• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

So is it too early to start a thread on the QPJM (Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal)?  >:D

Danjanou said:
So is it too early to start a thread on the QPJM (Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal)?  >:D

Wait for the CCCM thread goes up.  ;D

(Charles & Camilla Coronation Medal)

Infanteer said:
Political hand-outs aside, having seen higher direction on the CF implementation of this recognition I generally have faith that this one will go to deserving members.  The chain of command is vetting all submissions to ensure that personnel being awarded the QDJM are, generally, among the top 10%.  The ORMM process is (roughly) being applied as a guideline.
I hope the future shows you to be right.

MCG said:
I hope the future shows you to be right.

I hope so too, but in the end, what's the difference.

Military members "compete" for a medal that is given out to civillains for often dubious reasons. Does having a "competition" somehow make the medal more meaningful ? A military guy who gets it stands next to an MP who got it just for being an MP......its the same medal.

Put one medal in a frame, add a small inscription that says "To canadian forces, for outstanding service" and hang it in the concourse of NDHQ. Done.

cupper said:
Wait for the CCCM thread goes up.  ;D

(Charles & Camilla Coronation Medal)

Oh that one will show up a year after, forcing those lucky few who get it to again get their bling remounted. It's a plot by the retired who went into the medal court mounting business.  8)

CDN Aviator said:
I hope so too, but in the end, what's the difference.

Military members "compete" for a medal that is given out to civillains for often dubious reasons. Does having a "competition" somehow make the medal more meaningful ? A military guy who gets it stands next to an MP who got it just for being an MP......its the same medal.

Put one medal in a frame, add a small inscription that says "To canadian forces, for outstanding service" and hang it in the concourse of NDHQ. Done.

You know I could live with this, sort of like the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to all UN Peacekeepers or, and this is stretching it, Malta GC.  Either this or use the Brit system, your're in uniform you get one unless you got the last one then you get a bar for it.

So I've been watching the poor Chief next to me pull his beard hair out over this one for weeks.  I overheard a quote that may be deep and profound, or may just be nonsensical.  It made me chuckle and think a little nonetheless.  (Or maybe it was just how exasperated he became while saying it.)

"Sir, 20% of the medals designated for your organization at that rank level must go to females, because 20% of the soldiers in your organization at that rank level are females.  Now I am not one to tell you how you do business, but you have a lot of medals to award.  If you were tossing coins, I would not have to tell you that because 50% of the sides of the coin are heads, I expect to see heads roughly 50% of the time.  All other things being equal... yes... yes sir... well sir, all other things should be equal, and if they aren't, then I would suggest that your organization is dong something wrong. Yes... Yes Sir.  Yes, it is precisely because gender IS a non-factor that this shouldnt be an issue.  If you are going to tell me that the females in your organization are disproportionately incompetent, I am going to tell you that there is a systemic problem in how your organization trains and employs females."

Cadwr said:
"...If you are going to tell me that the females in your organization are disproportionately incompetent, I am going to tell you that there is a systemic problem in how your organization trains and employs females."

That's AWESOME!!

Danjanou said:
Unlike a certain unit I know whose three member committee for the 125 medal all coincidentally ended up with the only three 125 medals awarded to the unit. ::)

That would have been my unit at the time? The CO, RSM, Adjt all just happened to get the medal. Must have done the trick as the CO went on the become Bde Comd, so he was obviously an excellent judge of character.

The nominations I put in for the medal (you know, including those underserving Cpl/Ptes who had done multiple tours in Former Yugo) were ignored, of course.  ::)

So the big question is...Can you buy the british version and mount it along with your QDJM  >:D

Maybe then I'll actually bother to apply for the sacrifice medal. Add 3 medals in one shot.  ;D

recceguy said:
So I wonder how this is going to play out for Service members?

Are they to be part of the 60,000? Will we have another lottery fiasco? Is there to be a special run outside the 60,000 for the military?

'Inquiring minds want to know!'  :D

11000 (18.3%) for CF.

avgpjon said:
11000 (18.3%) for CF.

Yes, he knows. We all know.

But.....Is that 11 000 included in the 60K Canadian total or is it over-and-above, making it 71k. Thats what he's getting at.

Comparison of CF distribution of other commemoratives:

Centennial      29500, CF 8500 (28.8%)
125                42000, CF 4000 (9.5%)
Silver              30000, CF 7000 (23.3%)
Golden            46000, CF 9600 (20.8%)

For my own part, I want nothing to do with this fiasco. All or none, pretty simple. Their are other, more appropriate awards for excellent service and soldiers, sailors and airmen who are deserving should get those and not some trinket trivialized by issuance to people for being in the right job at the right time (MPs).

Now, if issuance was reserved for only those exceptional cases, then sure. But the fact that it is issued carte blanche to one group, but not another makes this a trinket and nothing more. 

/End rant, gotta get back to studying.

dogger1936 said:
Second photo... isn't the far right medal a cadet good service medal? Why is it on his blazer with his CF decorations?

Not quite. Army Cadet League of Canada Volunteer Service Medal, awarded by the Army Cadet League of Canada to people who volunteer for a minimum of 5 years with the army cadet program. Nevertheless, definitely shouldn't be there.

Teeps74 said:
For my own part, I want nothing to do with this fiasco. All or none, pretty simple. Their are other, more appropriate awards for excellent service and soldiers, sailors and airmen who are deserving should get those and not some trinket trivialized by issuance to people for being in the right job at the right time (MPs).

Now, if issuance was reserved for only those exceptional cases, then sure. But the fact that it is issued carte blanche to one group, but not another makes this a trinket and nothing more. 

/End rant, gotta get back to studying.

Too bad we have to wait until a significant milestone in a monarch's rein is reached to recognize deserving people with a gong like this. Here's a suggestion to make the decision making easy while incenting the right behaviour: give one to everyone who has been awarded something for distinguished service under fire/on operations (i.e., VC to CEFCOM commendation/MiD/ Bronze star etc), then send the rest back with thanks.

"It is with such baubles that men are led"
Napoleon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Honour

I've heard this conversation almost daily for the last few weeks as well:

"No Sir, you are only alotted 1 QDJM at that rank level.  Yes Sir, I appreciate that you have multiple individuals who you believe are worthy of recognition.  Sir, are you aware that there are other honours and awards for which you can nominate those individuals?  Uh-huh... uh-huh.. you don't say...  well Sir, that sounds like a commander's commendation at the least to me, heck, maybe even an MSM.  Would you like me to forward you the forms?"

If nothing else, I remain hopeful that some one somewhere, in the course of going through the exercise and considering whom to nominate for this medal, will be inclined to pursue recognition for those he wishes to nominate, QDJM or not.  If a name comes up as being genuinely "deserving," but is beyond the "quota" - well then write that troop up for recognition appropriate to his or her situation. 

Cadwr said:

"No Sir, you are only alotted 1 QDJM at that rank level.  Yes Sir, I appreciate that you have multiple individuals who you believe are worthy of recognition.  Sir, are you aware that there are other honours and awards for which you can nominate those individuals?  Uh-huh... uh-huh.. you don't say...  well Sir, that sounds like a commander's commendation at the least to me, heck, maybe even an MSM.  Would you like me to forward you the forms?"

If nothing else, I remain hopeful that some one somewhere, in the course of going through the exercise and considering whom to nominate for this medal, will be inclined to pursue recognition for those he wishes to nominate, QDJM or not.  If a name comes up as being genuinely "deserving," but is beyond the "quota" - well then write that troop up for recognition appropriate to his or her situation. 

I support this idea, it's a very good point.

JMesh said:
Not quite. Army Cadet League of Canada Volunteer Service Medal, awarded by the Army Cadet League of Canada to people who volunteer for a minimum of 5 years with the army cadet program. Nevertheless, definitely shouldn't be there.

Beautiful. Since moving away from a larger CFB I've seen some great combo's at pde's and remembrance days.

Unreal.

Cadwr said:

Sounds alot like something I heard at a Formation Chief's O-Group in Victoria a couple years ago...those other commendations, awards and orders are often cast aside/ignored/forgotten about for the normal working folks, even if they qualify or deserve them.  This sounds like something that should be added as at least an EO at the Junior Leader Level - awareness of the various ways of rewarding your subordinates for work that they do above and beyond.  It shouldn't be left up to the mid-level supervisor or the junior officer to get things on the go this way - it should come from the lowest level of supervision, the person that sees their day to day work.  Then when something mentally challenged like this medal lotto comes up, there are already files on the CO's desk for other things as well - if they think they qualify for something bettter, they can move the file to another pile.  This is something that should be sent down the pipe quarterly as a reminder to the NCO/WO level and the commissioned appointments to ensure good work gets recognized somewhere other than on PDR/PER's.

MM

Cadwr said:

During my three weeks at work ... First I worked on MSM and Commendation nominations and submitted them. When all that was done, I looked at the QDJM stuff. Priorities are correct for some of us; have faith.

Back