• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

They might not accept they are the pigs in the analogy but that doesn't mean they aren't. There is no group of people on this planet with more rights, opportunities, and freedoms than a aboriginal in Canada. There is obviously historical issues, but that doesn't mean that there isn't many benefits which come with those historical issues and treaties as well.

As to those who claim a double standard for if this was a Aboriginal protest that is simply seeing this though extremely biased eyes to attempt to push their race based agenda. We literally had the police refuse to enact a court order to evict them off the tracks and actually went and sat with them instead the last time we had major protests like this. So far if anything they have been harsher to the truckers as I don't recall seeing them preventing resources from getting into the railway blockers.

I am beginning to see the logic behind the governments intent to ban firearms though. You marginalize and discriminate against 10% of your population actively, you certainly don't want them to have the ability to resist you. It only takes 10% of the population not following a law for it to become ineffective as you no longer can enforce it.
The "they" who went and sat with the protestors at the Tyendinaga blockade were members of the Provincial Liaison Team and possibly the Incident Commander, which was formed as a result of the Ipperwash Inquiry to try and defuse. The court order was enforced, just not right away. Police still have to consider public safety over financial (CN) interests. Many protests have a habit of including kids and the elderly, just begging for adverse press. And there is always concern about weapons at any civil unrest. Trust me, there is much more police intelligence on this aspect that the public is aware of. Aboriginal protests and blockades are just as prone to 'rogue elements' as any other.
I will be curious to read the numerous reports from the government (all levels) inquiries that will be initiated as a result of this pandemic and the City of Ottawa response to this protest.

I wonder if our Health Care System (all levels) will get the necessary attention that it deserves and hopefully a long term fix. I know that this is a complex Federal/Provincial government issue. Stable long term funding is only one of the many required solutions. My daughter works in health care and she has strong views on the issues and how to fix them.

I wonder if Canada will have a more robust Pandemic Response System and structure with stable long term funding.

I wonder how the public reaction to the political parties and involved Law Enforcement agencies will be after the inquires are published. I wonder how many "I told you so" persons / agencies will point fingers.

I wonder how the Federal, Provincial and City government will deal with protests such as the Trucker's Convoy Protest in the future? Do we equip the police to the extent like they do in the USA? Set up a joint crisis management team to deal the protest - joint statements unlike now?

I wonder how the Ontario gov't will view the City of Ottawa with respect to political support, Law Enforcement and resources. IMO, historically the City of Toronto and its surrounding metropolitan area (Golden Horseshoe) tends to the be the focus of the Premier. and the cabinet. Ottawa tends to be forgotten because of the Federal gov't and the National Capital Commission (NCC) here.

I wonder how the Ottawa City Council will view funding towards the OPS. Wi ll the OPS approach to policing change? More funding or change in the funing model?

Despite all the criticism directed towards the OPS, I still support them as well as the other involved law enforcement and supporting agencies (RCMP, OPP, Parliament Hill Protective Services). Not an easy job considering the resources they had and the political pressure that they had to deal with.

Cheers
I would suspect one of the first asks will be for a larger base subsidy from the feds to cover the spin-offs from its presence.

I also suspect that the Chief's contract may come under greater consideration when it is up for renewal, whenever that is (he's been Chief since 2019). It seems that having a leader who ticks all of the 'soft' boxes of inclusion, diversity, community, etc. plus the 'hard' boxes' of solid and decisive operational leadership when things get messy is a ongoing challenge.

Good point. I imagine that health care systems are not built for pandemics of this magnitude.

Maybe we’ve been lucky so far but if pandemics are predicted to be a thing (a normal state of things) then maybe we should have something that can contract and expand in order to adapt. I have no idea how that would work (ie have a military that could actually augment the health care system by say 10% in those cases or have an infrastructure plan already in place for overflow or cross train health care providers and first responders or even create a funded volunteer force that could activate. Just spit balling here but fix what we have and make sure it can adapt to fluctuations caused by things like a pandemic.

For context. To have a system that could expand or augment by 10% (whether it be military or otherwise), the number of regulated health care professionals in a direct patient care role that would be needed (sitting around, waiting, hopefully keeping skills intact) would be:
  • NPs: 606
  • PTs : 2341
  • Pharmacists: 3880
  • LPNs: 11371
  • RNs: 25887
  • RPNs: 519
  • OTs: 1525
  • Physicians: 9217
  • Total 55346
(LPNs: Licensed practical nurses; NPs: Nurse practitioners; OTs: Occupational therapists; PTs: Physiotherapists; RNs: Registered nurses; RPNs: Registered psychiatric nurses.)

And that doesn't calculate the numbers of other professionals (lab, diagnostic imaging, etc) as well as non-regulated support staff (cleaners, admin, food svc, maintenance, etc) needed to provide patient care. Obviously, there is some hyperbole in this calculation.

I arrived at these numbers from

... It's great that a Carlton U prof wants CISIS to start spying on Canadians, and compiling lists of people who support wrongthink. Makes you wonder how worried the Laurentian Elites are getting, and if they are starting to grasp the consequences of wedge politics.
I wonder if those calling for this think about how happy they'd be if, because of a change of government, targeting priorities change to the point where they might be included in the new fishing net? ALWAYS great when someone you don't like gets snared, not so much if you might.

I wonder if those calling for this think about how happy they'd be if, because of a change of government, targeting priorities change to the point where they might be included in the new fishing net? ALWAYS great when someone you don't like gets snared, not so much if you might.
The people in power never really think about what happens when they are no longer in power.

I will be curious to read the numerous reports from the government (all levels) inquiries that will be initiated as a result of this pandemic and the City of Ottawa response to this protest.

I wonder if our Health Care System (all levels) will get the necessary attention that it deserves and hopefully a long term fix. I know that this is a complex Federal/Provincial government issue. Stable long term funding is only one of the many required solutions. My daughter works in health care and she has strong views on the issues and how to fix them.

I wonder if Canada will have a more robust Pandemic Response System and structure with stable long term funding.

I wonder how the public reaction to the political parties and involved Law Enforcement agencies will be after the inquires are published. I wonder how many "I told you so" persons / agencies will point fingers.

I wonder how the Federal, Provincial and City government will deal with protests such as the Trucker's Convoy Protest in the future? Do we equip the police to the extent like they do in the USA? Set up a joint crisis management team to deal the protest - joint statements unlike now?

I wonder how the Ontario gov't will view the City of Ottawa with respect to political support, Law Enforcement and resources. IMO, historically the City of Toronto and its surrounding metropolitan area (Golden Horseshoe) tends to the be the focus of the Premier. and the cabinet. Ottawa tends to be forgotten because of the Federal gov't and the National Capital Commission (NCC) here.

I wonder how the Ottawa City Council will view funding towards the OPS. Wi ll the OPS approach to policing change? More funding or change in the funing model?

Despite all the criticism directed towards the OPS, I still support them as well as the other involved law enforcement and supporting agencies (RCMP, OPP, Parliament Hill Protective Services). Not an easy job considering the resources they had and the political pressure that they had to deal with.

Cheers
Our healthcare system has become a religion and getting a religion to change comes with all sorts of issues. To many Canadians identify as Canadians based on our current healthcare system. Be careful what you suggest or you be burned at the stake.

I'm not thinking hospitals so much as "Civil Medical Depots" (it just made that up) stocked with a sundry of medical material that may be required by our HCS and/or population in a time of need.
As pointed out by others here, maintaining that stockpile is a big issue. The shelf life of things like masks is not terribly long. Having a good chunk of the Provincial healthcare PPE purchases come from the stockpile, with new orders at the same time, means that it would turnover fairly quickly.

As pointed out by others here, maintaining that stockpile is a big issue. The shelf life of things like masks is not terribly long. Having a good chunk of the Provincial healthcare PPE purchases come from the stockpile, with new orders at the same time, means that it would turnover fairly quickly.

Absolutely. I pointed it out as well. Being prepared costs money. A lot of money. But we have a choices to make on how we spend our tax dollars.

Much like our situation in the CFSS, which we have neglected for far too long but that's a whole other topic. If we want an available robust moments notice response it costs money. Or we continue on as per... Or perhaps we come up with some other solution. Who knows.

Some things to consider for those calling for increased police enforcement.

Also linked in the article is the current polling from Ottawa residents about the protest/occupation.

I can't see how he won't be.
If he has enough support in the back benches the "leadership" may be worried about revolt if they boot him. The opposition just removed their leader after doing better than the previous one in an election. Trudeau has done worse in each election since taking over the LPC, and is polling rather low in public opinion right now.

The Chretien, and Martin loyalists may still have their knives sharpened...

The sitting government has already said flat out no, so presumably they’re trying to do something achievable. Also presumably doesn’t know what the GG does.
Or that the NDP has taken as hard a line or harder against the convoy as the LPC

The people in power never really think about what happens when they are no longer in power.

Oh, they know. Just observe how batsh!t crazy some people go when their team loses an election.

If he has enough support in the back benches the "leadership" may be worried about revolt if they boot him. The opposition just removed their leader after doing better than the previous one in an election. Trudeau has done worse in each election since taking over the LPC, and is polling rather low in public opinion right now.

The Chretien, and Martin loyalists may still have their knives sharpened...
The LPC has chosen not to use the reform act, no revolt can happen.

The LPC has chosen not to use the reform act, no revolt can happen.
It can, just not in the same way. Paul Martin did pretty well dethroning Jean Chretien by backroom maneuvering.

If the divisions in the LPC come out, they have proven just as, if not more capable, of turfing leaders as the CPC are. When your team is on top it can be hard to remember that it wasn't that long ago the LPC was the third party in the house

Back