• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
With regards to the comment about not do dismounted patrols.  On mine that was the case for the vast majority of the tour (and by that I mean 99% of dismounted patrols where less then 24 hours, not that dismounted patrols didn't occur).  Apparently the guys over there are doing quite a bit and as a result our guys are possibly going to do 3 weeks of dismounted ops prior to going over.  So in closing every tour is different.  For me we lived out of our day packs and valise.
Yes, I was just relaying their experience on 3-06 as it was explained to me.

Nfld Sapper said:
BTW wasn't talking about courses but rather taskings. My "Cadre" Officer was bitching that we had the Gortex while a 3rd year RMC guy had the Jean Jacket. I told him to suck it up  lol  >:D

Absolutely -- you come here on a tasking and you're only entitled to the old jean jacket, guess what you get?? IECS gortex because that's what we stock along with ICE.

Or, this one's good -- actually had an RSM of a ResF Unit call me and order me to take away the ICE from one of his Corporals as their Unit was not yet converted to ICE.

"No says I. Read the CTS implemetation PIP. Your corporal was on a Class B contract with an entitled Unit when they were converted, that made him entitled to it. He belonged to THAT Unit at the right time."

But, I don't want him having it when the rest of us in the Unit don't.

"Good" says I, "get yourself and all of your staff onto a B Class contract with an entitled Unit. Do you really want your corporal to be dressed in IECS when the rest of the RegF Unit he is now on contract with are in ICE?? That, Sir -- is the Total Force concept in action."

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
With regards to the comment about not do dismounted patrols.  On mine that was the case for the vast majority of the tour (and by that I mean 99% of dismounted patrols where less then 24 hours, not that dismounted patrols didn't occur).  Apparently the guys over there are doing quite a bit and as a result our guys are possibly going to do 3 weeks of dismounted ops prior to going over.  So in closing every tour is different.  For me we lived out of our day packs and valise.

Bite your freaking tongue!, it's not like we have 30 other things on our plate..... :rage:
Honestly though, I'm hearing seven day dismounted Ex in Jan '08, seriously, it's like craming 10 pounds of shit into a five pound bag... ::)

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
.....Our rucks stayed in KAF along with our gas masks.

Say it ain't so!!!  :o

Isn't obtaining desert NBC gear one of the TOP priorities for CTS action on that CTS update powerpoint?? How can you be without your gas mask??!!  :-\

[/sarcasm]

(I know I'm not the only one who picked that out of the powerpoint -- I can certainly think of things I'd be placing a higher priority on -- like chest rigs --- TVs that work --- footwear, raingear etc etc).

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Yes I laughed when I read they are pumping out gas mask carriers.  Come on now honestly.

We got ours yesterday...and what a fine piece of kit it is, too.

ParaMedTech said:
We got ours yesterday...and what a fine piece of kit it is, too.
I'd be interested in seeing this.  How is it worn?  Is it the standard carrier in CADPAT?

Cataract Kid said:
Bite your freaking tongue!, it's not like we have 30 other things on our plate..... :rage:
Honestly though, I'm hearing seven day dismounted Ex in Jan '08, seriously, it's like craming 10 pounds of shit into a five pound bag... ::)

Rumor mill has it that the CO wants to do another BFT in Jan as well.

I think it's a slightly lighter material then that one   >:D

It's a slightly lighter material, some of the internal layout of the pockets is different, and the spare canister is held internally (with no little external access flap) with an elastic strap.  The waistbelt is fastex, and it has a thigh strap, too. I suspect my OD carrier is 1st edition, as the FCS techs hadn't seen a C4 mask with as few refits as mine during the fit tests recently, so they may have updated the carriers, in which case my comparison may not be all the valid   ;D

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Ahhh, good 'Ole RUMINT; it is a flying.
Caught wind of a doozy couple days ago, TF would be deploying to Texas (Fort Hood?) for dismounted Ex then, get this, deploying overseas from there.  :o

Cataract Kid said:
Ahhh, good 'Ole RUMINT; it is a flying.
Caught wind of a doozy couple days ago, TF would be deploying to Texas (Fort Hood?) for dismounted Ex then, get this, deploying overseas from there.  :o
Fort Bliss for the 3-08 TF... *supposedly*.

Infact, some people were informed they were tasked to it today.  No dates or details.....

I heard the southern thing as well, I would have thought California mind you seeing as it closely resembles A Stan.  The departure from there though will really suck for the spouses if true (which I have a hard time believing).

DirtyDog said:
Fort Bliss for the 3-08 TF... *supposedly*.

Infact, some people were informed they were tasked to it today.  No dates or details.....

Thats par for the course, the higher ups treating everyone like mushrooms (feeding em shyte and keeping them in the dark).  Hell they still haven't figured out whats going on with stream 4, and its supposed to start in like 5 weeks.  ::)

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:

I've heard the January Ex one but this is new.  I think part of this stuff comes from people being jumpy when we get called in early for work after we did the 10km run before goin into the field last May.  Was a nice surprise to be called in early just for a pee test though haha.

Hatchet Man said:
Thats par for the course, the higher ups treating everyone like mushrooms (feeding em shyte and keeping them in the dark). 

Ever work in a headquarters?  If every bright idea being staff-checked was briefed to the troops as a 'definite maybe' then you would be complaining that the CoC lies 90% of the time.  Rumours often have a tiny basis in fact, but quite often it dies before it turns into anything that actually affects day-to-day operations outside the HQ.

Hatchet Man said:
Thats par for the course, the higher ups treating everyone like mushrooms (feeding em shyte and keeping them in the dark).  Hell they still haven't figured out whats going on with stream 4, and its supposed to start in like 5 weeks.  ::)
I know the first several echelons of my CoC are as frustrated as I am trying to figure out what's going on.  They seem to be getting told something new every week, which is passed on to us.  Do you still call it a rumour when it comes down the chain?

-Skeletor- said:
I've heard the January Ex one but this is new.  I think part of this stuff comes from people being jumpy when we get called in early for work after we did the 10km run before goin into the field last May.  Was a nice surprise to be called in early just for a pee test though haha.

Yeah I think your right about being jumpy.  I'm not too concerned.  Even if I fall and break a hip or butcher my feet, I won't be going down south or anywhere else do to a patrol ex.  If that rumour pans out mind you.  I feel bad for those that are deploying mind you.  Its not the BFT per se, its the conditions it will be conducted in.

I am deploying down to Ft. Bliss 3rd week of Feb. I have dates ect so it seems pretty confirmed from where I sit.

Back