• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

No but you say how our system is built is the reason for overflowing hospitals during the pandemic. What I am pointing out is that pretty much every other country (and their different systems) had the exact same issues. This doesn’t support your assertion.
Ok fine so all the systems are broken ? So we shouldn't investigate different ways do this ? I'm not sure what you're on about.

No but you say how our system is built is the reason for overflowing hospitals during the pandemic. What I am pointing out is that pretty much every other country (and their different systems) had the exact same issues. This doesn’t support your assertion.
Good point. I imagine that health care systems are not built for pandemics of this magnitude.

Maybe we’ve been lucky so far but if pandemics are predicted to be a thing (a normal state of things) then maybe we should have something that can contract and expand in order to adapt. I have no idea how that would work (ie have a military that could actually augment the health care system by say 10% in those cases or have an infrastructure plan already in place for overflow or cross train health care providers and first responders or even create a funded volunteer force that could activate. Just spit balling here but fix what we have and make sure it can adapt to fluctuations caused by things like a pandemic.

Good point. I imagine that health care systems are not built for pandemics of this magnitude.

Maybe we’ve been lucky so far but if pandemics are predicted to be a thing (a normal state of things) then maybe we should have something that can contract and expand in order to adapt. I have no idea how that would work (ie have a military that could actually augment the health care system by say 10% in those cases or have an infrastructure plan already in place for overflow or cross train health care providers and first responders or even create a funded volunteer force that could activate. Just spit balling here but fix what we have and make sure it can adapt to fluctuations caused by things like a pandemic.

One point about equipment. Its much like the problems with our supply chain. We need lots of medical stores and equipment sitting around collecting dust for SHTF scenarios. And those dust collectors need to be constantly maintained and moved through life cycle and replaced as required to stay ready. The problem is this costs money.

The media spin machine is cranking it up again. The language used in this article would make you think there is an actual insurrection ongoing in Canada...

Why Canadian intelligence agencies never saw the freedom convoy coming

It's great that a Carlton U prof wants CISIS to start spying on Canadians, and compiling lists of people who support wrongthink. Makes you wonder how worried the Laurentian Elites are getting, and if they are starting to grasp the consequences of wedge politics.

One point about equipment. Its much like the problems with our supply chain. We need lots of medical stores and equipment sitting around collecting dust for SHTF scenarios. And those dust collectors need to be constantly maintained and moved through life cycle and replaced as required to stay ready. The problem is this costs money.
If we treat those things as strategic assets why not have reserve medical units manage some of it. Two birds with one stone. It keeps reserve field Ambs equipped but you would have constant life cycling if they took on a more active logistical role. It would require some partnerships and MOUs. Not THE solution to it but could be one part of something more comprehensive. You could actually make it a mission task.

If we treat those things as strategic assets why not have reserve medical units manage some of it. Two birds with one stone. It keeps reserve field Ambs equipped but you would have constant life cycling if they took on a more active logistical role. It would require some partnerships and MOUs. Not THE solution to it but could be one part of something more comprehensive. You could actually make it a mission task.
Its a good idea though.

The media spin machine is cranking it up again. The language used in this article would make you think there is an actual insurrection ongoing in Canada...

It's great that a Carlton U prof wants CISIS to start spying on Canadians, and compiling lists of people who support wrongthink. Makes you wonder how worried the Laurentian Elites are getting, and if they are starting to grasp the consequences of wedge politics.
That guy forgets that police and criminal intelligence is a thing.

To be fair, I don’t even think the convoy knew itself how big it would get or even what they would do when they reached Ottawa. Hard to predict that.

Anyone listen to Zello? Seems like a Great place to gather a variety of intelligence or trends if you can ignore the weirder stuff.

Stalinist and Chairman Mao style repression. Does this esteemed member of the intellectual community support KGB style repression? Or gulags? Re education camps?

What an ass hat 🎩

Hospitals have a high burn rate, each of the Provincial Health agencies agrees to buy X percentage from the stockpile. Stock comes in at one end and goes out the other. A buy automatically triggers a purchase.

Hospitals have a high burn rate, each of the Provincial Health agencies agrees to buy X percentage from the stockpile. Stock comes in at one end and goes out the other. A buy automatically triggers a purchase.

I'm not thinking hospitals so much as "Civil Medical Depots" (it just made that up) stocked with a sundry of medical material that may be required by our HCS and/or population in a time of need.

Not that I'm disagreeing, the treaty 'system' and Indian Act no doubt create inequity, but you would be hard pressed to find any FN willing to eliminate either, or even agree how they should be re-written. Many FNs do not accept that they are pigs in your analogy.

It is a matter of perspective on who power-grabbed who. Elected councils band councils are a child of the Indian Act (regional, provincial, etc. FN bodies are not legislatively supported). I'm all for them to sort out their internal politics and have the government deal with the winner.

There have been several commentators, Aboriginal and others, who claim that this protest sets a double standard and that if it was an Aboriginal protest the police would have quickly gone in with force. I can't think of any FN protest or blockade in recent history that hasn't been protracted, and most, if not all, ultimate police action was supported by an injunction. In some cases, FN blockades are complicated by a claim of right, not all of which have been settled by the courts.

They might not accept they are the pigs in the analogy but that doesn't mean they aren't. There is no group of people on this planet with more rights, opportunities, and freedoms than a aboriginal in Canada. There is obviously historical issues, but that doesn't mean that there isn't many benefits which come with those historical issues and treaties as well.

As to those who claim a double standard for if this was a Aboriginal protest that is simply seeing this though extremely biased eyes to attempt to push their race based agenda. We literally had the police refuse to enact a court order to evict them off the tracks and actually went and sat with them instead the last time we had major protests like this. So far if anything they have been harsher to the truckers as I don't recall seeing them preventing resources from getting into the railway blockers.

I am beginning to see the logic behind the governments intent to ban firearms though. You marginalize and discriminate against 10% of your population actively, you certainly don't want them to have the ability to resist you. It only takes 10% of the population not following a law for it to become ineffective as you no longer can enforce it.

I will be curious to read the numerous reports from the government (all levels) inquiries that will be initiated as a result of this pandemic and the City of Ottawa response to this protest.

I wonder if our Health Care System (all levels) will get the necessary attention that it deserves and hopefully a long term fix. I know that this is a complex Federal/Provincial government issue. Stable long term funding is only one of the many required solutions. My daughter works in health care and she has strong views on the issues and how to fix them.

I wonder if Canada will have a more robust Pandemic Response System and structure with stable long term funding.

I wonder how the public reaction to the political parties and involved Law Enforcement agencies will be after the inquires are published. I wonder how many "I told you so" persons / agencies will point fingers.

I wonder how the Federal, Provincial and City government will deal with protests such as the Trucker's Convoy Protest in the future? Do we equip the police to the extent like they do in the USA? Set up a joint crisis management team to deal the protest - joint statements unlike now?

I wonder how the Ontario gov't will view the City of Ottawa with respect to political support, Law Enforcement and resources. IMO, historically the City of Toronto and its surrounding metropolitan area (Golden Horseshoe) tends to the be the focus of the Premier. and the cabinet. Ottawa tends to be forgotten because of the Federal gov't and the National Capital Commission (NCC) here.

I wonder how the Ottawa City Council will view funding towards the OPS. Wi ll the OPS approach to policing change? More funding or change in the funing model?

Despite all the criticism directed towards the OPS, I still support them as well as the other involved law enforcement and supporting agencies (RCMP, OPP, Parliament Hill Protective Services). Not an easy job considering the resources they had and the political pressure that they had to deal with.

Cheers

The sitting government has already said flat out no, so presumably they’re trying to do something achievable. Also presumably doesn’t know what the GG does.
Also part of the MOU some say is not in play anymore - note who's mentioned and who isn't ...
... Canada Unity (CU) offers this “Memorandum” to the Senate of Canada and the Governor General of Canada, the highest authorities representing the Federal Government (SCGGC) as “The Government of Canada” ...

Stable long term funding

Pretty much everything needs stable long term funding (SLTF). There are more things competing for SLTF than there is SLTF to go around. So what mix of costs down, taxes up, and other program cuts will it be?

Why would he meet avowed white supremacists calling for race war (the protest organizers - who, for the record, are not truckers nor representative of truckers).

They've always been "deplorables" since the beginning. Just look at the "flags" they're flying:

And health care workers abused:

“I bet you love doing abortions, that’s why you’ve got a hyphen in your name, couldn’t even take take your f— husband’s last name. I’m sure of it. Another f—— extreme leftist, freakin’ extreme feminist c– who is just trying to destroy the world. Those people are fighting for your freedoms too, you dumb c—.”

Back