• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

would this make the milcot more viable?

sorry, that should have read

the $20 000 base model comes with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty as well as 20% off gas

better?

I personally think there is a big difference in giving a warranty to a civilian though and giving a warranty to a user they know is going to put the vehicles through a hard life. One of the milcots over here at my unit is now returning to GM for it's 10th maintenence problem I do believe, if you take into account the average cost of a mechanic working on a vehicle is around $65/hour and we assume average maintence job takes 2 hours then  this this milcot alone has racked up $1300 in mechanic fees alone, and that's not including parts.

Where are you getting a 4x4 Silverado Crew cab for $20 000?  I just went to the GM Canada website and one costs $38 000+ w/o any options.

the stickerprice for one of those it about $68 000 plus all the upgrades.

As for the civy version having a 5 year bumper to bumper waranty...........yes it does..............dig a little deeper, GM commercial sales division.................6 month warranty.  On the exposed brake lines................should we but them on the inside of the frame, so you can see them (it is a boxed frame they can only go on one side or the other) easy fix a piece of 1/4 angle iron, still waiting for someone to post the tragic story of how they ripped off brake lines off of a Milcot (much easier to tear a rear main line on the diff).  As to where the secondary battery is??  learn to drive, look on the other side of the battery tray, you will see the frame, if you manage somehow to tear the secondary battery off...........you already have alot more problems going on, aka you have lost all mobility.  The EMP option has always been available from GM Defence on the CUCV II and III platforms, I fail to see why the extra expense for this option should be warranted, as most operators/drivers will still operate the platform as if they had stolen it.  The key to mobility is maintaing it...............once you break it by means of incompetance, you lose it.  But I guess the bigger tires et al just make it so much more viable for all the cowboys, and wil help to keep all of our local GM dealerships very busy with all the repair work and waiting on non stocked parts at most dealerships, well yet another way to support the Canadain Economy.  The CF has a systematic problem, that solely equates to a severe lack of driver training.

Our present 'fleet-mentallty' driver training is 'breaker-breaker/CB/rig driver wannabee'.  It has nothing to do with the cross country and tactical use of an AFV or B vehicle.  The demise of the 'Combat Arms Advanced Driving and MAINTENANCE Course' for Cbt A at the RCAC School is part of the cause.  This was cut because the adults said "We all drive cars, so whats the big deal?"

And now we watch the wrecks and body bags pile up.

Tom

TCBF I concur.  Ref my earlier post on this thread.  Now for some on topic gossip.  I just heard from a guy that knows a guy.....  The powers that be have decided to replace all the BV206s in Alert with Mat-track trucks.  I shudder at the thought.  Any one else hear about this?

The logging companies that use pickup trucks in similar situation to the military use, generally expect to replace their fleet every 5 years, I somehow don’t see us doing that. Civilian pattern vehicles are great for reducing wear and tear on tactical vehicles and a cheaper way to equip reserve units with enough wheels. But they should never have been considered a replacement for tactical vehicles which is what it appears to be the direction we are going in.

Of course if the army hires some Liberian military advisors, you be welding on 106RR’s and 14.5 MGs and painting them in snappy camo schemes. The down side would be that the infantry would have wear oddball clothing and lifejackets and practice their combat dance routines.

As using them to replace the BV206, bad idea......

Back