• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Pook said:
What if....jus' suppose ..... the conclusion of the commission is that most of the losses occurred at native hands.  What is the prescribed course of action for the Government of Canada?  Intervene?  Not intervene?

Hah, you miss the point, the commission is not required to fix anything, place the blame, etc, etc. It's purpose is to be seen as doing "something" At which point it passes it's finding to the government, who will "study it" and then careful put it beside all the other studies on the issue.

Colin P said:
Hah, you miss the point, the commission is not required to fix anything, place the blame, etc, etc. It's purpose is to be seen as doing "something" At which point it passes it's finding to the government, who will "study it" and then careful put it beside all the other studies on the issue.

Yes, Sir Humphrey.  :nod:

Some changes in Ministry names ....
.... The names of several departments are being changed as follows:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada;
    Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada to Global Affairs Canada;
    Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada to Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada;
    Industry Canada to Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada;
    Public Works and Government Services Canada to Public Services and Procurement Canada; and
    Environment Canada to Environment and Climate Change Canada ....
Also attached in case link doesn't work - also, here's a "who's Minister in case the Minister's not able to be Minister" list.  Back-ups for Def Min Sajjan, for example, are Ralph Goodale and John McCallum.

milnews.ca said:
Some changes in Ministry names ....Also attached in case link doesn't work - also, here's a "who's Minister in case the Minister's not able to be Minister" list.  Back-ups for Def Min Sajjan, for example, are Ralph Goodale and John McCallum.
Where's the name change of Department of National Defence to Peacekeeping and Disaster Response Canada?  I demand that we be treated to a new moniker as well, seeing as how we'll not be treated to a better budget.

cavalryman said:
Where's the name change of Department of National Defence to Peacekeeping and Disaster Response Canada?  I demand that we be treated to a new moniker as well, seeing as how we'll not be treated to a better budget.

But that would entail more wasteful paperwork and sign changing akin to all the rank insignia changes.  ;)

Chris Pook said:
Nope.

No biases at all.

The way they (PS staff) were reacting was the "feel" on the Hill when I was working there on Thursday.  The vibe in town is much different and happier than it was under the previous administration.  To be fair, it is the honeymoon phase, and the blushing bride is over the moon in love with their new groom.  It will head to divorce court one day, but that is for another day.

cavalryman said:
Not to mention no more Commons committee on defence ....

Jed said:
But that would entail more wasteful paperwork and sign changing akin to all the rank insignia changes.  ;)

Whole new opportunity for the Buttons and Bows Brigade.  They can adopt the "Doves of Peace" system.  Not a Crown in sight.
I am sure it would have gone down well with "Pere".

f035967ebedf735dd986b3894a668ee3.jpg

milnews.ca said:

IMHO, they replaced the Defence committee mandate with two more appropriate ones - domestic and global security & readiness

Old Defence Committee mandate was "to review all matters pertaining to the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces. It may examine and report on matters referred to it by the House of Commons or it may undertake studies on its own initiative. Generally it examines relevant legislation, the activities and expenditures of the department, and the effectiveness of the department’s policies and programs."

Cabinet Committee on Canada in the World and Public Security
- Considers issues concerning Canada’s engagement with and participation in the
international community, the promotion of Canadian interests and values abroad, the
management of bilateral and multilateral relations, and international assistance.
Responsible for issues related to domestic and global security

Cabinet Committee on Intelligence and Emergency Management
- Meets as required to consider intelligence reports and priorities and to coordinate and
manage responses to public emergencies and national security incidents. Regularly
reviews the state of Canadian readiness.

Prime Minister Trudeau cannot hope to satisfy everyone ... in an opinion piece in the Globe and Mail Cecil Foster, a Canadian author and a professor at the State University of New York at Buffalo, complains that in what is, I believe, the most diverse cabinet in Canadian history,  "despite there being at least six Liberal caucus members with Caribbean and African immigrant backgrounds. Once again, blacks and blackness are invisible."

Expect to hear this sort of thing ~ not "faces" at the cabinet table, necessarily, but "my special interest is not being served" more and more as the immediate joy of the election fades.

I guess that's what happens when you claim diversity and pander to special interest, you're always going to miss someone and it looks like an even bigger slight than if it was merit based selection.

The Liberals might be sliding, early, into their bad old ways ... into Premier Wynne's ways, if Davis Akin is correct in this post:

Twice in as many weeks, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has held unannounced, closed-to-the-press meetings with federally registered lobby groups. On Oct. 29, it was Universities Canada and today, it was a meeting of the
    Canadian Labour Congress. Colleagues at Reuters managed to get a tape of Trudeau's commits to the CLC and it sounds like he was discussing some issues of substantial public importance. But the Trudeau PMO neither
    told press he was doing this nor invited the press to report on his comments.

Reuters report ... it certainly is a matter of considerable public import and interest/

Wasn't failing to include the press one of Mr Harper's greatest sins?  >:D

E.R. Campbell said:
The Liberals might be sliding, early, into their bad old ways ... into Premier Wynne's ways, if Davis Akin is correct in this post:

Twice in as many weeks, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has held unannounced, closed-to-the-press meetings with federally registered lobby groups. On Oct. 29, it was Universities Canada and today, it was a meeting of the
    Canadian Labour Congress. Colleagues at Reuters managed to get a tape of Trudeau's commits to the CLC and it sounds like he was discussing some issues of substantial public importance. But the Trudeau PMO neither
    told press he was doing this nor invited the press to report on his comments.

Reuters report ... it certainly is a matter of considerable public import and interest/

Perhaps we'll get to see how many rubes self-identify quite early in this new mandate  >:D
Hope and change anyone?

I'm sure the ardent Liberal drum beaters amongst our membership will be sure to bleat and baaa that we shouldn't worry ourselves about the actions of the anointed ones.

I'm happy to hear that details of the sale of the CWB will at least be made public. Definitely some fishy stuff here, and for a government seemingly bent on privatization to sell off Canadian assets to a business that is essentially representing the Saudi government, well I'm hoping heads will roll to say the least.

http://www.manitobacooperator.ca/news-opinion/news/cwb-sale-to-be-scrutinized-by-new-liberal-government/

“It appears to have been a gift. But until we have a chance to view the internal information it’s just impossible to fully assess what has gone on here. You can imagine why some farmers are curious.”

In July G3 Global Grain Group, a joint venture of Bunge and state-owned Saudi Agricultural Livestock Investment Company (SALIC), ostensibly bought CWB for $250.5 million. However, the newly formed company kept the money instead of paying the Canadian government, which owned CWB. While the transaction raised eyebrows among some Canadian grain company executives and was criticized by several farm groups, Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz defended it saying it made for a stronger new company.

- mod edit to fix link -

Kilo_302 said:
I'm happy to hear that details of the sale of the CWB will at least be made public. Definitely some fishy stuff here, and for a government seemingly bent on privatization to sell off Canadian assets to a business that is essentially representing the Saudi government, well I'm hoping heads will roll to say the least.

[/http://www.manitobacooperator.ca/...al-government/url] [/quote] Bleat and baaah!

E.R. Campbell said:
Prime Minister Trudeau cannot hope to satisfy everyone ... in an opinion piece in the Globe and Mail Cecil Foster, a Canadian author and a professor at the State University of New York at Buffalo, complains that in what is, I believe, the most diverse cabinet in Canadian history,  "despite there being at least six Liberal caucus members with Caribbean and African immigrant backgrounds. Once again, blacks and blackness are invisible."

Expect to hear this sort of thing ~ not "faces" at the cabinet table, necessarily, but "my special interest is not being served" more and more as the immediate joy of the election fades.

And here is more sniping, this time from Lysiane Gagnon in the Globe and Mail.

Personally I am not bothered by Prime Minister Trudeau's cabinet making exercise; sure some are we bit light on quality and there is more than just a whiff of tokenism but it is a perfectly acceptable group, given what was available ...

I expect a shuffle in a year or so, perhaps even sooner, if someone screws up. Potential trouble spots are:

1. Keeping all the economic problems ~ running deficits will be easy, we're sliding back towards recession again, spending on shiny new things will be harder;

2. Refugees will, I am about 95% certain, go wrong, likely a bit wrong, quite possibly horribly wrong. I doubt that we, good, tolerant Canadians, are all that much different from the Europeans; and

3. Pipeline promises and local (including First Nations) NIMBYism don't mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back