• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
Are any of you planning on going Reg?...if not you may want to rethink going on jump. You can‘t keep current as a reservist...jumps are allocated to Reg jumpers first, then mo.

Remember, just because you want the course doesn‘t mean you‘ll pass. Knew one guy on J stage broke his leg on final jump...FAIL.

Something to think about...not trying to discourage anyone.

Regards

I don‘t think it‘s about keeping current, Franko. For the Army Cadets, it is their brass ring.

Air Cadets have the flight scholarships, Sea Cadets their tall ships... Army Cadets get some great exchanges, and Para.

Caz, I think Franko was talking about "hopefully airborne soon" the whole CIC 2LT thing. Anyway, I agree with most things being said on this topic, Caz, it is a prized course much the same as the flying Scholarships.
Many people on here are talking about the same thing...
1. Ref the CIC officer that supposidly did the jump course without the PT and assorted crap. Well, a couple of years ago the cadets who did the crse (and they did the crse) Did J-Stage with a Civy A/C because I believe the hercs were weathered out. That is where that situation could have come from.
2. I think that we can all agree that the Jump course is a very demanding crse. But to different people it means different things. For the 17 year old cadets who complete the crse it is the pinicle of thier cadet careers, they have met the standards and they are the top in thier element, there is no higher that they could go as cadets. For the Reservist and Regular troops who complete the course it is a triumph, but only a small portion of a career, and although difficult, it is really only a skill set. Like a driver or gunner. For them, the real achivement is serving as a paratrooper.
3. Finally, there was a Para Rescue crse offered to air cadets, I believe briefly in the 70‘s and the badge was still on the books in the mid-80s. Truthfully, I don‘t know what obtaining this badge consisted of.
On a side bar, I know a person who did thier jump crse while in cadets and after joining the regular force was on the SkyHawks team, no military free fall crse.... not real point to that just UFI

Originally posted by Scott937:
[qb]I know a person who did thier jump crse while in cadets and after joining the regular force was on the SkyHawks team, no military free fall crse.... not real point to that just UFI [/qb]
To join the SkyHawks you do not need to have any military parachute experience. This is from there sight.

"¢ Qualified Military Freefall Parachutist or hold an "Aâ ? certificate issued by the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association with a minimum of 50 freefall jumps;

Trap....
You may not NEED it....
But it will give you an edge to get in.

Jumpers are a close knit group, they know they can depend(most of the time) on the guy beside them. Think they are going to let in some yahoo who didn‘t do a jump course over someone who has?

I don‘t think so.

Regards

Thisi s not going to battle, this is the SkyHawks. Go on ther sight.

http://www.army.dnd.ca/skyhawks/main_e.asp

You will see that almost half are reservists and that there are Air Force members. And I know a reservist who was a SkyHawks and was accepted and did not have his wings, but once finished he did and received his silver leaf.

And once his callout was done was he seen at the local Burger King with his wings on? :D

‘nuff said

Regards

:salute:

Hey...This sounds very familiar to me. I came across an air cadet in trenton this summer who said that he did his jump course...in Pet (?!?). I don‘t know what he was trying to pull, but he took the wings off soon after. Yes, it is a demanding course, and us guys who finished it-though we aren‘t reg force or have anything to do with the combat side of things-have tons of respect for the guys who do, and just to be able to wear something on our tunics representing our connection to other "real" jumpers is an honour.

There are no jump courses run in Pet. He was full of poo.

Regards

Wait a sec....Ah yes! McBear‘s an 8th Hussar! Good to see you here! I used to belong to 3006 Dieppe 8CH way back in the ‘80s. Had a blast in that corps. Capt Comeau(Larry) still there? Probably not. I was posted out in ‘94. He‘s probably long gone by now.

Is RSM Pete Vaneinderstein still supporting the Hussar cadet Regiment or what?

Well, its a small world, eh? Larry‘s still there as CO; his daughter just aged out. Peter was my trgO till last year - moved back to the island ( personal reasons...email me on that one). he just retired after 36 years. He is now known as Ocdt VanIderstine. His son‘s a Cpl with channel 8 ( 8CH)...you guys get msn there?

Yep...and if you want to get in touch with me I‘m on the DIN...ensure that TFBH comes up next to my name.

I‘m not gonna lie to ya...i haven‘t a clue as to what DIN is. Can i access it? Ill just ad ya on msn....expect an add request from jmcjumper@hotmail.com

OK...i couldnt find your email...but back to the whole para thing. Just to keep it simple: as with the reg force, one member‘s opinion isn‘t that of everybody else. In this situation, Matt doesnt represent Chris and I‘s opinions.

Check your emails will ya McBear

Originally posted by Franko:
[qb] And once his callout was done was he seen at the local Burger King with his wings on? [/qb]
As a paratrooper I hold a high repsect for the Sky
Hawks, I do not know why you would say that, I am not a SkyHawk but I think they deserve a little respect, dont you?

Look at their schedule, see how many free fall jumps they do on a year. Also there is still a tough selection process.

Im thinking Franko meant that a jumper is just SO good, that he/she wouldn‘t have to work at said restaurant :D . I have also come across a CIC officer with silver ( isn‘t it white???) leaf from serving with the sky hawks.

Originally posted by McBear:
[qb] I have also come across a CIC officer with silver ( isn‘t it white???) leaf from serving with the sky hawks. [/qb]
When the Airborne Regiment came into existence 1968 to 1995. In order to honor the men who served with the CAR, you would be awarded a silver leaf that you would pin over the red leaf on your wings. Today they do not offer the silver pin, but do have wings with the "silver" white leaf. So it is correct to call it the white or silver. Mostly it would depend how old you are. The older wings had a yellow or gold leaf.

Ah. I had always been told to call it white. Thanks for the bit of history, trap. :) ...Around when did they start making the dress wings with the white/silver leaf?

Back