• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Pugsley said:
In the past week I saw an individual wearing the silver QDJM pin on his uniform.  Is this actually authorized, or better yet is there anything written about it?

The medals are already being distributed.  There are Diamond Jubliee pins available, as noted by Pugsley, but they are not authorized for wear on the uniform.

Ah, yes.. I believe one of the forum members has received his QDJM...Jim Seggie.

That reminds me I have to go get my 1812 pin.

I believe my unit is just distributing the QDJM based on the people with the most amount of time in their rank... Hardly the top 10%... and of course the command team ensures by this calculation that they all get theirs too..

Snakedoc said:
I believe my unit is just distributing the QDJM based on the people with the most amount of time in their rank... Hardly the top 10%... and of course the command team ensures by this calculation that they all get theirs too..

In rather explicit contravention of policy, then, if I'm not mistaken...

Brihard said:
In rather explicit contravention of policy, then, if I'm not mistaken...
Yes indeed. Merit-criteria was quite clear in the instructions, in order to avoid the clique- and age-driven goat rodeo of the QGJM. Yet, it appears even something that simple could get screwed up. :not-again:

Journeyman said:
Yes indeed. Merit-criteria was quite clear in the instructions, in order to avoid the clique- and age-driven goat rodeo of the QGJM. Yet, it appears even something that simple could get screwed up. :not-again:

<Shrug> So it'll just get shrugged off as another useless gimme medal, as expected by most. Anyone in uniform will be able to tell the difference between a commemorative and tour bling.

Just back from Ceremonial Divisions. 5 MS 1 PO2 1 PO1 2 Lt(N) 2 LCdr

Knowing the recipients, I think this was done fairly, given the constraints the CO was under.

Journeyman said:
Apparently there was a "diversity" clause though.....

I don't understand why they can't just do what the Brits did and issue it to everyone that is serving, it would alleviate a lot of issues.

RoyalDrew said:
I don't understand why they can't just do what the Brits did and issue it to everyone that is serving, it would alleviate a lot of issues.

That was asked at the beginning of this topic.  The 'frugalness' of our Government was listed as the main reason why it isn't.

George Wallace said:
That was asked at the beginning of this topic.  The 'frugalness' of our Government was listed as the main reason why it isn't.

Surely procuring a 100,000 medals is not that significant of a cost, considering how much money we "waste" (depending on your point of view) on other things.  But alas its already a done deal.  All I can say is the troops have already written it off as a medal the senior leadership give their buddies.  Its pretty sad because I know of some folk that are still waiting on GCS-SWA bars and medals for OP HESTIA etc...

RoyalDrew said:
Surely procuring a 100,000 medals is not that significant of a cost, considering how much money we "waste" (depending on your point of view) on other things.  But alas its already a done deal.  All I can say is the troops have already written it off as a medal the senior leadership give their buddies.  Its pretty sad because I know of some folk that are still waiting on GCS-SWA bars and medals for OP HESTIA etc...

Are you saying all their buddies were merited high enough to get it?

Or are you saying your leadership is dishonest and can't follow direction?

RoyalDrew said:
All I can say is the troops have already written it off as a medal the senior leadership give their buddies.
In your profile, you claim to be a Lieutenant. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to exercise some of that "leadership" you get paid to exercise, and have a talk with your troops.

Feel free to chat with your chain of command to ensure you understand the criteria they were obligated to use in selecting recipients.

I am saying that is the general impression I have gotten from the soldiers whenever the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal is discussed.  You can say what you want about it; however, the CF track record over the past little while concerning honours and awards isn't exactly glowing.  Case in point: personnel not receiving medals and awards until years after they earned it.  That is for another discussion, however.

Its all optics and when you have a medal such as the Queens Diamond Jubilee where you literally have to do nothing for it and you only issue it to a select few people, handpicked by the CoC of course things such as career padding are going to come into question. 

You didn't even pause to think through what I said, did you?

Oh well, I guess there's nothing to be done.  :not-again:

RoyalDrew said:

Are you talking about this?

Danjanou said:
http://www.servicecomm.co.uk/catalogue.php?product=683&productID=the-queen-s-diamond-jubilee-medal-2012-commemorative-issue

It actually mentions, "to all who served in uniform as a lasting memento of her sixty glorious years as Monarch."

Danjanou said:
... you can go out and award yourself one for only a nominal fee.

Sorry I was replying to Recceguy and did not realize you had posted.  I am making a general statement concerning the optics of how the medal was issued.  The Canadian Forces isn't the only armed force that does this sort of thing and its nothing new.  I am just saying if they were concerned about this they would of issued it to everyone. 

57Chevy said:
Are you talking about this?

It actually mentions, "to all who served in uniform as a lasting memento of her sixty glorious years as Monarch."

No I am talking about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_II_Diamond_Jubilee_Medal
In the United Kingdom and its overseas territories, 450,000 medals were awarded to all members of HM Armed Forces (regular and reserves), operational members of HM Prison Service, and emergency services personnel (including Police Community Support Officers) who have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, and who had completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012. Living holders of the Victoria Cross and George Cross and members of the Royal Household were also eligible.

RoyalDrew said:
Sorry I was replying to Recceguy and did not realize you had posted.  I am making a general statement concerning the optics of how the medal was issued.  The Canadian Forces isn't the only armed force that does this sort of thing and its nothing new.  I am just saying if they were concerned about this they would of issued it to everyone.

Optics?

Concerned?  Who is concerned?  Someone not getting a medal?

Have you priced the cost of the medal?

Where would you propose the cutoff line be?  Those currently serving?  Those who have served in last ten years?  Those who have served since the Coronation?  Who, Where and When?

George Wallace said:
Optics?

Concerned?  Who is concerned?  Someone not getting a medal?

Have you priced the cost of the medal?

Where would you propose the cutoff line be?  Those currently serving?  Those who have served in last ten years?  Those who have served since the Coronation?  Who, Where and When?

If the UK, with all their budget slashing, defence reductions and faltering economy can produce 450,000 Medals I am sure we could of come up with the cash to produce a quarter of that amount.  If we were going to issue a medal like this it should of been all or nothing.  Australia didn't issue one so why did we.

I myself am not actually overly concerned at all, in fact I don't give a damn about the medal.  Heck maybe I might even get one as LFCA hasn't issued their allotment yet.  I am just merely stating what the optics from many are on this medal. 

In any regard this is a forum where you can post opinions, my opinion being it should of been an all or nothing issuing of the medal.  If you don't agree with it thats fine, then will agree to disagree then  8)

Back