• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

I

I don’t disagree with the above at all, however I do question the routine correctional process in this case.
We know that Corrections did in fact inform the Ministers Office and the PMO that this was coming. Why would they do that if this was just a routine thing? The fact that both offices were notified with the intent of Corrections Canada Senior staff presumably being that both the PM and the Minister would be briefed on it does suggest to me something.
Just not sure what that something is… concurrence, approval, disapproval, heads up for the expected public uproar, something else?
perhaps they were looking for an excuse, any excuse, to keep him in max. They may not agree with the policy at all but had no choice given the rules, but to authorize the transfer.
Need to replenish their voter base.
They judged each case individually by comparison to their own standards and only allowed in those who equalled or exceeded their personal moral code.

Behind a pay wall, but writes about federal public servants not providing clear answers to inquiries by opposition MPs. Are they doing this because they think the LPC will appreciate?

MP Rempel-Garner has a few words:

Don't know if it is quite related to this thread, but for comparison sake: Yesterday, I watched Sixty Minutes on CBS. The main 40 minutes topic was the State of the US Navy. In depth interviews with two four stars (PacFLT and CNO). Straight -hard -questions and guess what: Straight hard answers. Clear, short, unambiguous answers that actually answered the question asked. And short answers, just a few words each time and short easy to understand words for anyone.

I wish our politicians, and even our public servants, top military brass included, could actually answer questions that way.

Don't know if it is quite related to this thread, but for comparison sake: Yesterday, I watched Sixty Minutes on CBS. The main 40 minutes topic was the State of the US Navy. In depth interviews with two four stars (PacFLT and CNO). Straight -hard -questions and guess what: Straight hard answers. Clear, short, unambiguous answers that actually answered the question asked. And short answers, just a few words each time and short easy to understand words for anyone.

I wish our politicians, and even our public servants, top military brass included, could actually answer questions that way.
Ambiguity means non-commitment.

The reason why people think politicians are dishonest is because they equivocate so much. Ironically, they equivocate because they are trying to be honest about their positions without offending anyone, thus trying not to lie. This is why some people like politicians who speak decisively, even though what they are saying is complete BS.

Testifying before a Congressional committee as opposed to a Parliamentary committee are universe's apart.
Just ask Lew Mackenzie.

Liberals: We're at war! Not since the beaches of Normandy has there been such a battle for democracy!

Facebook decided that Canada was a small country, small enough that they could reject our asks. They made the wrong choice by deciding to attack Canada. We want to defend democracy. This is what we’re doing across the world, such as supporting Ukraine. This is what we did during the Second World War. This is what we’re doing every single day in the United Nations.

Also Liberals: Hey have you seen the economy? Money is tight.

Liberal party officials confirmed they plan to continue political advertising on the social networks, suggesting that principled opposition ends when there might be a political cost involved.

Testifying before a Congressional committee as opposed to a Parliamentary committee are universe's apart.
Just ask Lew Mackenzie.
I’ve testified before a Parliamentary committee. Is was a pretty grounded and mature affair. Granted it wasn’t on a super contentious issue, but there wasn’t any appreciable BS going on, at least not while I was there. I think our committees are a bit better about trying to get real work done, most of the time, at least.

Scary scenario: Tories win the most seats, but Trudeau and the Liberals continue to govern with the support of the NDP. Constitutionally legal, but not electorally legitimate.

Depends on what you consider electorally legitimate. Odds are a Liberal-NDP coalition would have somewhere in the range of +/- 45% of the vote well the Conservatives would have only about 33-38%.

Not saying I want a Liberal-NDP coalition but saying it is not electorally legitimate is a large stretch.

Scary scenario: Tories win the most seats, but Trudeau and the Liberals continue to govern with the support of the NDP. Constitutionally legal, but not electorally legitimate.

This is exactly what I have been saying for a couple years on here.

This is exactly what I have been saying for a couple years on here.
This is the governing system used in most European democracies. They are almost always a coalition setup. But isn't it normal for the largest single party to have a go at forming that coalition first? If that is the case I could see the bloc joining with the conservatives.

This is the governing system used in most European democracies. They are almost always a coalition setup. But isn't it normal for the largest single party to have a go at forming that coalition first? If that is the case I could see the bloc joining with the conservatives.
And what does that say about a party with largest numbers not able to secure a coalition or the confidence of the house from the get go.

Bloc joining with the CPC would be a death blow for the CPC. Heck the Bloc joining with anyone would be a death blow.

Depends on what you consider electorally legitimate. Odds are a Liberal-NDP coalition would have somewhere in the range of +/- 45% of the vote well the Conservatives would have only about 33-38%.

Not saying I want a Liberal-NDP coalition but saying it is not electorally legitimate is a large stretch.
It is electorally not legitimate because we do not use a popular vote system, so total popular vote is electorally irrelevant. As well, if political parties do not campaign on forming a coalition, then I submit they have lied to the public in order to gain power and the GG should not allow them to form a government. Doing that (and exactly what the NDP and Liberals have done) is a sneaky bait and switch on the electorate and should have forced everyone back to the polls to decide if that's what they want.

Back