• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Cadwr said:
I've heard this conversation almost daily for the last few weeks as well:

"No Sir, you are only alotted 1 QDJM at that rank level.  Yes Sir, I appreciate that you have multiple individuals who you believe are worthy of recognition.  Sir, are you aware that there are other honours and awards for which you can nominate those individuals?  Uh-huh... uh-huh.. you don't say...  well Sir, that sounds like a commander's commendation at the least to me, heck, maybe even an MSM.  Would you like me to forward you the forms?"

If nothing else, I remain hopeful that some one somewhere, in the course of going through the exercise and considering whom to nominate for this medal, will be inclined to pursue recognition for those he wishes to nominate, QDJM or not.  If a name comes up as being genuinely "deserving," but is beyond the "quota" - well then write that troop up for recognition appropriate to his or her situation.

Brilliant!  :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
Too bad we have to wait until a significant milestone in a monarch's rein is reached to recognize deserving people with a gong like this. Here's a suggestion to make the decision making easy while incenting the right behaviour: give one to everyone who has been awarded something for distinguished service under fire/on operations (i.e., VC to CEFCOM commendation/MiD/ Bronze star etc), then send the rest back with thanks.

"It is with such baubles that men are led"
Napoleon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Honour

I think your criteria, in and of itself as written above, would actually disqualify them for the QDJM ... as it states that they can not be nominated based upon things for which they have already received official recognition.  :-\

They'd have to meet the other 'bits' and have other stuff to back up the nomination in addition to the other award they've received. Along with all the others who are being nominated for being worthy of recognition (even if the others' worthiness stems from a non-war related action that certainly should not make them "unworthy" of the QDJM).

avgpjon said:
11000 (18.3%) for CF.

Actually it's about 10% of the CF - the entire CF (i.e. Regular, Primary Reserve, CIC and Rangers), which comes to about 110,000 members.

However, in answer to the actual question, there are a total of 60,000 QDJMs to be awarded and the 11,000 going to the CF are included in that total.  This is the largest single allocation to any one group.

Pusser said:
Actually it's about 10% of the CF - the entire CF (i.e. Regular, Primary Reserve, CIC and Rangers), which comes to about 110,000 members.

However, in answer to the actual question, there are a total of 60,000 QDJMs to be awarded and the 11,000 going to the CF are included in that total.  This is the largest single allocation to any one group, notwithstanding the allocation to 100% of Parliament.

Fixed that for you.  ;)

ArmyVern said:
Fixed that for you.  ;)

Right you are.  I didn't think about the allocation to parliamentarians (30 each) as being one allocation, but a rather a lot of little ones.

No doubt there will be a few QSJM, QGJM, QDJM hat-trick guys out there...  ;)

Good2Golf said:
No doubt there will be a few QSJM, QGJM, QDJM hat-trick guys out there...  ;)

And the old standby overtime bonus of the 125 (making up 4 of the 5 they will have on their chests)!!  >:D

ArmyVern said:
And the old standby overtime bonus of the 125 (making up 4 of the 5 they will have on their chests)!!  >:D

...oh, we'll get to that in five years...the Canada 125 & 150 crowd...  ;D

JMesh said:
Not quite. Army Cadet League of Canada Volunteer Service Medal, awarded by the Army Cadet League of Canada to people who volunteer for a minimum of 5 years with the army cadet program. Nevertheless, definitely shouldn't be there.

Then technically the CD shouldn't be there either. The wearer "earned" both as opposed to ordered the rest of his rack online.  8)

Although I do see your point.

Danjanou said:
Then technically the CD shouldn't be there either. The wearer "earned" both as opposed to ordered the rest of his rack online.  8)

Although I do see your point.

Actually, the CD is the ONLY one that should be there as it is the only one that is part of the Canadian Honours System and thus, the only one that should be worn on the left.  "Popcorn" medals go on the right.

So we finished the selection of nominations, filled out the forms and will be sending them off tomorrow. I have an inkling of the amount of staff work throughout the CF that went into making sure the selection process was "fair". But you have to wonder about the cost in man hrs and staffing and if it would have been much cheaper and a lot less staffing to stamp out the amount of medals required for everyone with 3 or more years of service.

Never thought I'd say this.
I realize the LOL factor in this medal but seeing the pride in the eyes of young pirvates and corporals who've been nominated for this medal by their peers and immediate supervisors for actual jobs well done really has me checking my criticism of this- at least in front of them.

This medal has the potential to be a good thing if all involved protect the integrity of the process (ie. follow the CANFORGEN).

I could only nominate one of my guys, I had two that were worthy of it.  I would have preferred to see them both be sent forward, of course the one may never see it at the end of the process. 

As others have said, if the integrity of the meriting process is maintained, then this medal should, for the most part, not be looked at as a "joke / last man standing / me and my best friends" that other commemorative medals have been in the past.

Grimaldus, excellent point about the young troops' perspective, i.e. not having knowledge of the baggage associated with previous such medals.  :nod:

Regards
G2G

A summary of info here (via Google Docs) re:  what's been budgeted and what contracts have been awarded so far dealing with the celebrations from a written response to a question in the House of Commons - a few highlights to tease:
  • Dept of Cdn Heritage has allocated "up to $7.5M" for the celebrations;  $2M for "community based celebrations"; $1.8M for "awareness initiatives; and $3.7 for the medals program
  • Top 3 provinces being allocated $ for community celebrations:  Ontario (~$334K), PEI (~$169K) and Saskatchewan (~$130K)
  • Among the contracts awarded to date:  $16,555 for "Crown of Maples";  $94,675.50 for printing of 100,000 Crown of Maples and initial distribution to LG's and Commissioners; $52,650 for 300K Diamond Jubilee Lapel Pins

milnews.ca said:
A summary of info here (via Google Docs) re:  what's been budgeted and what contracts have been awarded so far dealing with the celebrations from a written response to a question in the House of Commons - a few highlights to tease:
  • Dept of Cdn Heritage has allocated "up to $7.5M" for the celebrations;  $2M for "community based celebrations"; $1.8M for "awareness initiatives; and $3.7 for the medals program
  • Top 3 provinces being allocated $ for community celebrations:  Ontario (~$334K), PEI (~$169K) and Saskatchewan (~$130K)
  • Among the contracts awarded to date:  $16,555 for "Crown of Maples";  $94,675.50 for printing of 100,000 Crown of Maples and initial distribution to LG's and Commissioners; $52,650 for 300K Diamond Jubilee Lapel Pins
Here's what Postmedia News is focusing on:
The Conservative government has set aside more than $100,000 for paper flags and lapel pins for celebrations to mark the sixth decade of Queen Elizabeth’s reign.

The costing was tabled by Heritage Minister James Moore in response to a written question by NDP MP Tyrone Benskin.

Details of various contracts were also included in the document, among them: $74,180 for 682,000 paper flags to be sent to the public, provinces and territories; $52,650 for 300,000 lapel pins; and $28,883.20 on posters.

The government also plans to spend $94,675.50 to print Crown of Maples — a government publication that “makes information on the Crown in Canada available to Canadians in an interesting and educational format,” according to the Canadian Heritage website.

Overall, Canadian Heritage expects to spend $7.5 million dollars from the department’s budget for celebrations and commemorations. Of the funds, $2 million will go toward community celebrations, $1.8 million for “awareness initiatives” and $3.7 million for the diamond jubilee medals program.

Of the $2 million for regional celebrations in the 13 provinces and territories, Ontario will receive the bulk of the funds ($333,947). Prince Edward Island ($169,150), British Columbia ($156,525), Saskatchewan ($129,630) and Nova Scotia ($92,205) round out the Top 5. The Yukon will receive the least amount of money at $10,000.

The $2 million in funding also includes $800,000 handed out to national organizations that are not represented by the regional events ....

In the past week I saw an individual wearing the silver QDJM pin on his uniform.  Is this actually authorized, or better yet is there anything written about it?

It's a diamond shaped pin with the Queen's emblem on it. I think politicians have been handing them out for various reasons.

Back