• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running Shoes Recommendation

Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
Same as subject, which running shoes do you guys/gals recommend? I'll be doing BMQ and SQ in the summer, so I want to do my running in a good pair of runners, any recommendation(s) is/are appreciated. Nothing more expensive than $130 please.

Go to you local running room, or specialty running store. They should get you to do tests to see how you walk, where you need support, and give you the "right" running shoes. Also, do not buy from brand or looks, and good luck with your BMQ.

Where are you from? if you live in Calgary i can hook you up with some good shoes

New Balance make good running shoes.  I just purchased the 975:   
The ultimate combination of cushion and stability, the 975 utilizes our ABZORB EX technology in the heel for unsurpassed performance, fit and feel.

Retail price: 129.99 on sale for 119.99

Rstratdn said:
Where are you from? if you live in Calgary i can hook you up with some good shoes
i live in the Greater Vancouver Area, I guess I just missed out on a great deal.

Ok well the first thing you have to do is figure out if you have a neutral foot or not. If not then find out if you roll to the inside or outside when you walk.. that will greatly change the shoe you get. New Balance, Mizuno, and Asics are great shoes. Sport Chek or Coast Mountain Sports usually have good deals going on but make sure you know what type of shoe is the right one for you because generally speaking most people that work there don't know shit.

You want a shoe that has the right support for you.  Make sure you buy a Running shoe.  Not a cross trainer or basketball shoe.  Running shoes are designed to go from toe to heel in the shortest distance possible.  The ones with the mesh toes and sides are great.  Will help your foor breather properly.  Also pick up a pair of good socks.  Under armor makes a great sock for running.  Will help bring the moisture away from your foot, and won't hold it inside the sock like a normal gym sock does.  This combined with the mesh will have your feet breathing nice. 

Also be sure to get the right size.  Most people wear shoes that are too big for them, you want to allow for some swelling of the foot, especially if you're running 5k pus, but it should feel snug.

I'm not sure if anyone still makes them but Adidas used to make a killer cross-country running shoe. I wouldn't advise using this shoe on pavement though...its purely for cross-country/off-road type running.

derael said:
..... I wouldn't advise using this shoe on pavement though...

Bad shoe for Army PT than, 90% of running I've done for PT was on a road.

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

Well I take back my recommendation then. I haven't been to basic yet...but I think I'll save the running shoe purchase till my CEOTP application goes through. Till then I'll stay off the roads.  :)

I wear Asics Gel 1100, they are almost all mesh, so the feet stay cool, but still manage to keep a comfortable and stable grip on my foot. They work really well for me.

It's really an individual situation, and you really, like everyone is saying, need to go to a specialty running store.  Don't grab a neat looking pair from Foot Locker.

If you have a pair of running shoes you've been using, bring them along as the staff at a running store can look at the wear pattern to get your shoe style correct.  Try on every brand shoe in your style and budget to see what feels best (at least run around the store a little), and carry on.  It's a very personal choice - New Balance 1060s were the worst shoe I ever ran, really tearing up knees and causing shin splints (I've never had shin splints).  Now I'm on Saucony Triumphs, and they're great.

Get several pairs of good running socks, too.  Really worth the money and something a lot of people don't necessarily consider.

Go to the running room.

The best shoes are the ones that are right for you, and their staff will help you find them.

Hey, when did they allow you to bring your own footwear to do PT in?  In St. Jean, we were issued beautiful grey meshy looking things?!?  (Rumour had it that they were made by Nike, but it didn't help it's case any!)  :p  So I'm supposed to do my BMQ next year in Shilo, you're saying that I get to bring my own for that?  :blotto:

Also, the Running Room will give you a 10% military discount...sure you may not officially be military till you've signed on the dotted line, but since you are obviously looking for shoes for military PT, you should get the discount...but be sure to ask for it...they don't often offer it out, but if you ask, they won't refuse.

Good Luck!

Kara

commIT said:
Hey, when did they allow you to bring your own footwear to do PT in?  In St. Jean, we were issued beautiful grey meshy looking things?!?  (Rumour had it that they were made by Nike, but it didn't help it's case any!)   :p  So I'm supposed to do my BMQ next year in Shilo, you're saying that I get to bring my own for that?   :blotto:
I was on this weekend BMQ course (I couldn't finish due to personal reasons) anyway, before the course starts, I got this list of items which they want you to bring, a pair of runners was on the list

Thnx guys and/or gals for all the recommendations, I went to this local Running Room and bought myself a pair of New Balance. The 10% military discount is confirmed by the way.

Back