• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CadetPat field uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are really Denim?    :eek:
Those wont be to good in the winter, me thinks...
Are they like Heavy Jean Denim?

CMJ said:
First of all I've been wearing CF combats for 10 years and I know what they can be like.   The combats I've seen are when they first came out with them.   It's quite possible they were modified recently.   Second of all.   There should be no reason that anyone's feet should be wet for days after a creek crossing.   I've done a few myself and a change of socks works wonders.

Well, Mr retired C/CWO, I wore combats for almost 19yrs, and used two generations of boots in the CF, plus two types of tropical boots. However, thats not including the almost 11yrs in the Army here, in the most awful tropical conditions you have only read about. I have NO cadet experience, so I guess my nearly 30yrs TI in two armies does not count.

OK.   I'm sorry.   I'm not going to continue to argue about this.   If you're willing to share your experience from the army then I'm willing to learn. But all I was doing was sharing a story from my experience and I get my head bitten off for it and givien the atttitude that I know nothing.  I got my back up about it and again I'm sorry.   Truce?  

No need to appologise, but good on ya for setting the facts straight. It was not your knowledge and experience that was challenged, but your wording suggested a bit of an attitude, and that's what gave you some flak on here by a few pers.

You no doubt have some valued experience in your time in the cadet movement, which is notable and should be utilised effectivly, and passed on to others who it would benifit. Mate, you are 20 yrs old, and an adult. I am not passing judgement on you at all. I just responded to a post which which I (and others) got the same 'message' from.

Regards,

Wes

:cheers:

Thanks.  I'm glad we could clear the air on that.  I just have a question for you regarding the boots.  When you have holes in the bottom like that, how do you keep your feet from getting wet when dealing with stuff like dew on the grass and stuff in the morning?

Have a nice day

Mate to answer your question, in my experience with the US green canvas sided issued J-boots, situations like dew in grass etc, your feet don't really get wet, not even damp. As you walk and move around, your generating heat, and burning off the moisture all the time. Plus the canvas sides also breath and dicipate the moisture and heat.

I had used this US boot in some beach landings at Nelson Bay (a major area used by the US is practicing beach assaults for their island campaign against the Japs in WW2) to the south of here, and a few hours later my feet were entirely dry.

Of course being 32C by 0800 and sunny may have helped, but the boots worked, and they have their place today, but not in western Ontario in mid November.

Regards,

Wes

Don't know if its interesting, but just answering your question  ;D.

Regards,

Wes

2332Piper said:
Thats why they are called 'Jungle' boots, they are meant for warm and wet environments. Thats why you also have WWB's for colder, wetter weather and a general purpose boot for spring/fall/summer/garrison conditions.

But in actuality, what you wear boot wise really should be up to you (within limits). I've seen guys wear Mk 111's in winter and WWB's in the heat of summer because thats what they find most comfortable (and won't/can't go and buy non-issue boots). But for a cadet activity, Mk 111's should suffice most of the time. 

That was my point so why in the world would the League approve a boot that is designed for tropical wear if it is going to be open to buy to all Army Cadets across the country. Won't it result in wet feet for cadets and more issues if they start taking these on fall and spring exercises? There are always a few Cadets (sorry kidos) are generally stupid when it comes to their kit and won't think ahead and bring weather proper foot wear.

Does anyone have a picture of the boots?

Edit Wes ya I agree I believe I wore the same..type of boot (I was given them by my sqn my first year as a cadet for selling 25 packs of raffle tickets) Never had a problem with the dew.. however if it rained and the ground was saturated you did get enough seepage to cause issue. Which it often did.. the November Experience was about the weekend after Remembrance Day as I recall and it had rained and then snowed.. and got up to about 5 degrees that after noon... meaning everything was wet and slushy.
During May Niagara Air Group Weekends it often rained almost all weekend and the ground would just saturate with Waters almost every step was a puddle. Again wet feet.

However when we did our River walk (100m in the river) those of us with Jungle boots were dry fairly quickly. and didn't need to worry about changing our socks...

It's a good piece of kit.. but for Cadet purposes not really effective as they are more then likely pose a greater potential for causing problems in certain conditions then helping. At least as the standard boots for the Cadet Field Dress..

Though I'm very quickly learning that the choices by the leagues often seem like to be kinda random.

it just depends on where you live, if you live in an area like Vernon jungle or desert boots are fine for the summer and 'Nam boots for the winter (I dont know what they're actually called I refer to the boots you get at surplus stores and issued at CSTCs.  We called them 'Nam boots when I went to Venron)  If you live in an area like Vanouver where it rains alot 'Nam boots are good to wear all year round.  I tell my cadets that if they order Cadetpat to not order the boots because they wouldnt be effective in the areas where we have FTXs.  I have worn 'Nam boots since I joined and find them quite effective.  Sorry about the slang I just dont know the actual name of the boots  :)

I could understand 'nam boots as slang for Jungle boots (which I believe is slang anyway) as they were most famously used their by the US.

The only thing I have against Jungle boots is in soft grass and heavy rain, or exercises in wet weather under 10 C as sadly you can't trust all the cadets to use proper judgement about the boots and could get frost bitten our the chills in those conditions(not to mention blisters). Outside of that I love 'em... just not appropriate for Cadets on a national basis which is what the Field Uniform is supposed to be. Which is too bad.

Thanks for the correction.  We called them 'Nam boots because they kinda look like the ones they used in Vietnam.  I like the newer ones they're issuing with the padding around the top, the steel toe and the welts around the edges.  They look comfertable.  I beleive they're made by CAT but I could be wrong.

Actually the pioneer course's boots were not "issued" through the system, so to speak. They were bought by the camp stores specifically for the course cadets and staff.

I dont actually know what theyre called I just know they're made by CAT.  My assistant platoon commander in Vernon had a pair that was issued to her by her corps, a few of my officers have them, they probably have a hardened toe or something like that.  Sorry for any false info I was just trying to describe them.  But I have seen members of the reg/reserve/CIC force wearing them, I wasnt trying to post any incorrect information I was just saying that I liked the boots because they looked comfortable

Yea its a composite mateiral in the toe, just as strong as steel but won't draw cold to it, and its a fraction of the weight of steel toe, we sell ones very similar to the ones I saw at VACSTC at the clothing and workwear store I work at.

ryanmann356 said:
I dont actually know what theyre called I just know they're made by CAT.   My assistant platoon commander in Vernon had a pair that was issued to her by her corps, a few of my officers have them, they probably have a hardened toe or something like that.   Sorry for any false info I was just trying to describe them.   But I have seen members of the reg/reserve/CIC force wearing them, I wasnt trying to post any incorrect information I was just saying that I liked the boots because they looked comfortable

They aren't issued. The uniforms they're wearing aren't issued, they're temp loans.

I just talked with my friend who was Pioneer staff, and they got issued steel toed safety boots. This is confirmed.

yeah those are the ones, the WWB boots.  thanks for the correction.  Those cadpat boots look pretty cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back