• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
No idea, I only cut and pasted of their site.  I am not fond of how the shoulder straps slide.  One quick pet peeve.

I hear your pain and by the end of next week I'll have a COTS fix available for both the issues of shoulder strap slide, as well as the shoulder straps being too short for wear with body armour.

Cheers,

Matt

Jammer said:
How narrow minded can you be....?
You obviously have no idea about what my trade does. I'd be happy to educate you about how diverse my trade is. Someone has to make sure you grunts can talk on the radio instead of banging on your heads to get it to work.If you want to get into a pissing match about who does what...bring it on.
I welcome it, otherwise educate yourself before spouting off crap.
Just for the record and your edification (knowledge for you), my last three tours were out of trade doing C-IED outside the wire.
CP..hahahahaha I haven't seen one of those for ten years, although I head the coffee's good there.
(Crawls back under rock watching "We Were Soldiers" and counting how many signallers get whacked.)

Well goody for you, send me a pic so I can hang it on my wall next to John Wayne and Dick Marcinko.  ;)

If you are only using the TAC Vest as a place to store magazines and other crap sure it works well, then again so does a laundry bag. The problem lies during those times you actually need to get at what's stored in it right frigging now  ie in the middle of a firefight. I have seen enough troops flopping on the ground like a fish out of water to get at their C9 drums,magazines and frag grenades to know that the TV doesn't work. This is critical time lost during a firefight, time when they and their section mates are left vulnerable.
    The average troop will figure out in a hurry that when the  metal is meeting the meat having magazines stacked in a pouch (the side C9 drum pouches) that was not designed to hold them is a poor choice ,as are C9 drum and frag pouches that are too tight and in the wrong location.
( going back to kicking over rocks and slaying dinosaurs)

I heard Recce Pl on TF 1-07 were issued the Kifaru ZXR for the tour.  Don't know if someone here can confirm that, I'll ask my 2IC tomorrow though.  Seems like another contradiction to me.

http://www.kifaru.net/MG_ZXR.htm

I agree that the issue vest is crap.  Graet for storing notebooks and palm pilots and other uber-geek stuff.  Earlier this year I ran into a dude from clothe the soldier that was involved in the ruc.  Back in 1999 they said we were goiung to get a new one, and now, ten years later almost, we start to.  But he looked me in the eye  and bugger me if he didn't say -"I have no idea how you are going to fit them all in the LAV'.

Clothe the soldier is a crap idea and organisation.  Olive drab combat jacket, CADPAT cbt jacket, what next.  Do it once and do it right.  Raingear.  Sorry, only 1-08 are priority for the green rainjacket, even though yours is obviously crap.  They need them in theatere apparently.    Where do all the UCRs go, and what action is taken on them?  WHERE DO ALL THE UCRs GO!!!

Haven't been over, but from what the guys in my Coy tell me you can expect to be hauling around 60-70 pounds on your back in the summer time on Ops.  They mostly used the issued Small Pack which was big enough to carry what they needs, but it has a POS belt so the weight is all on your upper body.  The XRay is about the same size in liters, but has better access and has a wicked looking optional belt. 

You can get a Coyote Brown RAID Pack from ATS Tactical on sale for $99 USD right now, down from $210.  The price is excellent, lots of great reviews. 

http://www.atstacticalgear.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LF-009!151

Kiwi99 said:
Clothe the soldier is a crap idea and organisation.  .................    Where do all the UCRs go, and what action is taken on them?  WHERE DO ALL THE UCRs GO!!!

I must agree with you, but then again, where would we be if they had not been created?  There are some very fine people in the various specialties of clothing design working hard to figure out and test what will best serve the soldier.  Does Clothe the Soldier take all their work and put it into production is the next question. 

On another note, as was pointed out before in other posts, some of that Gucci kit is dangerous to your health.  UnderArmor t-shirts and shorts, although great for sports, are dangerous in combat when exposed to heat and flames.  If you want to be a "Kit Whore" you better know your stuff or you are endangering your life.

I am sure no one wants to still be wearing the old OD Combat Jacket of the 1970's.

George Wallace said:
I am sure no one wants to still be wearing the old OD Combat Jacket of the 1970's.

There are still a few troops wearing them, particularly in Reserve units.

George Wallace said:
On another note, as was pointed out before in other posts, some of that Gucci kit is dangerous to your health.  UnderArmor t-shirts and shorts, although great for sports, are dangerous in combat when exposed to heat and flames.  If you want to be a "Kit *****" you better know your stuff or you are endangering your life.

Just to note, UnderArmor and 5.11 now make fire resistant shirts.

Garett said:
Haven't been over, but from what the guys in my Coy tell me you can expect to be hauling around 60-70 pounds on your back in the summer time on Ops.  They mostly used the issued Small Pack which was big enough to carry what they needs, but it has a POS belt so the weight is all on your upper body.  The XRay is about the same size in liters, but has better access and has a wicked looking optional belt. 

You can get a Coyote Brown RAID Pack from ATS Tactical on sale for $99 USD right now, down from $210.  The price is excellent, lots of great reviews. 

http://www.atstacticalgear.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LF-009!151
It's funny because the boys in my Coy said they did next to no humping, and the sum of their kit was in their valises as that was all their was room for in the LAV.

Haggis said:
There are still a few troops wearing them, particularly in Reserve units.
I think they're mostly wearing the OD gore-tex though, no?

In BMQ we were issued the corduroy OD combat jacket.  I just recently turned it in when I realised it was still on my docs.  The greenhorn supply tech didn't even know what it was.

dangerboy said:
As I was at the brief I can confirm what LWQ said in his above post. The briefing said that the Day pack is intended to replace the 82 pattern rucksac and the new ruck is designed for when you operate away from your vehicle or base for more than 72 hours.

And that certainly would have been the case for those receiving the brief you mention on entitlements. They were dismounted personnel. A first line operational Unit. The brief you are talking about was presented to the PPCLI no?

The same statement however, is NOT applicable to ALL Land Force Units & personnel. Read the PIP, read the updated briefing. It clearly differentiates between mounted/dismounted/rear echelon/pointy end.

BUT, the day pack is NOT replacing the 82 pattern ruck either. The day pack is intended for use in tasks lasting less than 24 hours ... and the new ruck for dismounted ops over that time. People like me will have a day pack and ... an 82 pattern ruck. You dismounted pers will have a day pack and a new ruck.

This has always been the intent (concerns about which have indeed been staffed to CTS) for these two items above, as per their PIPs (project implementation plans) which have been posted on the CTS web-site (links posted on this site many many times) for years now. This shouldn't be shocking news. The info has been available for years on the web-site. The update briefings (such as the one attached earlier) have also stressed this point many many times ... and it has been passed on at CLS WGs where each Army Base had representation at. It should not be news to anyone ... even the lowest level Pte, this many years later.

If I were giving a brief to the PPCLI -- I would certainly give them the entitlement details as you have stated above as those are the details which are applicable to THEM, but that does not mean those same "entitlements" are applicable to everyone else. Show me a Sup tech or an RMS clerk in NATO (for example) that works away from their vehicle or det for more than 72 hours ... and I'll show you a Sup tech who'll be getting the new ruck.

Hatchet Man said:
Just to note, UnderArmor and 5.11 now make fire resistant shirts.

Fire resistant is not quite the same as Fire retardant.   In the end though, if your clothes survive, but you are boiled or burnt to a crisp, we really haven't found a solution.   ;D

The point was: Know your kit.  Don't just buy something because it is Gucci and someone else says it is good.  If you want to wear something that is going to melt into your skin in a fire or explosion without knowing that was a flaw, fine with me.   Just make sure you know what you are buying.......Do the research.

I will agree that there are flame retardant clothing articles out there.  Some are in name only, and do not stand up to the test.  Others like Nomex are issued to certain Trades.  Nomex, however, is very expensive.   The search in finding a good fabric that is truly fire retardant, light and wicks sweat away, and cheap, is still ongoing.

MG34 said:
Well goody for you, send me a pic so I can hang it on my wall next to John Wayne and Dick Marcinko.  ;)

If you are only using the TAC Vest as a place to store magazines and other crap sure it works well, then again so does a laundry bag. The problem lies during those times you actually need to get at what's stored in it right frigging now  ie in the middle of a firefight. I have seen enough troops flopping on the ground like a fish out of water to get at their C9 drums,magazines and frag grenades to know that the TV doesn't work. This is critical time lost during a firefight, time when they and their section mates are left vulnerable.
     The average troop will figure out in a hurry that when the  metal is meeting the meat having magazines stacked in a pouch (the side C9 drum pouches) that was not designed to hold them is a poor choice ,as are C9 drum and frag pouches that are too tight and in the wrong location.
( going back to kicking over rocks and slaying dinosaurs)

That's sweet, really.
You have to be my hero. Where else can you be on the receiving end of such rapier like wit and still come out looking like Gumby. The next guys you're going to go after the MSE guys who ride Hwy 1 and 4 every day dodging IEDs and ambushes. Lazy Tim Hortons eatin'  coffee drinkin' slaggards!!!!
Seriously though, don't get me wrong. The TV is far from being even close to desirable, thus guy's were/are buying their own rigs.
Now that you've deftly identified the problem...I'm going to go back to wearing my '68 pattern webbing...velcro strips and gun tape to hold it together.
(Daring him to even come close to my rock lest he get stomped...again.)

George Wallace said:
I will agree that there are flame retardant clothing articles out there.  Some are in name only, and do not stand up to the test.  Others like Nomex are issued to certain Trades.  Nomex, however, is very expensive.   The search in finding a good fabric that is truly fire retardant, light and wicks sweat away, and cheap, is still ongoing.

There is some good stuff getting out there, some of even sold by an Army.ca advertiser  ;D

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=500

George Wallace said:
In the end though, if your clothes survive, but you are boiled or burnt to a crisp, we really haven't found a solution.   ;D

Throw it in the wash and issue it out again.

George Wallace said:
1970's ?  Or the OD 'Gortex' of the 1990's?
The 1970's canvas coat.  It is still issued to new recruit Reservists in lieu of ICE or IECS.

There are still dozens and dozens of soldiers across Canada still wearing the "original" IECS OD GoreTex jackets.

Kiwi99 said:
Where do all the UCRs go, and what action is taken on them?  WHERE DO ALL THE UCRs GO!!!

I can only recommend that you query your Unit UCR co-ordinator. They should have assigned it a tracking number and logged it into the national tracking system electronicly when they recieved it from you.

All they need to do is log in, enter the tracking number ... and see who, what & where it is right now ... and it's status.

Do you know who your UCR co-ordinator is?
Do you know what your tracking number is? They should have advised you of that.

George Wallace said:
Fire resistant is not quite the same as Fire retardant.   In the end though, if your clothes survive, but you are boiled or burnt to a crisp, we really haven't found a solution.   ;D

The point was: Know your kit.  Don't just buy something because it is Gucci and someone else says it is good.  If you want to wear something that is going to melt into your skin in a fire or explosion without knowing that was a flaw, fine with me.   Just make sure you know what you are buying.......Do the research.

5.11 and under-Armour both produce fire retardent clothing.  Some of which is %100 Nomex and reasonably priced.  Potomac field gear seem to make some decent stuff too.

EDIT - CP now has some nice looking stuff as well.

Back