• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Difficulty running with flat feet

RichardCaan

Reaction score
Good day, I have BMOQ in 4 months from now and I am on track to meet all my goals for pull ups, push ups and rucking. However, I am finding a good amount of difficulty running especially since I have flat feet and poor ankle stiffness.

I got the orthotics and bought barefoot and running shoes, I alternate between them however I run much better with barefoot shoes. I am also doing flat feet exercises to regain my arch and working to improve my ankle stiffness along with switching to a forefoot strike.

So for any flat footed members of the CAF who have flat feet and anterior pelvic tilt, what would you recommend and what are the cues you use while running/jogging? Also my legs on some days feel INSANELY heavy, it feels like I have two bricks on my legs on somedays haha. If you had this issue please let me know how you fixed it!

Appreciate all the responses!!!

Good day, I have BMOQ in 4 months from now and I am on track to meet all my goals for pull ups, push ups and rucking. However, I am finding a good amount of difficulty running especially since I have flat feet and poor ankle stiffness.

I got the orthotics and bought barefoot and running shoes, I alternate between them however I run much better with barefoot shoes. I am also doing flat feet exercises to regain my arch and working to improve my ankle stiffness along with switching to a forefoot strike.

So for any flat footed members of the CAF who have flat feet and anterior pelvic tilt, what would you recommend and what are the cues you use while running/jogging? Also my legs on some days feel INSANELY heavy, it feels like I have two bricks on my legs on somedays haha. If you had this issue please let me know how you fixed it!

Appreciate all the responses!!!

Did you see an orthopedic professional about your orthotics, like someone who works with athletes etc?

Made all the difference in the world for me, but it took a few months of trial and error to figure out what worked best.

Did you see an orthopedic professional about your orthotics, like someone who works with athletes etc?

Made all the difference in the world for me, but it took a few months of trial and error to figure out what worked best.
Yup I did, the chiropodist I worked with has experience working with a lot of CAF members, she is located near the Denison Armory. She gave me the exercises and made custom orthotics. So far its only been a few weeks with orthotics, but hopefully I can resolve this issue cuz my ankles are killing me haha.

Yup I did, the chiropodist I worked with has experience working with a lot of CAF members, she is located near the Denison Armory. She gave me the exercises and made custom orthotics. So far its only been a few weeks with orthotics, but hopefully I can resolve this issue cuz my ankles are killing me haha.

Great.

If you can, try running on grass/ soft dirt or a rubber track for awhile while your bones/muscles get used to it. That helped me quite a bit.

Try using a lacrosse ball on your feet too... it sounds weird but it works.

Great.

If you can, try running on grass/ soft dirt or a rubber track for awhile while your bones/muscles get used to it. That helped me quite a bit.

Try using a lacrosse ball on your feet too... it sounds weird but it works.

Thanks!

Athletic Therapist here!
Orthotics will help you give you the support you need in the short-medium term.
Stick to the exercises given to you by your chiropodist as they will strengthen your muscles (arches) of your foot and provide a long-term solution.
On top of the lacrosse ball, you can freeze a water bottle and then roll your soles with that as well (especially those days that your feet feel particularly sore)

Not sure what trade you are in, but I’d also get boots and fitted orthopedic supports for those as well.

Running Room or any other dedicated running store can also help in looking at your walk/run and getting a shoe that is right for you. I suffered through flat feet for years on Mk1’s and Cornwallis Cripplers, then in 1995 went to a Running Room in Calgary and got fitted for shoes that worked - as I pronated when I walked/ran that also caused knee issues (mainly to the interior collateral ligaments). Then as well as got a boot chit from the Base Surgeon based on the Orthopedic’s recommendations to never where CAF issued footwear again.

Lower back and knee exercises are also highly recommended.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I recommend checking out "KneesOverToesGuy" on Youtube for some lower body mobility advice. Otherwise, make sure you're resting enough between workouts. If your legs feel like bricks, they probably haven't recovered from your last training session. Muscle adaptation happens after recovery, if you workout again before you've properly recovered you could be limiting progress... more volume is not always better.

Back