• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce Monkhouse said:
Anyone who wishes death/sickness on someone, due to simple political differences, is neither Democrat, Liberal, Conservative, Republican, and/or NDP...….they are simply arseholes.  Arseholes who seem to be the voice our 'new media' only wants to hear,
:nod:  :'(

Remius said:
So, it seems with the senators that contracted COVID at the SCOTUS garden party, the Republicans May have an issue getting the confirmation process started if they are not back in time  So far 2 have it.

Now, by my math the both should be back.  But, if any other senator gets it it could be problematic for the GOP in the senate. 

I predict a lot more mask wearing in the next little while...

You can add a third. Republican Senator Ron Johnson.

Also, Trump's new campaign manager, who replaced Brad Parscale ( now out of action ).

And his advisor, Chris Christie +.

In non-Covid news,

Nearly 2,000 DOJ Alumni Sign Letter with Dire Warning: Bill Barr Is Working to Rig 2020 Election for Trump
https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/nearly-2000-doj-alumni-sign-letter-with-dire-warning-bill-barr-is-working-to-rig-2020-election-for-trump/

Remius said:
So, it seems with the senators that contracted COVID at the SCOTUS garden party, the Republicans May have an issue getting the confirmation process started if they are not back in time  So far 2 have it.

Now, by my math the both should be back.  But, if any other senator gets it it could be problematic for the GOP in the senate. 

I predict a lot more mask wearing in the next little while...

More COVID related, but recently read this article about how COVID spreads differently then the flu, and why R may not be the best way to track it; basically they are suggesting backtracing to when they contacted it may be more effective to locate the 'superspreader' events rather then 1 to 1 transmission. But seeing this many folks not wearing masks at a major event, only takes one infected superspreader to cause a major spike.  Hope everyone comes out okay the other side, but still seems like karma when a lot of them are actively undermining the public health stance on masks and separation.

This Overlooked Variable Is the Key to the Pandemic

It’s not R.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/k-overlooked-variable-driving-pandemic/616548/

Navy_Pete said:
. . .  to locate the 'superspreader'  . . . only takes one infected superspreader to cause a major spike.  . . .

So, they need to identify a "Superspreader in Chief".

Timelines are getting confusing - it now appears POTUS had a positive diagnosis, then went to fundraising events regardless.

This is what the crowd looked like at the Rose Garden. Bear in mind that time elapsed since this event (last Saturday) has only just passed the statistical mean incubation period, so there are still plenty of potential infections not yet symptomatic / detected.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but this is just sheer incompetence with an ongoing pandemic. Necessary mechanisms of government are threatened if too many key players have to isolate themselves. Holding an event like this was reckless. Pomp and circumstance do not trump public health measures... but it appears they may Trump them.

I wish nobody ill or harm, but I’m not going to be clutching my pearls in shock and sympathy either. This was a predictable consequence of chosen behaviours. America has the finest scientific minds and public health experts in the world. The best possible advice and counsel is immediately at hand. There’s no excuse for the very center of your government to create a superspreader event. The poor judgment evidenced in this is astounding

Attachments

• 1F0AC939-4021-4E9C-B520-5C0B04AC4C59.jpeg
    1F0AC939-4021-4E9C-B520-5C0B04AC4C59.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 43
>Like this?

Not that either.  I don't mean the extremist wing-nuttery.  I mean the mainstream entertainment and media industries.  "Death of a President"; Kathy Griffin posing with a fake Trump head.

dapaterson said:
Timelines are getting confusing - it now appears POTUS had a positive diagnosis, then went to fundraising events regardless.

Could he have infected anyone at the "debate"?

Biden has tested negative. That doesn’t mean he’s in the clear.

Trump Reportedly Arrived to the Debate Too Late to Be Tested by Organizers
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/trump-no-coronavirus-test-debate-wallace.html

President Donald Trump was not tested for the coronavirus by the Cleveland Clinic prior to the first presidential debate on Tuesday night, according to moderator and Fox News anchor Chris Wallace.

The president and first lady’s positive coronavirus tests, announced early Friday, shocked the country and have prompted speculation as to whether Joe Biden may have contracted the virus from Trump at the debate.
https://slate.com/technology/2020/10/biden-trump-debate-transmission.html

More than half of the guests on Trump’s side at the debate reportedly declined to wear masks, while everyone on Biden’s side was wearing masks. A doctor with the clinic even approached some of Trump’s guest and offered them masks, but they refused.

mariomike said:

Looks like they forgot to bring the duty Auriga https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auriga_(slave)

mariomike said:

Trump could be faced with needing to do an about turn on masks and all precautions in general. Can his supporters swing 180 in the wind with him if he does because of the need.

Trump's positioning can't stand if a spike in the virus is experienced in America as predicted for the fall. But on the other hand, his positioning will flourish if it's actually beginning to die out.

:cheers:

Brihard said:
This is what the crowd looked like at the Rose Garden. Bear in mind that time elapsed since this event (last Saturday) has only just passed the statistical mean incubation period, so there are still plenty of potential infections not yet symptomatic / detected.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but this is just sheer incompetence with an ongoing pandemic. Necessary mechanisms of government are threatened if too many key players have to isolate themselves. Holding an event like this was reckless. Pomp and circumstance do not trump public health measures... but it appears they may Trump them.

I wish nobody ill or harm, but I’m not going to be clutching my pearls in shock and sympathy either. This was a predictable consequence of chosen behaviours. America has the finest scientific minds and public health experts in the world. The best possible advice and counsel is immediately at hand. There’s no excuse for the very center of your government to create a superspreader event. The poor judgment evidenced in this is astounding

Well said, Brihard.

Condolences to the families of the 209K Americans killed by Covid-19. Best wishes for recovery to all those affected by it. Gratitude to the front line heroes risking their own health to help them.  :salute:

I find myself agreeing very much with Brihard.

I don’t want anyone to die.  I’ve lost a family member to this.

But I find it very hard not to point out the karma behind this and feeling any sympathy for the situation the Trump administration is going through.

I wish them well.  But I don’t feel sorry for them.

Remius said:
I find myself agreeing very much with Brihard.

I don’t want anyone to die.  I’ve lost a family member to this.

But I find it very hard not to point out the karma behind this and feeling any sympathy for the situation the Trump administration is going through.

Remius,

My condolences on the loss of your family member.

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the economic impact of this. Ascribing some sort of cosmic repercussions and feeling schadenfreude is inane. Whether the folks who attended the event were irresponsible or not is not your call. If that is your mantra, insert societal ill.........

I was an early proponent of distancing, based on advice from the medical experts, and complied with all restrictions. Looking at the mortality rates, I have come to the conclusion that the cure may well be worse than the disease.

Remius said:

Nice tweet sent from his account,

Doctors, Nurses and ALL at the GREAT Walter Reed Medical Center, and others from likewise incredible institutions who have joined them, are AMAZING!!!Tremendous progress has been made over the last 6 months in fighting this PLAGUE. With their help, I am feeling well!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1312442195509563392

Nice to read he seems to be in good spirits. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Has he described Covid 19 with the HIGHLIGHTED word before?

[quote author=Remius]

But I find it very hard not to point out the karma
[/quote]

Kind of like pointing out puns  ;D

Jarnhamar said:
Kind of like pointing out puns  ;D

A pun is the lowest form of humour - when you don't think of it first.  :)

Weinie said:
Remius,

My condolences on the loss of your family member.

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the economic impact of this. Ascribing some sort of cosmic repercussions and feeling schadenfreude is inane. Whether the folks who attended the event were irresponsible or not is not your call. If that is your mantra, insert societal ill.........

I was an early proponent of distancing, based on advice from the medical experts, and complied with all restrictions. Looking at the mortality rates, I have come to the conclusion that the cure may well be worse than the disease.

The issue isn’t even about shutting the economy down.  Early on we didn’t know enough about this thing.  We know enough now that masks actually work to keep this thing contained. 

Wear a mask, keep the economy going.  Keep your distance, keep the economy going.

Two very simple things.  Even if you don’t believe in it.  It is so simple. 

But some people choose to ignore it and THEY are the ones ruining it all for everyone else.

Now the administration is paying the price for playing politics with two very simple things that could have prevented all of this. 

Vanity Fair has alleged details of what went on inside the White House before POTUS went to Walter Reed.

Two sources said doctors gave Trump an ultimatum: he could go to the hospital while he could still walk, or doctors would be forced to take him in a wheelchair or on a stretcher at a later point if his health deteriorated. “They told him, ‘You can go now or we’re taking you later and it’s non negotiable,’” a second source close to the White House said. Trump waited to leave for the hospital until the stock market closed on Friday, a source said.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/this-is-spiraling-out-of-control-allies-panic-about-trumps-hospital-stay-as-white-house-deflects

dapaterson said:
Vanity Fair has alleged details of what went on inside the White House before POTUS went to Walter Reed.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/this-is-spiraling-out-of-control-allies-panic-about-trumps-hospital-stay-as-white-house-deflects

An outside White House adviser told me that a high-level government official from a G-7 country asked him if Trump would try to appoint Ivanka president instead of Mike Pence.

That's interesting.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back