• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Youth violence, and solving the problem

Hatchet Man said:
If you blame only the music than yes it is a copout.   But the kind of influence that particular brand of "music" or "lifestyle" has on kids is based on how involved the parents are in thier kids lives. The more involved the parent (I don't mean the kind of involvement were the parents want to be friends, but actually set limits/discipline etc.) the less likely this garbage will infect young minds.   And it doesn't particularly matter were in society you fit in, absentee parents are at all levels, from the dirt poor to the super rich.  

I know there are no hard and fast numbers but people in involved in law enforcement will tell you (and are saying so here) that you can not discount the effect this stuff is having on kids.

Well, perhaps the music is merely a symptom of deeper, underlying problems such as lack of respect for authority ... ?

bossi said:
Well, perhaps the music is merely a symptom of deeper, underlying problems such as lack of respect for authority ... ?
I feel it is much more sinister- Indicative of bad taste.

Where are my Stan Rogers's cds?

Back on topic, the whole justice system, IMHO is in the toilet. From YO, to Aboriginal Sentencing Circles, to plea bargaining, and now Shari (sp??) Law recommended in Ontario.

If in Newfoundland you are caught poaching a moose, you loose everything involved in the crime (ie gun, truck, helicopter) plus a fine. If you kill your husband you can keep custody of your child while you're on bail awaiting trail. Unfortunately in the circumstance I am alluding to she killed her child then herself as the trail date approached.

Bograt said:
I feel it is much more sinister- Indicative of bad taste.

Where are my Stan Rogers's cds?

Back on topic, the whole justice system, IMHO is in the toilet. From YO, to Aboriginal Sentencing Circles, to plea bargaining, and now Shari (sp??) Law recommended in Ontario.

If in Newfoundland you are caught poaching a moose, you loose everything involved in the crime (ie gun, truck, helicopter) plus a fine. If you kill your husband you can keep custody of your child while you're on bail awaiting trail. Unfortunately in the circumstance I am alluding to she killed her child then herself as the trail date approached.

As has been pointed out, the Sharia law proposal would deal with civil cases only.  In other words, two parties could agree to settle a lawsuit in a Sharia court, but criminal cases would still be handled by the regular judicial system.  It's an alternate form of conflict resolution, the same as if me and you decided to settle any differences we may have, and asked an NCO to serve as the arbitrator.  As long as the Sharia courts weren't funded by the public, this could actually end up saving taxpayers a good chunk of money.  The ONLY negative aspect of it is that Sharia law tends to be discriminatory towards women, and although both parties in a lawsuit would have to agree to handle it in a Sharia court instead or a public civil court, women could concievably be pressured by their community into going to the Sharia court.  However, I think they're more likely to be pressured not to go to court in the first place, so it's not much of a negative point.

As to your example of moose hunting and murder, I can't think of a much better illustration of just how much is wrong with our criminal judicial system.

Ok interestingly enough we discussed this exact topic in one of the Criminology classes for my major. Youth violence is actually rather sensationalized, and often the government's response to youth violence is understated. Here's the actual facts:

-Youth violence is grossly over-reported, 94% of cases displayed by the media are of violence, when in fact youth crime as a whole is 12% of total crime in Canada. Only 20% of that 12% is actually violent. 80% of youth crime is non-violent (50% is property crime, 30% is drug-related/fraud/etc)

-Of all youth violent crime 71% of it is Simple Assault, which would be pushing, punching, etc. Essentially anything without a weapon and that doesn't cause bodily harm

-The *vast* majority of the victims of youth violence are other youths

-Canada actually has one of the most punitive youth justice systems. 25% of sentences given to youths are non-custodial (i.e. no confinement), as opposed to 53% in the US, 57% in the UK and 61% in New Zealand

-In Canada, a youth is 4 times more likely to receive a custodial sentence as an adult committing the same offence

-In Canada, youths are more likely to be sentenced to a longer sentence than an adult committing the same offence

-Boot camps haven't actually been proven to work, as they lack counseling programs. Military discipline is good, but with youth crime, the roots of the crime itself need to be tackled.

-Youth crime has a few sources per. some criminological theories. The Labelling theory basically states that once a youth is given the label of a criminal (i.e. by the courts or police) he/she will be given the master status of a criminal, and therefore follow that label.

-Another major source is due to Illegitimate Opportunity and the Middle Class Measuring rod as well as Strain Theories. These essentially state that underpriveledges youths are under social strain to complete legitimate goals, but do not have the means to do so, hence resorting to crime. They are also constantly compared to the 'Measuring Rod' of middle class values which they can not also legitimately achieve.

-Differential Association basically states that criminal behaviour is learned through our social associations with others (i.e. peer groups).
Drift and Neutralization states that criminal behaviour is learned through associations, but also through these associations we learn means to neutralize the wrong aspect of the crime (i.e. 'It's not wrong, my buddies were doing it')

-Social Bond is an excellent way of explaining youth crime. It essentially states that everyone has a differing strength of bond to society. Family, peer groups, jobs, and a respect for the legitimacy of the law all constitute aspects of the bond. Someone with a stronger bond is less likely to commit a crime, while someone with a weaker bond is more likely to commit a crime. This can explain some youth crime especially in the sense of youths with poor community or family attachments.

-Off of the theoretical stuff, Young Offenders doesn't exist anymore, we now use the Youth Criminal Justice Act, which mends some of YO's holes. Basically is aims more at correcting those that can be corrected and punishing those that show no respect for society. Violent and repeat offenders are subjected to mandatory custodial sentences as well as their names being released to the public, amongst other things. I'd go into depth, but I think I've rambled on for long enough.

You know...you can list all the statistics you want, and give all the rationalizations and explanations you can come up with.  I'm still more likely to listen to the police officers, line officers, and councilors who have to deal with "youth crime" on a daily basis.  If they say that there's a problem and that the system isn't working, what possible reason would I have to beleive a university course over them?

No need to get hostile now, I was just stating these as another perspective. Getting overly tough on crime with extremely punitive measures actually doesn't stop crime and may actually increase it. Look at the literature on 'Three Strikes and You're Out' laws for proof. And yes the justice system is getting better, personally I take the word of the various judges and parole officers I've met over the years (friends of the family). On top of that, I have a relative who's the director of a youth correctional facility near Welland, and he deals with the products of youth crime daily. It's also in his opinion that the new legislation is improving, and that in all but the most extreme cases, locking youths up won't solve anything, that in most cases counseling and parole will do more merit. If anyone knows the current situation on youth crime it's those who hear the cases, sentence and deal with the sentences and the offenders.

I'm biting my tongue because you are new, and I do not want to discourage you from future posts.

With that preface,  ::)

I do not prescribe to the "not my problem, its society's fault" BS. Everyone is a victim, including the criminal bastards? Could you provide me with the youth stats in Singapore, where I believe they do public caning urr i mean caining?

Counceling is all well and good.  It's an important part of the rehabilitation proccess.  However, the reliance of counceling alone within the Canadian "corrections" system pretty much mirrors the UN's reliance on diplomacy and negotitation.  Both organizations fail to reckognize that talking and negotiation are useless without the force to make people listen.  The very language used to describe the goals of each organizations is a perfect example of what's wrong with them.  We don't have a penal system any more, we have a "corrections" system.  We don't punish people, we show them the error of their ways.  The UN doesn't engage in warfare, they engage in "peacemaking" or "peacekeeping".  Soldiers sent on these missions aren't sent to do what's right, they're just there to encourage the locals to be peacefull.  This sort of thinking is all fine and well when dealing with rational civilized individuals, but it fails miserably the moment you have to deal with someone who doesn't give a shit about your beleifs or values.

I blame the Liberals for watering down any semblance of punishment in the justice system. Any justice system that lets a monster like Homolka pursue a degree needs a serious change in priorities. As a sidenote, for most offenders I promote the idea of an entirely penal reaction to their crimes, but within plausible limits. Youth crime is an entirely different beast where no right or wrong answer (aside from the idea that crime is OK) is present. On youth crime, we're entitled to our own perspectives and impressions, and what those in the legislation fail to realize is that it'll be a balance of all of our perspectives that will bring about an effective youth justice system (which is somewhat of an oxymoron).

48th

With all respect due to your good self:

Hogwash.....Corrections does NOT correct....

It simply warhouses.........We have NO tools to correct, Hell, we have few enough tools to maintian order,,,

Mr dear Herr Qualude:

You say that the YO system is improving? Maybee from the dizzying heights ascended to by your good relative...

but from a line officers (polizei or corrections) perspective. that is crap,...

I would humbly suggest you come visit an Youth Facility and see what they are like,,,,

In my facility alone, violent assault with weapons is up over 200% in the youth areas....

they KNOW nothing can happen to em iside or outside the joint.....

Ivory Tower legislation DOES NOT translate into effectiveness on the line.

You misunderstood what I was saying.  I never said that "corrections" corrects anything.  If anything, I was arguing the opposite.  What I DID say is that the mindset of those responsible for that terminology and for the resulting system is that we should be "correcting" instead of "punishing".  I never claimed that they achieved either of those goals.  In fact I was pointing out that attempting to correct someones behaviour is useless unless you have the force (punishment) to back it up.

To echo what's been stated above: responsibility, consequences, loss of privileges.

Consequences should be inconvenient and/or require effort to resolve.  Detention is not necessarily the answer.

"Never pass a fault" is also a good rule of thumb.

To an extent, one problem is the insistence of some Canadians that all the bumps be smoothed out of life.  Another problem is the belief held by some parents that their children should not be disciplined by others (and for a select few, not even by themselves).  There is too much emphasis on self-esteem as something that is to be granted rather than earned.

I know there is a youth project close to where I live.  It's called "Project Turnaround".  I got to see a bit of what they do because I worked for a dairy distribution centre before I joined the CF.  It is treated like a prison, as in barred gates and guards.  However these guys are not given privileges as we know them.  They are made to work in the kitchen, have inspections, and have other daily chores and duties that they must follow or even what meagre privileges they have are taken away.  I believe most if not all "guests" are male from the ages of roughly 14-19.

I am not sure of how successful this place is, but I am curious to find out now and may do some more digging.  I would guess though that it would be more of a success than just institutionalizing these guys and not having them learn some work ethic.  Could be wrong...?

I was trying not to get too involved here but I can't let this go by without commenting on RorerQuaaludes " facts".
This is not a slam on you but only on the pathetically out of touch courses that get run at our "schools of knowledge" on the justice problems.

Quote,
Ok interestingly enough we discussed this exact topic in one of the Criminology classes for my major. Youth violence is actually rather sensationalized, and often the government's response to youth violence is understated. Here's the actual facts:

From who and what?

-Youth violence is grossly over-reported, 94% of cases displayed by the media are of violence, when in fact youth crime as a whole is 12% of total crime in Canada. Only 20% of that 12% is actually violent. 80% of youth crime is non-violent (50% is property crime, 30% is drug-related/fraud/etc)

The media "over-reports" anything that will sensenationalize the issue, thats not news, but anyway all those facts mean poop-all when the "property crime" is your dwelling and the "drug-related" are trying[ and are] selling to your kids. Quoting something like this leads to that stupid notion that "oh well, Johnny's just doing B&E's. ::)

Of all youth violent crime 71% of it is Simple Assault, which would be pushing, punching, etc. Essentially anything without a weapon and that doesn't cause bodily harm

Well isn't that thoughtful of me that of the 10 people I assaulted last week, that I only used weapons on three of them.

-The *vast* majority of the victims of youth violence are other youths

So what, the *vast* majority of white-collar crimes are other white-collars, the vast majority of adult crimes are other adults...etc
How does this statement justify anything but wasting paper?

Canada actually has one of the most punitive youth justice systems. 25% of sentences given to youths are non-custodial (i.e. no confinement), as opposed to 53% in the US, 57% in the UK and 61% in New Zealand

Now this is just too simple....because most of our cases never make it that far as the police/crown have more important things they must do with their resources that hold hands with the defendant. [ persue the most serious]

-In Canada, a youth is 4 times more likely to receive a custodial sentence as an adult committing the same offence
In Canada, youths are more likely to be sentenced to a longer sentence than an adult committing the same offence

To quote Sherman T. Potter..."horse hockey"

Boot camps haven't actually been proven to work, as they lack counseling programs. Military discipline is good, but with youth crime, the roots of the crime itself need to be tackled.

Again more BS, "haven't actually been proven to work"....by what standards? 100%-90%.. and has your "professor actually been to camp turnaround to see if there is councilling?... I'll venture not.

Youth crime has a few sources per. some criminological theories. The Labelling theory basically states that once a youth is given the label of a criminal (i.e. by the courts or police) he/she will be given the master status of a criminal, and therefore follow that label.

So of course this means when he/she wears their pants too big and other assorted "gansta" stuff [music, for example]they somehow automatically become cold-blooded "gansta's".  Please...
Now I'm talking out of PERSONAL experience.. I got the label of "criminal" when I was 16 [no young offenders then, thank God] and I spent 21 wonderful days in the old Guelph bucket.....now according to that "egg-head" theory I should anyday now revert to my pre-ordained "status' ....more kife on a stick!

-Another major source is due to Illegitimate Opportunity and the Middle Class Measuring rod as well as Strain Theories. These essentially state that underprivileged youths are under social strain to complete legitimate goals, but do not have the means to do so, hence resorting to crime. They are also constantly compared to the 'Measuring Rod' of middle class values which they can not also legitimately achieve.

Again...WHAT?....is there a special school somewhere that people just study making excuses for everything?  Well at least we now know that well-off kids never commit crimes. ::)

Quickly now, if you really wish to get something out of that course thats usefull, take a part-time job at a young offender house and then go back and show your "professor" a real world instruction.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Again...WHAT?....is there a special school somewhere that people just study making excuses for everything?  Well at least we now know that well-off kids never commit crimes. ::)

Just to add to that...I did a hell of a lot of stupid things growing up, many of which would have landed me in jail if I'd been caught.  I knew several drug dealers/gangster wannabes who would have fallen under young offender legislation.  The "impoverished" ones were selling small amounts on the street and in their housing developments.  The ones selling larger ammounts were either middle-class kids, or ones who were much better off.  I remember one individual in particular who had a tendancy to start gang-fights, steal cars, and move a lot of drugs.  He lived with his parents in a $2 million house.  Ironicaly enough he was just a few doors down from the (at the time) chief of police.

I didn't grow up in the ghetto so I don't know exactly how poverty effects crime, but I CAN tell you that it's deffinitely not limited to families with a "low income".

48th....

I can back you up as well; ...

Alot of our clientele are not suffereing from "middle class values" that they cannot achieve. They ARE middle class, and upper class.
Criminal proclivity it seems, knows no bounds, and by limiting their viewpoint to "poverty makes criminals" the sociologists ignore the fact that wee rich kids can be nasty SOB's as well......

Cheers and Froelichte Weinachten!

SB

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that." --Homer Simpson
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" Disraeli

RorerQuaalude said:

I'd like to read some more on this, please - could you please post a bibliography (so we can determine how up-to-date these stats are), plus I'd be interested in knowing which course this was (and where and who taught it).  Also, these stats are a snapshot - I'd be interesting to see some analysis of trends (i.e. as compared to the previous ten years).
Thanks.

Hey bossi,

Was the rash of youth violence in Toronto what motivated you to respond to the Toronto Sun?

Sit Rep's, first two weeks of December in Toronto:

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20041216-015/page.asp

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20041220-017/page.asp

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20041221-011/page.asp

Viewer Feedback:

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20041222-011/page.asp

Yes, there seems to be a difference in values between violent, criminal youth and anyone who has served in the CF. From the members on this message board, it isn't just isolated to Toronto, it's nation wide. Not to leave civilians out, any civilian that has never served in the CF, that is a decent Canadian citizen, would also see a horrible lack of values in violent, criminal youth.

Solutions?

1) Prevention. More education for parents; your kids are your responsibility. More education for kids/strict media restrictions for kids. [Yes, censorship] Moreover, society's attitude towards violence [the gangsta lifestyle] has to change. Tough to do when someone is making millions from the record album sales. 

2) Enforcement. The Criminal Code of Canada to replace The Youth Criminal Justice Act. Critics would argue, you can't lock up kids with adults. I'm not saying that at all. We already have youth correctional facilities in place. What I am saying is, if an adult is convicted of aggravated assault and has to serve 7 years, a kid has to serve 7 years if convicted of aggravated assault. [aggravated assault = an attack that leads to severe injury or maiming] The only difference being the location of the sentence; youth correctional facilities. Any New Youth Criminal Justice Act should only pertain to method of corrections.

3) Correction. Media bombardment to be incorporated into the correctional process, the counseling phase. If repeated exposure to music and videos of the gangsta lifestyle can twist a kid's sense of morals and values, why can't repeated exposure to music, videos, and other media instilling decent morals and values? I'm not saying only play gospel music, and episodes of â Å“Leave it to Beaverâ ? in a youth correctional facility. Background music with subliminal messages that crime is wrong, and self-esteem is earned.

â Å“Subliminal programmingâ ?? â Å“Orwellian-Big-Brother-Brainwashingâ ?? â Å“Cruel and unusual punishmentâ ?? The correctional officers on this message board, and the public seem to be at wits end with violent youth crime. What else is there?

As one of the correctional officers suggested, spend a day in a youth correctional facility before you consider an inmate's rights, and the means of correction.

Back