• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running Shoes Recommendation

Hey ppl!  I've been keeping an eye on this post, I'll be doing my BMQ *next* summer now from the looks of it... I've got a favourite pair of Nike Shox that I find a bit softer on the concrete impact running, but I've never run through mud, sand, rocks, etc...  From your military experiences, you think they'd hold up?  I've been getting the vibe that NB, Aasics are good picks, but anything with lots of shock protection?  ...and good support for really high arches?  (btw, ever heard of anyone having high of arches causing problems during the medical evaluation?!)  Cheers, -gc.

It sounds like you might under-pronate. Get to your nearest Running Room and get properly fitted for running shoes. They will find you the right shoe for your foot and stride.

Note, most runners I know, stay clear away from Nike.

I run long distances and I have extremely high arches.  Fortunately, they are not rigid but are very flexible (which according to my civie/pre-CF podiatrist is a very unusual thing.)  I wear custom orthotics so I have to have my sneakers fitted with every purchase.  Fitting is the key to running relatively injury-free.   I can't strees how important it is to get properly fitting shoes.  People with regular feet may be able to get a decent pair of shoes that suit their purposes without difficulty but if you have any idiosyncracies with either your gait or your foot structure, I highly recommend being fitted for two reasons:

(1) to get properly fitting sneakers (about 85% of non-runners are wearing running shoes that are too small -- say goodbye toenails!); and
(2) to have get running shoes that accomodate your particular gait (ie. under/over pronation) or foot (ie. high/low arches, wide/narrow foot, long toes, narrow heel etc)

I always recommend bringing the last pair of shoes worn for running (or other sports if you don't have a pair of shoes for running per se).  The wear patterns on your running shoes can provide an experienced shoe fitter with a wealth of information about your gait.

If you have high arches, you most likely have a narrower foot.  If this is the case, NB are great because you can get them in varying widths which is not the case for most running shoes.  Trust me, with a 10.5 AA (Ladies) foot, finding good fitting sneakers is a challenge.

The Running Room is generally good for fitting.  Try to find staff that has been there a while because some of the new staff may not have been trained to do fittings yet.  Good luck.

(I personally love the new  NB 766s. I have been a big fan of the whole 76x line for years but this is my favourite model.  Too bad the price just went up another $20 to $150!)

Holy Price Batman!  ...thanks for the awesome advice, I never had really looked in to the technical details of footwear and feet before!  :p  Sounds like it's a good thing, esp for BMQ!  :)  You guys rock....  :salute:  (Edmonton Comm Dude)

mdh said:
one word for you - Asics - cheers,  ;)

unless you have narrow feet!

(I used to wear asics for volleyball and I loved them.  For whatever reason, their running shoes are made off of a different last for women's and I can't get a decent fit... and god knows I have tried them and I really really wanted to like them!)

As an aside, does anyone put any miles on Mizunos?  If so, what model and what did you think?

commIT said:
Holy Price Batman!  ...thanks for the awesome advice, I never had really looked in to the technical details of footwear and feet before!  :p  Sounds like it's a good thing, esp for BMQ!  :)  You guys rock....  :salute:  (Edmonton Comm Dude)

Consider the money down range as an investment in your career.  Properly fitting shoes will help preserve your ankles, knees, hips and lower back.

Also:  never let your shoes get worn out.  If you start to develop discomfort after wearing the same pair of shoes painfree for several months, it is likely time to get new shoes.

unless you have narrow feet!

I've got narrow feet and they're ok for me - but i agree that Nikes are way overrated - I had a pair that didn't have the same cushion effect and I discarded them after a couple of long runs. 

I do want to try out the latest craze in shoes that are supposed to simulate running barefoot (not sure what they're called).

And scoutfinch is right on about making the investment in decent shoes - you can easily replace the extra $50 but it's a lot tougher to replace your joints.

cheers,  :D

mdh said:
I do want to try out the latest craze in shoes that are supposed to simulate running barefoot (not sure what they're called).

I do too but I have been too chicken to do so!  Give us an update if you try it out.

A lot of good suggestions here, especially regarding going to the Running Room, specialized running socks (huge difference from white tube socks, believe me), and here's another one that is related to both the Running Room and only wearing your shoes for a set period of time (I have heard 500 miles (800km) more than a few times): the Running Room website has a training log that you can utilize to track your workouts (which in and of itself is excellent), but there is also a function to record the mileage that you run in your shoes (and you can have several profiles, for different shoes, as it is a good idea to have more than one pair of shoes anyways). That way you don't lose track of how much mileage you have piled onto the shoes, and replace them as neccesary.

Yes, I sound like a shill for the Running Room, but their service is outstanding, and they have an awesome return policy: if the shoes don't "work" for you, you can return them (assuming that they are still in good (i.e resellable) condition, within 30 days (IIRC)). Because I have the uxury of an indoor running track, I try new shoes out in there first before hitting the muddy running trails in case the shoe and my foot doesn't get along. Nothing worse than dropping $200 on a pair of shoes, and they stay in the closet because they cause agony to your feet. And how many other chain stores offer 10% to the military, from  coast to coast? Not too freaking many, I'll tell you.

Al

Edit: Here's the website (for the clinics, https://www.clinics.runningroom.com/login/start.php. You'll have to create an account, but you're off and running (bad pun, sorry  :p) from there.

commIT said:
Can you get custom orthotics for your combat boots?  :army:

The short answer is yes. The longer answer (as I went through the process over 4 years ago, it may have changed since then, but unlikely) is yes, with a trip to the UMS first, a doctor's referral to physio, and then they assess your feet to see whether orthotics would assist any condition/problem you have. That process will take some time, because of the length of time that is required to wait for appointments/referrals for the MO and Physio.

That's the answer if you want the Crown to pay. If you want to pay (because you don't want to go through the system, or whatever other reason), be prepared to pay big bucks. But, it is your body we are talking about, and you don't get issued new knees, ankles, hips, etc when they wear out, so it is actually a good investment.

Al

commIT said:
Can you get custom orthotics for your combat boots?  :army:

I just took my orthotics out of my running shoes and slipped them into my combat boots.  The orthotics are designed to bring you back to a neutral foot (ie. no under or over pronation) so they are suitable for any neutral footware.  The first couple of times of transferring was a little difficult but as my boots are getting worked in, it gets easier and easier to switch them over.  I intend to get a second pair once I have time.  (Although orthotics are about $400 first time out, you get to keep the molds made of your feet so your subsequent pairs can be made less expensively without having to have the latex molds made and gait analysis completed). 

I don't know about all othotics but mine are very rigid/hard.  In my combat boots, I placed a pair of gel insoles over top of them to give some cushioning while doing drill or running around in my boots.  I found that the bottoms of my feet hurt (actually felt bruised) prior to putting them in.

I don't know the Reg Force mechanism for getting custom orthotics. I did it as a civilian and  I had to have a referral from my family physician to a podiatrist.  I also had to have a script from my doctor to get my insurance to cover it.  She stated it was to treat and prevent plantar fasciitis and the insurance companies were satisfied.

I second Al's comments regarding The Running Room.  They do a GREAT job servicing the running community.  They are also active members of the communities in which they are situated and sponsor many many running events.  I also commend for your reading John Stanton's book Running Start to Finish for any novice runner.  I learned heaps from it.

I too am particular about the socks I wear.  Proper socks will avoid the chafing that results in blisters.  I also keep a running journal in which I keep track of my mileage on various shoes.  I confess that I don't ever seem to manage to get 800 kms out of a pair of shoes before replacing them but I think that is me just wanting shiney new shoes (for 5 minutes atleast :))

I personally had lots of problems with my or thotics.

Like Allan Luomala said, UMS/physio and all that good stuff.
They detected that I had a leg shorter than the other one, and took a reading with a pressure plate/laptop to order the or thotics + to compensate for the leg length discrepancy. I got a nice pair of Magnum boots to accommodate the or thotics too. I had to have them reorder or thotics (they were wrong)

It didn't do me any good. It was like opening a Pandora's box for me.
Pain (I respected their recommendation to gradually switch), I overstretched some ligaments, broke a bone in my foot...

I took them out, and I feel better now.
Then again it's just me.

Good thing that for others it's miraculous though...

My 2 cents..

I just picked up a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus VII shoes from the Running Room, and they feel pretty good, got lots of cushioning. However I have only run in them a few times. Anyone used these before? If so did you ever get an injury? I agree that the Running Room is a great store, it's the only place I'll be buying my runners from.  ;D

As an aside, does anyone put any miles on Mizunos?  If so, what model and what did you think?

I've been running on Mizunos for the past year and have been very happy with them. My first pair were Wave Alchemy IV (W) and my current shoes are Wave Rider 8 (W). In my experience, they're great shoes for people with wider feet. I haven't done any serious amount of running on other brands though, so I can't speak as to how they compare.

I bought a nice pair of running shoe, (for the indoor runs) for basics. Also picked up 2 pairs of running socks , the girl said it will help with blisters. Got my 10 percent discount which was nice.

Anyone know if they will reimbursement the running shoes? hehe

Why by $130.00 running shoes when the Army issues a great $20.00 pair that weigh 15 lbs. and blister your feet to the point where your feet are constantly numb? Do answer this question hmmmm...

:salute:

Well there are lots of good recommendations here....I sure wish we had a Running Room here in Pet.

As for me I have been recently (over the past 4 years) getting into long distance running and the half marathon (don't even say it Al    ;)  ). As such the most important thing is a good pair of runners, which has already been discussed at length.

I normally wear Reebok running sneakers...until I found out when I was shopping for a new pair that they, alas, are getting out of the runners department.

So I had to start looking for a pair that would suit me. I went to the local Sportschek with an open mind.

As luck would have it the girl that served me was a marathon runner that I recognised and we began a good fitting process. tried on literally every running shoe in the store....

My frau was about to kill me after almost 2 hours.

Left the store with a pair of Nike Air Moto 3's...but with a bit of reservation in the back of my mind. I know how my feet feel in my old runners...this was really different.

Anyways next morning went for a little jog...5 km, somewhat a breaking in run, and the shoes felt fine. The day after a bit longer of a run, 7 km...shoes felt a bit wonkey so I adjusted them a couple of times during the run...tossed it to the shoes breaking in.

Day 3 and it was a long run day, minimum of 10km or an hour long, whichever came last. So after about 8 km my right foot was on fire ( and I was adjusting it constantly)....there was something wrong and I wasn't looking forward to taking off the sneakers at all.

Needless to say there was no skin left on the outside of baby toe and the shower was torture  ;D

Went back in the same day to the retailer mentioned above and complained...so another fitting was done and I walked out with a pair of Nike Shok 2:45's (freakin expensive!)

Went for a run a couple of days later (after my toe healed up a bit) and it was like night and day. Feet felt really good and there was very little shock going up my bad knee, as was the case with other shoes I've tried over the years.

The girl was amazed that they were working so well for me, she was completely against me getting them for some of the reasons mentioned above, pronation (sp?) etc.

Like it was said earlier in this thread...don't go for name brand, go for the shoe that works for you.

I love my Reeboks (still have them as walking shoes) but now I love my Nikes....and that will probably change with the next set I buy.

Back