• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CadetPat field uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand why some people are upset about the field uniform looking too "American" when the Americans wore ODs before and after Vietnam.  Cadets have always worn ODs and Canadian soldiers wore ODs until the late 90s.  We sold the cadpat technology to the Americans and they have given their military "cadpat" as well (although in a few different varieties) but their army has desert camo's that look like canadian desert camo.  If I was a soldier in Afghanistan I would rather be well camouflaged and have a better chance of living than be worried about looking American.  The fact of the matter is that cadpat works, cadetpat works, marpat works, snowpat works etc.  ODs just dont do the job as well as the disruptive patterns do but in the end its all a matter of personal choice as to whether or not you like the cadetpat.

I would assume the complaints were more in regard to the fact that since cadets DONT have to hide from anyone and DONT use combat uniforms for their intended pupose, if the cadet league was going to produce a uniform for cadet use on camping trips it should at least be something that looked 'Canadian', like making new field uniforms in OD. Still seen by many as being a 'Canadian' colour for uniforms, and does not allow cadets to be confused with the CF. Would have been perfect, IMHO.

To be honest, I'd rather have cadets in CADPAT before this stuff (if I was still a cadet) seeing as you still are Canadian cadets. But thats just me, it really doesn't matter either way. I'd just assume that if cadets were going to have any sort of new military uniform, it would at least look somewhat Canadian. Oh well, I don't see many cadets buying this stuff when OD can be gotten cheaper. 

my thoughts and position exactly.

cheers

PV

I had a cadet coming in with this new set of combats and we weren't to impressed.  It was a very thick material that doesn't breathe and the boots had air holes at the bottom.  They would be terrible in the field.

Craig Jacob said:
I had a cadet coming in with this new set of combats and we weren't to impressed.   It was a very thick material that doesn't breathe and the boots had air holes at the bottom.   They would be terrible in the field.

Firstly, there is NOTHING wrong with the MARPAT material if its the real thing (50% cotton/50% nylon twill - check out the type of material used in the OC CF combat uniform, you'll be suprised), and if new, it can seem sort of stiff, like all new clothing. As for the holes you 'mention' in the boots, these have been in a variety of military footwear for over 40 years (with the exception of the Mk II family of Cdn combat boots) including the current Australian boots, and the US black tropical boots.

Have you ever worn combat boots after a creek crossing for example? You feet and boots can be wet for days, as compaired to the vented boots, even your socks are dry in a matter of hours, along with the boots. The disadvantage is your feet get wet a little easier in shallow water (or wet folliage at times), but again dry much faster. So, there is a purpose to the vents.

As for the quality of these boots, that might be another story, as I don't know, as they might be some cheap version of the real thing.

Wes

It is different material, and it was supposed to be changed. I'm washing my set for the first time right now, I'm wondering after I've done it a few times what will happen. And like you just said, they're jungle style boots, hense the holes. They're also garbage, also why I recomended you not purchase them.

The material is like denim.

Kaziklu said:
it's not that something like flecktarn is going to cause someone to mistake a Cadet as a member of the military... it's that they might mistake them as a Representative of the Nation the Uniform is designed to emulate, or a DND endorsement of that design. Which is why the CATO is written that way.

Sorry, but I've got to butt in here for a moment...

Given that the average Joe Hoser Canadian is barely aware we have an army, and of those that are aware, not all of them are entirely aware of what our uniform looks like (Lots of people still think we're still in the old green uniform, some think we wear american cam uniforms, there's all sorts of misconceptions out there), any time anyone sees somone dressed up in combats, regardless of the origin of those combats, even if they're of a mixed nationality (say the top differs from the bottom), with a pair of black boots, that says to that person "army". Flat out.

So in an effort to understand this cadetpat better I need to ask some questions. The cadets(specifically army cadets) are looking to approve a "camouflage" type of uniform to be worn on field type exercises. But this uniform will not be provided but rather an option to buy? So unless the cadet unit is based in a rich area, they will have some cadets dressed in an approved uniform they bought themselves and some wearing the equivalent of warm civillian clothing.

IMHO there needs to be perhaps a fund raising drive to build a surplus of enough uniforms for all, so that you are not ostrasizing cadets just because they cant afford to buy "the approved" field uniform.

Kyle Burrows said:
The material is like denim.
I have a hard time believing any company would make a field uniform out of denim. I have yet to see the materials up close or see the washing tag but if they are made out of denim then I can't see why anyone would want to use them in the field.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
So in an effort to understand this cadetpat better I need to ask some questions. The cadets(specifically army cadets) are looking to approve a "camouflage" type of uniform to be worn on field type exercises. But this uniform will not be provided but rather an option to buy? So unless the cadet unit is based in a rich area, they will have some cadets dressed in an approved uniform they bought themselves and some wearing the equivalent of warm civillian clothing.

IMHO there needs to be perhaps a fund raising drive to build a surplus of enough uniforms for all, so that you are not ostrasizing cadets just because they cant afford to buy "the approved" field uniform.

Isn't this the same case with the ODs? Most corps can't afford them for the entire corps, Cadets that come from families with a low income probably can't buy the ODs right now either, but they are allowed to wear them at the discretion of the OC of the Cadet Corps.

Considering I wanted to sign up my son for cub scouts and they told me it would be 120$ for every second week, no uniform included, I think they should atleast put out a proposal.

$120 for every second week? I've been out of scouts for quite a while, but I can't see it going up from a dollar for "dues" every week to $120 every two weeks... somone gave you the wrong numbers...

p_imbeault said:
I have a hard time believing any company would make a field uniform out of denim. I have yet to see the materials up close or see the washing tag but if they are made out of denim then I can't see why anyone would want to use them in the field.
One of my cadets wore the stuff.

Well if the cadets,are going to charge $50 so that Cadets can get the field uniform.. why not just make the field uniform mandatory for purchase instead? (for Army Cadets of Course)

The yearly fee was 120$, plus additional costs for weekend outings etc. This particular scout unit only had one "qualified" adult leader who is a shiftworker and could only hold meetings every second week.

Of course the yearly fees couldnt be reduced but to look at an organization such as this that really doesnt have alot of overhead cost and then to look at a more formal organization as the cadets, it makes you wonder.

I dont really think that charging fees for cadets is the answer, but cadets have more resources available to them, things like fundraising, in order to equip their unit with niceties such as a "field" uniform for all their members. After all, what would the CF look like if we had the option of wearing what we wanted based on our personnal purchases?

Wesley H. Allen said:
Firstly, there is NOTHING wrong with the MARPAT material if its the real thing (50% cotton/50% nylon twill - check out the type of material used in the OC CF combat uniform, you'll be suprised), and if new, it can seem sort of stiff, like all new clothing. As for the holes you 'mention' in the boots, these have been in a variety of military footwear for over 40 years (with the exception of the Mk II family of Cdn combat boots) including the current Australian boots, and the US black tropical boots.

Have you ever worn combat boots after a creek crossing for example? You feet and boots can be wet for days, as compaired to the vented boots, even your socks are dry in a matter of hours, along with the boots. The disadvantage is your feet get wet a little easier in shallow water (or wet folliage at times), but again dry much faster. So, there is a purpose to the vents.

As for the quality of these boots, that might be another story, as I don't know, as they might be some cheap version of the real thing.

Wes

First of all I've been wearing CF combats for 10 years and I know what they can be like.  The combats I've seen are when they first came out with them.  It's quite possible they were modified recently.  Second of all.  There should be no reason that anyone's feet should be wet for days after a creek crossing.  I've done a few myself and a change of socks works wonders.

I'm not questioning his experience. In fact I welcome him or anyone else to challenge anything I say with personal experiences.   You are right that a person isn't alwys able to change socks everytime his feet gets sweaty or wet but being wet for days.   Think about how your feet would end up wearing the same socks for more than a day without getting wet.   You could barely walk.  

I'm fairly sure no one will argue with this but I'll say it anyway.

Jungle style boots are most effective in a warm wet environment. If there is little to now chance of you going through water high enough to get into your boots but you might be going through puddles on a rainy early November day.. Jungle boots are going to leave you feet very cold and wet.

However in late spring, summer or early falls you're feet with air out a bit better, and will dry fast if you are going in shin high water. But again if it's raining and the ground is saturated you are going to have wet miserable feet.

So the type of boot that is useful is really dependent on what it is you are going to be doing.

I wore Jungle Boots through about 3/4 of my Cadet life. after my first NAG weekend with pouring rain and two river crossings I realized why they are helpful. However I also learned very fast that if a weekend exercise was coming up and it was going to rain.. and there was little chance of a water crossing.. I filled the holes with a Silicon glue/epoxy that my father had which solved the ground water problem.

Generally speaking in the four years or so of air cadets and year and a half of army I did my Jungle boots were a hindrance three times and a help twice.. however when they were a hindrance it was Early November and my feet ended up extremely cold and wet in Mid Western Ontario. If I hadn't brought the epoxy with me I might have had to go home as every step I took brought freezing cold water into my feet for the first night. I was the only one with Jungle boots and I was the only one with the problem. Though I was also the only one that could their boots on the next morning without 15 minutes in front of the fire pit to thaw them out.
Just my two cents...

2332Piper said:
...Back on topic, what has been the approved 'designator' for cadets wearing these new combats? Will one of the gold and black slip ons be appropriate or are they still asking for ya'll to wear the brassards?
Yes.

The issued rank slip ons are just about the only thing that is approved by all regions, camps, and units for a cadet to wear to identify themself. Pac Reg has allowed for brassards to be worn as long as it is clearly obvious that the person wearing it is a cadet.

And the rank slip ons are darn green and gold, not black. It is just about the same colour as the dress uniform tunic.

They are denim. It's not a point for debate, because they are :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back