RGO said:
I'm with the 40% who think this is a good idea. For sure we don't want to have our DEU's looking like those of other militaries who get a medal every time they have a tactical fart -- however, since members of the CF represent a vast minority of Canadians who have chose to serve their country their service should be recognized. Many have or will not make it to 12 years for the CD. What about those who have worked hard for 8 years, 10, etc.? We don't do enough to recognize those who have the motivation to enrol, complete training and serve their country. My $0.02

Really? Veterans Plates, all the benefits from VAC, all the rememberance week activities (which in most cases aren't just about the war dead, but those who have served), the public acceptance and thanks we get daily (getting offered drinks in airports cause we're in uniform) etc etc. Never mind the Depart with Dignity stuff, departure scrolls, leaving gifts, all the benefits from the RCL and membership thereof.

Being able to say ' I was once a soldier/sailor/airperson*' should be enough.        *insert gender appropriate term for airforce here.       

I think we DO do enough for those who have served. How much backslapping do they need for doing 3-5-8 years and not doing an operational tour?

the 48th regulator said:
Being a Veteran, has already been given a Criteria by DND, and recognized by VAC.  Just a point, so as we do not mistake what a Veteran is....

Another dead horse beating, but even veterans organizations can not get their definition straight because The Legion has a different definition that includes current serving members.

Michael O'Leary said:
Thank you.

Now that the fact that the Australians have service medals has been posted once again, we can assume that any further posts on Australian medals will be a repetitive waste of bandwidth in discussing a Canadian medal proposal?

Or did you want to start a special thread where you can post the details of every Commonwealth long service medal for our reference?

Your welcome Michael.

That is a very good idea about Commonweatlh Long Service Medals, as it could satisfy many who are possibly curious (some collectors/or interested in collecting, etc) about what our sister nations offer their Defence Force Members. I would even be interested.

I'll start working on that.

As a Canadian, who sports the privillage of dual nationality, I feel what I discuss about this medal has rellevance, and the comparison to a similar award has merrit, considering what I have read, the ADM has been brought in by the petitioner. To Save others and those new to this post or site from digging thru a long thread, I thought it would be wise to repost some info, and add the LSM and Cadet awards, and I most humblely appologise if that was taken out of the original context I was trying to put accross.

Regards,

Wes

This thread has gone on waaaay too long and has, also, gone waaaay off the track.

Most countries, including Canada, have long service and good conduct medals (the CD for us); some have short service medals (Australia and the USA, to name two) - Canada does not; the consensus amongst Army.ca members is Thanks but no thanks.

There is a petition; lots of people signed it; in my opinion it will fail because I think that almost all senior officers will agree with almost all members here and say, "Thanks but no thanks" and the government of the day is very unlikely to institute an award against the expressed wishes of its most senior naval and military officers.

I will add my Thanks but No Thanks as well.

I also think this thread has outlived its usefulness.

locked usual caveats apply

Milnet.Ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back