• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
PuckChaser said:
Your quote proved my point. They were selling access to children and teenagers, and built a few schools. Oxfam, UNICEF, SOS Children's Villages all can do the exact same thing as WE Charity without the corporate branding on its charitable works. Did you even read the article? Why would they have graphs and spreadsheets about positive views of companies who work with them, if the charity work spoke for itself?

It didn't speak for itself. Apparently, those bros are NOT actually very good at charity work. So, they sold their souls to corporate ownership.

Your disparaging a kid who couldn't make enough profit at their lemonade stand until Minute Maid offered to sponsor them in exchange for only selling Minute Maid lemonade and having a big corporate sign at their booth. Who cares! The kid is happy and making enough money know to get new streamers on their bike!

Just read an article in which the CPC and Bloc is saying that if Morneau and Trudeau don't resign, they could face a snap election in the fall.  Personally I think making people vote now will tick off many voters and the results will be the same as they are now with the Liberals possibly getting a majority.  The only thing Scheer is doing by demanding their resignations is making noise.  It's not going to happen and he knows it.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-and-morneau-should-resign-or-risk-snap-election-opposition-1.5037639

Lumber said:
It didn't speak for itself. Apparently, those bros are NOT actually very good at charity work. So, they sold their souls to corporate ownership.

Your disparaging a kid who couldn't make enough profit at their lemonade stand until Minute Maid offered to sponsor them in exchange for only selling Minute Maid lemonade and having a big corporate sign at their booth. Who cares! The kid is happy and making enough money know to get new streamers on their bike!

No, I'm disparaging crony capitalism at its worst. Niave children and teenagers were marketed to corporations without their knowledge or consent when they really just wanted to help out people who are less advantaged than they are. Kielburger and the Liberals have used the good deeds of kids as a way to sell them @#$@ing car insurance or cell phones. There's something to be said for informed consent.

You must not have a child in a school that's all aboard for the WE Charity. I'm disgusted that my kids were quietly marketed to by using their desire to do good in this world.

stellarpanther said:
Just read an article in which the CPC and Bloc is saying that if Morneau and Trudeau don't resign, they could face a snap election in the fall.  Personally I think making people vote now will tick off many voters and the results will be the same as they are now with the Liberals possibly getting a majority.  The only thing Scheer is doing by demanding their resignations is making noise.  It's not going to happen and he knows it.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-and-morneau-should-resign-or-risk-snap-election-opposition-1.5037639

CTV missed this quote when making their first paragraph, the BQ are the ones talking election. Tories don't want one right now.

Scheer said that with the House currently not sitting in a manner that would allow for a confidence vote, and given his party is still in the process of electing his replacement, now is not the time to explore the snap election route.

PuckChaser said:
No, I'm disparaging crony capitalism at its worst. Niave children and teenagers were marketed to corporations without their knowledge or consent when they really just wanted to help out people who are less advantaged than they are. Kielburger and the Liberals have used the good deeds of kids as a way to sell them @#$@ing car insurance or cell phones. There's something to be said for informed consent.

A bad deed, done for good reasons, is still worth a half-nickle and a trollie ride to the flee circus.

PuckChaser said:
CTV missed this quote when making their first paragraph, the BQ are the ones talking election. Tories don't want one right now.

Politics 100% aside, this is not the time for an election.

Unless you're the US, then please god let there be an election.

stellarpanther said:
It's not going to happen and he knows it.

It wasn't very long these kind of ethical lapses guaranteed a resignation.... my how the times have changed.

stellarpanther said:
Just read an article in which the CPC and Bloc is saying that if Morneau and Trudeau don't resign, they could face a snap election in the fall.

The PM could also trigger an election himself.  With the CPC essentially leaderless and in disarray and the Bloc and NDP to broke to campaign effectively, this would be his ticket back to a crushing majority.

Lumber said:
Politics 100% aside, this is not the time for an election.

Unless you're the US, then please god let there be an election.

The CPC doesn't want an election right now, even with this WE scandal the Liberals are polling near majority territory, and they don't have a leader. Scheer said it outright, whether to go for a snap election is a decision that will be left for the incoming leader. They're instead trying to make the Liberal Party implode on itself under Trudeau's leadership, which is probably the right move right now. At first I was thinking "don't try and coax them into a mutiny or else they'll batten down the hatches," but now I'm not so sure about that.

I'm not sure what the Bloc is reading in Quebec sentiments that make them think it'd be an advantageous time for them either.

Edit: The wrong move was calling for his resignation too early, a mistake they made with SNC and have now repeated. There's still lots of time to build more and more outrage before taking that shot. Like perhaps after the Ethics Commissioner rules on it, or at least after the committee hearings which I am quite sure are going to be spectacular.... a Prime Minister and Chief of Staff being put in front of a Parliamentary committee to testify under oath? Just think of the possible fireworks of Pierre Pollievre questioning Justin Trudeau and he'll have nowhere to hide.

Haggis said:
The PM could also trigger an election himself.  With the CPC essentially leaderless and in disarray and the Bloc and NDP to broke to campaign effectively, this would be his ticket back to a crushing majority.

I am quite positive they were planning on it... this WE scandal may have put that plan on the backburner.

Rethinking my comment and reading other comments. maybe Trudeau should call an election now while they still have fairly good numbers.  He can once again apologize for the WE misunderstanding and the error in judgement but remind everyone that he had the best intensions at heart.  He can say the country can't afford to have the opposition playing politics and causing distraction while we continue to deal with a devastating pandemic because it's downright shameful for them doing this.  I think he might just get a majority. 
He has my vote as of now.

ballz said:
The CPC doesn't want an election right now, even with this WE scandal the Liberals are polling near majority territory, and they don't have a leader. Scheer said it outright, whether to go for a snap election is a decision that will be left for the incoming leader.

No it won’t. The incoming CPC leader will be as incapable as the outgoing one of forcing an election. The balance of power is such that the CPC, NDP, and Bloc all need to agree it’s time to force an election. The LPC are in as safe a position as they possibly can be in a minority government. No matter who the leader of the opposition is, what counts is still the number of seats and votes they command when it comes to a confidence matter.

stellarpanther said:
Rethinking my comment and reading other comments. maybe Trudeau should call an election now while they still have fairly good numbers.  He can once again apologize for the WE misunderstanding and the error in judgement but remind everyone that he had the best intensions at heart.  He can say the country can't afford to have the opposition playing politics and causing distraction while we continue to deal with a devastating pandemic because it's downright shameful for them doing this.  I think he might just get a majority. 

Misunderstanding? Best intentions at heart? Downright shameful? What's shameful is suspending full parliament and getting caught like the rules don't apply to him or other members of the Liberal Party.  Put it this way, if you worked for me and behaved like them you would be on the way out of the CAF on your ass. The fact that enough people think like you and are willing to forgive and forget is why this country is heading towards an abyss.

Lumber said:
Anyways, her response was essentially "so what, it doesn't matter who in charge they all do this, would you rather have a conservative government? F**k... now we're going to have a conservative government." (to be clear, not that you have any right or need to know, neither of us voted liberal in the last election)

Your wife sounds like a very smart woman.  They all try to do whatever they can for their own self interests.  I don't have much trust in any of them but that might just be me.  I have trust issues.

Brihard said:
No it won’t. The incoming CPC leader will be as incapable as the outgoing one of forcing an election. The balance of power is such that the CPC, NDP, and Bloc all need to agree it’s time to force an election. The LPC are in as safe a position as they possibly can be in a minority government. No matter who the leader of the opposition is, what counts is still the number of seats and votes they command when it comes to a confidence matter.

I should have been more precise with my language, I understand the mechanism / what pieces need to be in place. By "go for" I meant that it will be up to the new leader whether or not that's something they want to attempt / go after / make a play for / etc., not that he'd be in a position to be able to make that happen all on his own like flipping a switch.

Chief Engineer said:
Misunderstanding? Best intentions at heart? Downright shameful? What's shameful is suspending full parliament and getting caught like the rules don't apply to him or other members of the Liberal Party.  Put it this way, if you worked for me and behaved like them you would be on the way out of the CAF on your ***. The fact that enough people think like you and are willing to forgive and forget is why this country is heading towards an abyss.

Unless you're the CDS or CAFCWO, some how I doubt I would be on my way out.  I've seen people do some pretty bad stuff, steal the boss's stamp and make thousands of dollars in CF52 claims, get caught, found guilty, loose the leaf but not pay back the money.  Another guy flipped the RSM's desk because he got yelled at and instead got 3 months off for stress leave.  I'd be surprised if I even got called into the captains cubicle. lol  This stuff happens all the time, it's just that they have nothing else to complain about right now so they're harping on this.  Move on already, this story is getting boring.  This also isn't about me, it's about Scheer having a deep hate of Trudeau.  Let's not make this personal.

stellarpanther said:

I suspect there was never any doubt. Respctfully, your eagerness to look the other way and almost gleefully ignore this dishonourable behavior by Trudeau and friends is fuel for corruption in our government.

stellarpanther said:
Unless you're the CDS or CAFCWO, some how I doubt I would be on my way out.  I've seen people do some pretty bad stuff, steal the boss's stamp and make thousands of dollars in CF52 claims, get caught, found guilty, loose the leaf but not pay back the money.  Another guy flipped the RSM's desk because he got yelled at and instead got 3 months off for stress leave.  I'd be surprised if I even got called into the captains cubicle. lol  This stuff happens all the time, it's just that they have nothing else to complain about right now so they're harping on this.  Move on already, this story is getting boring.
I've been to some pretty shitty places in the world, I think I'd rather live there than the world you seem to live in. It seems very rotten.

stellarpanther said:

Let me get this straight, in an another thread regarding TD you had no problem telling a CO that they were not entitled to a request due to it not being within the rules. So what is the difference here? The PM and FM both have violated clear rules and regulations of public servants and as you should know , best intentions nor ignorance are valid reasons for breaking those directives. Just because other parties do this is not a reason why we shouldn't hold these officials to account.
This nepotism, scratching of backs and quid pro quo actions of senior ministers have to stop. The general public's faith in government has been on a downward trend for years and actions like this where there are clear violations of directives just cements the public opinion against government.

Shoulder shrugging attitudes like yours does nothing to make government better for the people and enticing better quality people to run for public office.

NAVCEN said:
Shoulder shrugging attitudes like yours does nothing to make government better for the people and enticing better quality people to run for public office.

It actually makes things worse and encourages the worst people to run.

NAVCEN said:
This nepotism, scratching of backs and quid pro quo actions of senior ministers have to stop. The general public's faith in government has been on a downward trend for years and actions like this where there are clear violations of directives just cements the public opinion against government.

There's a difference between naive conflict of interest, and actual conscious corruption. From everything I've read, the Trudeaus have been supporters of WE charity for a long time, not because they are giving them kick backs, but because they actually believe it is a good charity. Say what you will about the leadership and governing skills of Prime Minister, but he actually does actauly beleive charity.

I'm not saying there was NOT corruption, I'm just saying you haven't proved to me that they weren't just really stupid in not seeing the conflict of interest here.

NAVCEN said:
Let me get this straight, in an another thread regarding TD you had no problem telling a CO that they were not entitled to a request due to it not being within the rules. So what is the difference here?

Yup. Apply ethics and rules to some people and happily ignore it when dealing with others. How many of us have seen that in the CAF?  It's disgusting behavior wherever you see it.

Lumber said:
There's a difference between naive conflict of interest, and actual conscious corruption. From everything I've read, the Trudeaus have been supporters of WE charity for a long time, not because they are giving them kick backs, but because they actually believe it is a good charity. Say what you will about the leadership and governing skills of Prime Minister, but he actually does actauly beleive charity.

I'm not saying there was NOT corruption, I'm just saying you haven't proved to me that they weren't just really stupid in not seeing the conflict of interest here.

I think you have a good point and I think in some cases its just stupidity and perhaps some arrogance mixed in. Naivety or not after multiple instances I personally don't think they should be leading the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back