• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

watusi77

Inactive
Reaction score
In the Nepean Weekender 13 April 2007, a Mr David W Palmer (Royal Canadian Legion, Barhaven Branch (Ottawa)) issued an open letter to the Governor General suggesting a Governor General Volunteer Service Medal (GGVSM) be issued to all present and former serving members to recognize volunteer service by members of Canada's Armed Forces since 1947. The medal wouuld have a bar naming the serving Governor General when the member became qualified. The ribbon would borrow the colours of the GG's flag, including the gold of the Lion set against the red and white of the Canadian Flag with a medallion carrying the GG's lion in rampant pose, ready to stand and serve with honour and pride.

He noted in particular dangers faced during the Cold War and in particular sailors performing dangerous naval missions without proper recognition, but that it should be made available to all.

Do you think a GGVSM should be issued to all former and serving members of the Armed Forces since 1947??  :cdn:

Why have you chosen to situate the "No" option as "No, too expensive"?  Could you not imagine any other argument against another medal?

My preferred choice would be "No, we don't need more stuff on our uniforms - we're not Americans, after all".

No. We have the CD, Special Service Medals, etc.

We don't need another handout one.

How about a bar to the SSM called "Service For Which Another Bar Has Not Been Given". (sarcasm)

In response to the individual who made the proposal in the open letter, I would remind him that The Queen, not the Governor General, is the fount of honour in Canada.  The GG is a representative.  We volunteer to serve Her Majesty, not Her Excellency.

Despite receiving a medal that one does not have to really do anything to be rewarded such an "award", in my opinion, it would be too much hassle to track down every serving member since 1947, and the costs would be deplorable issuing one to the thousands upon thousands of former, and current members.  I prefer the method of medals as it is now, excluding service and theater medals.  You have to perform an act of bravery to get recognition.  It prevents our tunics from looking like a sheet of medal (pun intended) ;D.

dapaterson said:
My preferred choice would be "No, we don't need more stuff on our uniforms - we're not Americans, after all".

Can't you just see it now:
I got this one for joining up,
I got this one for sleeping in a bag in winter,
I got this one for being shack rat once,
I got this one for fighting the Fantasians,
I got this one for going to Dundurn
I got this one for...
  :warstory:

Ahhh yes Dundern, GBty annual party....I mean weapons training.

We already have a volunteer medal issued for volunteer service to the UN and special UN missions. We just got it a few years back for the very reason the narrative requests above. Korea got a volunteer medal also so No NO NO.

While this thread is based on a newspaper article, maybe the follow-on discussion should be moved down to The Mess.

a) the topic falls outside of any concept of "military affairs" or relevant "news"
b) a GG Medal would unduly increase a wearer's number of medals in the same way as discussing this outside The Mess inflates a member's posting count -- with the value of both being of the same overall value  ::)

Perhaps if people kept to the subject of the news item, it could remain here in the News forum.

Michael O'Leary said:
Perhaps if people kept to the subject of the news item, it could remain here in the News forum.

As you pointed out in Reply #1, the poll provides limited options, hence the more ranging "discussion."

As much as I would like to ridicule this suggestion as being "American-like", and rest smugly on a belief that we, as soldiers (ex-soldiers) of the Queen, do not need a medal like this, I do have to recognize that our Commonwealth partner, Austrailia, appears to have a medal that is comparable to what is suggested.

Australian Defence Medal
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awards/medals/australian_defence_medal.cfm

Significance

The Australian Defence Medal recognises current and former Australian Defence Force personnel who completed an initial enlistment period, or four years service, whichever was the lesser.

History

The Australian Defence Medal was established on 20 March 2006 by Letters Patent. The gazette notice is available on the Attorney-General's website.

It recognises qualifying efficient service of current and former Australian Defence Force (ADF) Regular and Reserve personnel, including National Servicemen, who have served since the end of World War II.
Regulations governing the award of the Medal were gazetted on 30 March 2006.

How it is awarded

The Governor-General (or his delegate) awards the Australian Defence Medal on the recommendation of the Chief of the Defence Force (or his delegate).

The eligibility criteria requires completion of an initial enlistment period or four years service, whichever is the lesser. The criteria also includes those who could not serve the four-year qualifying period or complete an initial enlistment period for one or more of the following reasons:
 the death of a member during service;
 the discharge of the member as medically unfit due to compensable impairment;
 the discharge of the member due to a prevailing discriminatory Defence policy, as determined by the Chief of the Defence Force or his or her delegate.

Journeyman said:
As you pointed out in Reply #1, the poll provides limited options, hence the more ranging "discussion."

So I suppose we just wait for the poll to be clarified.  Rather than tossing the original poster's intent into the play room.

But it's not like some members to be patient and wait for clarification when an idea can be considered ripe for ridicule and senselessness.

Why are we so afraid of being like the Americans?  They are a fine fighting force whom we have ridiculed before for no reason.  So they have smarter looking dress uniforms than we do, maybe we could take a hint from them to fix the blandness of ours.

Kiwi99 said:
Why are we so afraid of being like the Americans?  They are a fine fighting force whom we have ridiculed before for no reason.  So they have smarter looking dress uniforms than we do, maybe we could take a hint from them to fix the blandness of ours.

By creating "gimme" medals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back