• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And besides, Edward, you and I will be hanging a ladder on our chests. Let's see, starting with Massey, Vanier and Michener, and then going downhill with political hacks and superannuated cabinet ministers.

E.R. Campbell said:
If we are going to award this gong IAW Haggis' excellent idea - a bar for each GG who served while the member served - then it can be awarded only at release/retirement, right? Thus serving members will never wear it and retired members can add it to their rack or not, as they see fit. Seems like a perfectly sensible idea, aside from the fact that it's a total waste of time, effort and money. I'm surprised it isn't policy already. </sarcasm>

No, with the appointment of each new GG, all bases, stations and garrisons will have a, um... "bar" parade to present new bars before the troops head off to the bars to celebrate having received another bar.

Old Sweat said:
And besides, Edward, you and I will be hanging a ladder on our chests. Let's see, starting with Massey, Vanier and Michener, and then going downhill with political hacks and superannuated cabinet ministers.

Clearly, we'll need a much longer ribbon than normal.  Perhaps the medal can be worn around the neck?

Haggis said:
Clearly, we'll need a much longer ribbon than normal.  Perhaps the medal can be worn around the neck?

Oh neat, kinda like a second third fourth whatever rate Companion of the Order of Something or Other; I haven't got one of those.

Maybe the "Order of Hanging About While Everyone Else Deployed.' (OHAWEED) Bingo! I think we've done it!

No, with the appointment of each new GG, all bases, stations and garrisons will have a, um... "bar" parade to present new bars before the troops head off to the bars to celebrate having received another bar.

Maybe that should be troops head to the shack to take off the old bar, replace with a new bar, then head to the bar to celebrate having received another bar.

Not required if the bars are replaced. This procedure will insure the soldiers know who is the GG.

And the rosette for select GGs will look like this:

images

;D

oh god  :brickwall:  must need  :coffee: realllllly bad or  :clubinhand: to the head.  This is starting to make sense.

CountDC said:
oh god  :brickwall:  must need  :coffee: realllllly bad or  :clubinhand: to the head.  This is starting to make sense.

Of course it does! It's really a good idea after all ... well not so good for Old Sweat who will suffer a herniated disk from the strain created by carrying the weight of all those GG bars on his gong.

Bring on the bling! Bling for everyone!  :D

Can we include Cadets?  That way my son can get some bling too!!

Got to think of the family.

CountDC said:

Got to think of the family.
I think all immediate family (parents, children, spouses, siblings) should receive a "Support the Troops" medal as they have supported us throughout our careers.

Bling all around!!  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
I think all immediate family (parents, children, spouses, siblings) should receive a "Support the Troops" medal as they have supported us throughout our careers.

Bling all around!!  :nod:

And don't forget the lovely barmaids in my local, who support the veterans!

Bling for them, too, in recognition of their special contribution to the defence of the realm in times of crisis - like during playoff hockey games when the place is full and they always remember to make sure my glass is always full.  :piper:

CountDC said:
See? That's what I'm talking about -- that whole generations' sense of entitlement.
He wants meaningless bling, tell him to start his own facebook petition  >:(

;D

....who knows, maybe some non-Canadian government will use their budget to create one for him

Journeyman said:
See? That's what I'm talking about -- that whole generations' sense of entitlement.
He wants meaningless bling, tell him to start his own facebook petition  >:(

;D

....who knows, maybe some non-Canadian government will use their budget to create one for him

Now Now - I didn't say he wanted it, I did specify I was thinking of the family.  Actually it would be one more thing for me to torture him about, along with ironing his uniform, polishing his boots and wearing a wallet on his head.  ;D

medicineman said:
Apparently not.
Hey, it's only been going since April 23, 2007, 15:45:32.
Although I don't know why it wasn't moved down to Radio Chatter back then, you still have to allow the "voters to decide" -- I guess they just need a wee bit more time.  ;D

E.R. Campbell said:
And don't forget the lovely barmaids in my local, who support the veterans!

Bling for them, too, in recognition of their special contribution to the defence of the realm in times of crisis - like during playoff hockey games when the place is full and they always remember to make sure my glass is always full.  :piper:
Mr. Campbell, I suggest you adopt them and that way they are family.  ;)

Journeyman said:
Hey, it's only been going since April 23, 2007, 15:45:32.
Although I don't know why it wasn't moved down to Radio Chatter back then, you still have to allow the "voters to decide" -- I guess they just need a wee bit more time.  ;D

My original answer was simply "NO", however I thought that it sounded a tad too sarcastic  :).  My suggestion is leave it on Facebook where it belongs so everyone else and their uncles/aunts can play too.

MM

CountDC said:
Now Now - I didn't say he wanted it, I did specify I was thinking of the family.  Actually it would be one more thing for me to torture him about, along with ironing his uniform, polishing his boots and wearing a wallet on his head.  ;D

Air Cadets seem to have lots of Medals, just borrow some of theirs.  >:D

There's no doubt in my mind that when we are reduced elevated to discussing the barmaids in The Black Bear it is time for a move to Radio Chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back