• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

It can, just not in the same way. Paul Martin did pretty well dethroning Jean Chretien by backroom maneuvering.

If the divisions in the LPC come out, they have proven just as, if not more capable, of turfing leaders as the CPC are. When your team is on top it can be hard to remember that it wasn't that long ago the LPC was the third party in the house
Every party has dissenting opinions.

Are you particularly worried that the CPC has MPs coming out slamming the convoy as well as those supporting them? Probably not.

Besides, Lightbound is pretty clear, he doesn't support the truckers. He wants them to leave. He just doesn't like the tone of the PM or the mandates in place.

I’m no legal expert. But I think that failure to follow the injunctions (enforced or not) will only strengthen the lawsuit that is happening. It’s just another tool.
I am almost certain that even if the lawsuit is successful they will not collect a dime.

I am almost certain that even if the lawsuit is successful they will not collect a dime.
Possibly. But there is a nice fundraiser that might be available. Not sure how that all works. But we’ll see.

Every party has dissenting opinions.

Are you particularly worried that the CPC has MPs coming out slamming the convoy as well as those supporting them? Probably not.

Besides, Lightbound is pretty clear, he doesn't support the truckers. He wants them to leave. He just doesn't like the tone of the PM or the mandates in place.
Actually, I am concerned that the CPC is going to fracture... So there goes your "gotcha". Still playing the partisan games, rather than at least attempting to step back, and see things from a more balanced perspective?

The connection between Mr. Lightbound and the protest, is that the protest is encouraging those who oppose mandates to speak up. I've said before, but apparently I need to clarify again, I don't support the protest. I do support an end to the vaccine mandates though, and an end to the constant wedges being driven between Canadians.

That said, I do appreciate the trolling, and humour being deployed by the protesters, I am human after all. The jerry cans filled with water or Kool-Aid is epic.

I’m no legal expert. But I think that failure to follow the injunctions (enforced or not) will only strengthen the lawsuit that is happening. It’s just another tool.
It's not the arrest that screws someone, it's the mountains of bureaucratic paperwork, legal bills, court appearances, etc that follow ;)

Short of killing someone or committing some sort of felony, most arrests result in some sort of minimal slap on the wrist at best in terms of what the actual punishment is. If you don't comply with the Police Ordered Conditions though (aka don't do any of these things while we get to the bottom of this)..... OH BOY LOOKOUT!

Actually, I am concerned that the CPC is going to fracture... So there goes your "gotcha". Still playing the partisan games, rather than at least attempting to step back, and see things from a more balanced perspective?
It's the Westminster system, party control only has so much power. Look at the current crisis PM Johnson is dealing with in the UK as an example of MPs in open revolt. I don't see that here.

So taking a step back, yes, the protests are putting pressure on MPs, and polarizing Canadians, which does lead to someone like Lightbound to come out and say what he did. But the question that needs to be asked, is this a MP speaking his mind, or a open revolt?
The connection between Mr. Lightbound and the protest, is that the protest is encouraging those who oppose mandates to speak up. I've said before, but apparently I need to clarify again, I don't support the protest. I do support an end to the vaccine mandates though, and an end to the constant wedges being driven between Canadians.
Huh. Could have fooled me. I also support the end of mandate, but likely for different reasons than your own.
That said, I do appreciate the trolling, and humour being deployed by the protesters, I am human after all. The jerry cans filled with water or Kool-Aid is epic.
Meh.

Rebel Forces?

Presumably someone's idea of a joke/hoax. No-one in Canada is stupid enough to pull the kind of insurrection/revolt/coup hysteria-fanning behaviour seen in the US.

And neither am I, except having been accused years ago of tending to the barracks room type. However, as I understand it, the order for the injunction against horn blowing (a civil action) will not automatically put police authorities into gear to enforce it. In some hasty research into how the system works it would seem that the normal path followed is: (an opinion from our resident lawyer would be appreciated)

Civil suit filed with specific injunctive relief sought
Judge issues order of injunction
Respondents do not comply
Applicants file that respondents are in contempt of court order
Judge rules they are in contempt and then issues an enforcement order
Police now get involve enforcing that specific order
Attorney General may (or may not) seek "criminal" contempt of court charges for further non-compliance
Police could then start arresting non-compliant respondents

This seems to be the pattern followed in most of the pre-pandemic protests (i.e., BC logging, pipelines, First Nations)

Some discussion of it in "THE NEW NORMAL? NATURAL RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT, CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, AND INJUNCTIVE RELIEF" from the 2017 Alberta Law Review https://albertalawreview.com/index.php/ALR/article/download/1248/1237/1353

V. ENFORCING THE ORDER
A. CONTEMPT PROCEEDINGS

The traditional remedy for intentionally violating an injunction is a contempt of court proceeding. There are two forms of contempt proceedings: civil (brought within the underlying civil proceeding) and criminal (brought by the Attorney General, who will be responsible for prosecuting the proceeding). Typically, criminal contempt requires proof of “public defiance” of the order. The elements of the offences are the same, although there are differences in sentencing options, as well as the stigma associated with the proceeding.

A party commits the offence of contempt by the “intentional doing of an act which is in fact prohibited by the order.” The moving party must establish that:
1. The contemnor had personal service or knowledge of the order; and
2. the contemnor “deliberately or wilfully or knowingly did some act that was designed to result in the breach of a court order.”

To establish a breach, the contemnor need not have intended to breach the order or put themselves in contempt. The moving party need only prove the contemnor wilfully did some act, which resulted in the breach of the order.87 Good faith belief that an order is constitutionally invalid or is likely to be set aside on appeal is not grounds to refuse to comply with a court order. The proper procedure to attack an order issued erroneously, even if it is an ex parte order, is to apply to the court to vary or vacate the order. As the Ontario High Court of Justice put it in Ontario (Ontario Securities Commission) v. Gaudet:

[O]ne could not ignore an order of this court simply because one held the opinion that it was ineffective on constitutional grounds, or on any other grounds. The order stood, and must be obeyed, until it was reversed on appeal, or an equally effective order was secured to the effect that it need not be obeyed. If that were not so, any order of the court which on its face was plainly directed to everyone could be disobeyed by those who held the opinion that they were not subject to it. Thus, the mere opinion, which may be wrong, elevates he who holds it to the level of the court, and wipes the order off the record. In my opinion, it is not only novel, it is fallacious. The proper way to establish, or seek to establish, that the prohibition was not effective was on an application to this court for leave.88

The purpose of a contempt finding is not simply to provide a remedy to the moving party, but to uphold the dignity of the court and protect the proper administration of justice.89

As a practical matter, however, a private party who seeks an injunction may not have the preservation of the rule of law as its overriding concern when considering whether to bear the time and expense to bring contempt proceedings. Retroactive punishment for breaching an injunction order does not achieve the objective of preventing the enjoined behaviour. Thus, except perhaps in cases of repeated and ongoing acts of civil disobedience, where punitive measures may be necessary to prevent defendants from repeating their actions (specific deterrence) and to deter others (general deterrence), contempt proceedings may be an unnecessary expense for a private party to bear. Accordingly, where the practical objective of allowing the necessary work to be completed can be achieved through other means, that may be preferable. In this regard, enforcement orders, which specifically authorize law enforcement officials to take measures to enforce an injunction, are increasingly becoming the predominant means of achieving that result.

B. ENFORCEMENT ORDERS
1. PROCEDURAL CONSIDERATIONS

As noted earlier, law enforcement agencies have adopted a policy of non-intervention in respect of civil disobedience until a civil injunction has been granted. Even after an injunction is granted, however, further steps are often required before police will typically begin making arrests. Specifically, in non-violent situations, law enforcement officials will generally refrain from arresting individuals who violate the injunction without an additional “enforcement order” that specifically authorizes them to enforce the injunction.

Until recently, such enforcement orders were not usually granted at the same time as the injunction order itself. A two-step process was normally required: it was necessary to first obtain the injunction, serve it on the protesters, and then go back to court with a second application for an enforcement order with evidence that the injunction was not being obeyed. The second application required affidavit evidence concerning the service of the order and the protesters’ refusal to comply with its terms.

While the judge issued an injunction against horn blowing, I haven't seen anything that mentions an enforcement order, but I could have missed it.

Last edited:
The protesters erred by not preempting the court order by announcing they only blow their horns at designated spots and at designated hours, away from most of the residents.

It has been almost seven months since I've retired. I didn't realize that the CAF now has Storm Troopers and laser guns.
What is the effective range of a laser gun of a Storm Trooper?
Do they even have range time or it is on simulators to save costs? How ammo does /energy packs do those things have?
Do we now have Star Destoryers?

WOW!

Back