• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Osama Bin Laden Dead

Film makers jumping on the bandwagon, with a few interesting twists. I frankly don't think this movie will have the intended effect (the election will revolve around the economy, and the killer line "Are you better off today then you were four years ago?" will be drawn like Excalubar from the stone to smite the Democrats at every level):

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-curious-case-of-the-osama-obama-movie-hollywood-—-but-not-politics-—-as-usual/?singlepage=true

The Curious Case of the Osama-Obama Movie: Hollywood — But Not Politics — As Usual
Pace Ben Smith of Politico, why the proposed Kathryn Bigelow-Mark Boal motion picture on the capture of Bin Laden is a quiet outrage.
August 12, 2011 - 12:01 am - by Lionel Chetwynd

Before alienating a significant portion of my professional colleagues and possibly irritating Sony Pictures (to whom I am currently pitching a project) by explaining why the proposed Kathryn Bigelow-Mark Boal motion picture on the capture of Bin Laden is a quiet outrage, I should no doubt credential my megaphone.

Some films for which I have been responsible include: The Hanoi Hilton, To Heal a Nation, Ike: Countdown to D-day, Heroes of Desert Storm, Kissinger & Nixon, and especially DC 9/11: Time of Crisis. I cull these titles from my sixty odd credits because each dealt with military and/or political subjects that required cooperation at the highest levels, usually a considerable obstacle.

But even more difficult than obtaining that access, my bigger problem was often within the Hollywood community itself who eyed any such project with which I was involved as suspect; as one of the few outspoken conservatives in Hollywood over a period of 30 years I was hardly mainstream and always subjected to extreme rigor by my enablers at studios and networks.

Would that I had been so coddled as Ms. Bigelow and Mr. Boal appear to be; perhaps I fawned over the wrong people.

To be fair to Sony, this proposed Osama capture project is independently financed (by whom, I wonder) and the studio is involved only as the distributor. Also, my knowledge of the enterprise is only what has been reported in the public media, but there is enough in that to easily see the astounding degree to which the Hollywood-Washington liberal access is mutually corrupting, and is disgracing a popular culture that was once a jewel in America’s patrimony, the means by which our message of a free society conquered the world more easily than Roman legions or British soldiers.

In making a docudrama (and I believe I have done more than any other active American filmmaker) there are three critical factors: proximity of production to actual events, access to the actual participants, and release date.  And in each and every one of these elements this proposed project doesn’t merely fail the smell test, it leaves a trail that reeks from the White House to the smart bistros of Beverly Hills.

The most troubling discontinuity from accepted norms has to do with access. As any filmmaker, of any political stripe, can tell you, the Pentagon has an open door policy. They will offer their aid and facilities to any filmmaker with only two provisos: the entire content of the script is submitted and deemed to be generally consistent with the real world military; and, once you accept their support you must agree to their oversight of how you employ their resources.

The second of these is quite legitimate and consistent with case law and the doctrine of “fair use”: once you involve someone in your project you cannot use that involvement in ways they have interdicted — a cousin, if you will, of the Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination.  What is the consequence of breaking your end of the bargain?  You are liable for civil damages.

But the non-litigious Pentagon simply maintains a policy of subsequent non-cooperation with offenders. Everyone knows that, and that’s the deal. Which brings us to the Bigelow-Boal film The Hurt Locker. According to knowledgable sources in the American military, during the filming of The Hurt Locker Ms. Bigelow violated her agreement with the Pentagon, amongst other things using an American military vehicle to enter a Palestinian area to film a demonstration. Scenes were added but kept from the Pentagon, depicting U.S. personnel abusing detainees.

Notwithstanding this, the filmmakers came back for Pentagon help in this new film and were granted two meetings with the under secretary of defense for intelligence, Michael Vickers, a senior political appointee. Of the Obama administration. To be given that level of access to the Pentagon after previous bad faith by the filmmakers is such a departure from current practice one is forced to suspect significant pressure was applied to the Pentagon by its civilian political masters. During the preparation of DC 9-11, which covered the period from 9-11 to the president’s congressional address on 9-20, George W. Bush granted me an extended interview in which he was completely forthcoming and frank about his feelings and actions during that time.

He was so cooperative I solicited his intervention in obtaining similar access for me in three areas that were resisting my requests: Condoleezza Rice, the Pentagon, and Andrew Card. While he was warm and sympathetic, President Bush declined to be of help:

Getting you access to do something is a pretty close relative to asking you not to do something. You know how I feel about censorship. It’s the same thing, Lionel.

After all, he was the president. So I tried putting the screws to Karl Rove. He was not the president and therefore less gentle in explaining to me the slippery slope of ever telling the people in their administration to whom they should speak in these circumstances because the next thing they would be telling them is what to say to Congress. I eventually got the access I wanted  — except the Pentagon, where it was explained to me that some of the areas were so sensitive this was not the time. But, I protested, they knew me, that I had always played by the rules.

I was told one of the rules was that this close to the events I was depicting it was unwise to reveal anything to do with operations or personalities. They did arrange an interview with a member of the press office and that was that. Apparently, the airtight rules that governed the prior administration do not apply here. Which begs the question: Is access being ordained from high offices even if that access flies in the face of established rules?

More troubling is the matter of release date. When depicting a sitting politician nothing is more sensitive than the moment chosen to put the product before the public. Sony has already assigned a release date of October 12 to this unnamed project.  Anyone who works in Hollywood knows how difficult it is to get a hard release date. At this stage of the work they might say it’s for fourth quarter, or “late in the year.” But an actual date? Before a script is written? They must be pretty confident of the quality or have compelling reason to declare themselves this far ahead.

October 12. Just as the election is coming around the home stretch. A motion picture whose launch might well cost $75 million or more in publicity (to say nothing of enraptured stars on talk shows) will tell the story of a president who fearlessly succeeded where his predecessors failed. Aside from the stupidity of claiming the president had any other choice than to take OBL down (we’re told he took 16 hours on that no-brainer, which I expect will be the framing device of the film) the release date makes the claim of a non-partisan, disinterested drama pure fantasy, a beggaring of our common sense.

Again, I have personal witness: 2008 was the 20th anniversary of my film The Hanoi Hilton and Warner Brothers decided to issue an anniversary DVD edition and suggested I approach Senator John McCain for an interview that would be included as the added value. The senator agreed (the film had been universally applauded by the POWs) and an extraordinary conversation between him and me in which he revealed so much of what he felt and learned as a POW was presented with clarity and humanity.

I arranged for a private screening of the anniversary edition for mid-October, only to be told that would not be possible; having seen the interview, the studio felt the release might in some way impact the election and they were therefore embargoing its use until after November 3. While even the New York Times report found this amusingly curious and I was quoted as suggesting Warner’s political delicacy was an attempt “to be the only virgin in the whore house,” I had to grudgingly concede they had made the right choice. To their credit, that studio has never played this kind of game.  So John McCain can’t get a private DVD screening in mid-October but President Obama gets a release date.

Finally, there is the third element: Proximity to events:  The rush to production is curious and telling. It is a well-understood principle that the closer to the real event, the more likely the journalist or filmmaker is to be influenced by momentary zeitgeist. I admit that my television film Miracle on Ice aired on the first anniversary of Team USA’s magnificent victory, winning the hockey gold medal in the 1980 Olympics. But that was hockey.

Besides, the executive producer, Frank von Zerneck, had secured the players’ rights before the Olympics began and their attorney Art Kaminski had established the protocols and provided me with the players’ histories before I sat down to write word one. The current filmmakers claim they’ve been working on this through three administrations. Forgive my skepticism but I’d love to see evidence of one interview of a Bush or Clinton official that was contemporaneous to the matters discussed. And what of the rights to the individual Seals?

There is so much more about this whole affair that is so dispiriting; we who work in the popular culture should remember we are stewards, custodians, who must be ever mindful of the power of what we do to influence events. The higher reaches of Sony, a foreign entity, might be less sensitive to this obligation that comes with the privilege of working in our industry. But those who run the company on a day-to-day basis, up to and including the chairman, know better. It may be good business to take advantage of the willingness of an administration obsessed by re-election to bend rules and use influence in an unseemly way.

But it is very poor citizenship.

Mr. Chetwynd also does the Poliwood show on PJTV with Roger L. Simon.

Lookit who else (allegedly) got a peek at the remaining U.S. chopper bits left behind?
Pakistan allowed Chinese military engineers to photograph and take samples from the top-secret stealth helicopter that US special forces left behind when they killed Osama bin Laden, the Financial Times has learned.

The action is the latest incident to underscore the increasingly complicated relationship and lack of trust between Islamabad and Washington following the raid.

"The US now has information that Pakistan, particularly the ISI, gave access to the Chinese military to the downed helicopter in Abbottabad," said one person in intelligence circles, referring to the Pakistani spy agency. The Chinese engineers were allowed to survey the wreckage and take photographs of it, as well as take samples of the special "stealth" skin that allowed the American team to enter Pakistan undetected by radar, he said ....
Source:  Financial Times, 14 Aug 11

Thucydides, who do you think will portray the incisive President Obama in the movie?

I speculate he will (insist) play himself, and, of course, an Oscar will be added to his trophy case to rest besides the Nobel Prize.

Maybe they can give him the Oscar before they bother making the movie to keep up the standard of the Nobel committee.............

Coming next week to the U.S. History network.....
HISTORY will take viewers inside the dedicated effort to hunt and kill Osama Bin Laden in TARGETING BIN LADEN. This two-hour special event premieres on Tuesday, September 6 at 8pm ET featuring exclusive interviews with President Barack Obama and other senior aides.  The announcement was made today by Nancy Dubuc, President and General Manager, HISTORY.

In addition to President Obama, interviewees include National Security Advisor, Tom Donilon; White House Chief Counter-Terrorism Advisor, John O. Brennan; Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications; former CIA Director, Gen. Michael Vincent Hayden; former CIA Deputy Director of Counter-Terrorism, Philip Mudd;  members of Congress; policy experts and others.

Rigorously researched, TARGETING BIN LADEN will take you inside this critical effort and examine the historical ramifications for President Obama's administration as well as look at the role of the dedicated men and women who worked for many years over several administrations to make this possible. TARGETING BIN LADEN uses historical footage, photographs and dramatic re-enactments to illustrate one of the most important missions in our nation's history.

TARGETING BIN LADEN is produced for HISTORY by Nutopia, producers of History's Emmy®-Award winning AMERICA THE STORY OF US.  Nutopia's CEO Jane Root is executive producer. The special is produced by Phil Craig (producer of six films about America's secret war with Al Qaeda, including the Emmy-nominated docudrama about United Flight 93, The Flight that Fought Back, Attack on the Pentagon and 911 State of Emergency) and directed by Bruce Goodison, who worked with Craig on The Flight That Fought Back. Julian P. Hobbs and Susan Werbe are executive producers for HISTORY ....
History news release, 31 Aug 11 - more from the Associated Press here

Laying out the legal case....
The U.S. will keep targeting al-Qaida anywhere in the world, including in countries unable or unwilling to do it themselves, the top U.S. counterterror official said Friday.

White House counterterror chief John Brennan laid out what could be called the Osama bin Laden raid doctrine, in remarks at Harvard Law School. He says under international law, the U.S. can protect itself with pre-emptive action against suspects the U.S. believes present an imminent threat, wherever they are.

That amounts to a legal defense of the unilateral Navy SEAL raid into Pakistan that killed al-Qaida mastermind bin Laden in May....

“We reserve the right to take unilateral action if or when other governments are unwilling or unable to take the necessary actions themselves,” Brennan said.

Yet Brennan followed that by saying that does not mean the U.S. can use military force “whenever we want, wherever we want. International legal principles, including respect for a state’s sovereignty and the laws of war, impose important constraints on our ability to act unilaterally.” ....
Marine Corps Times, 17 Sept 11

Obama administration fighting hard to keep videos, photos of Osama Bin Laden corpse classified
BY Mike Jaccarino DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER Wednesday, September 28th 2011
Article Link

Five months after killing Osama Bin Laden, the Obama administration is doggedly fighting to keep coveted videos and photos of the archterrorist's corpse classified.

Citing national security concerns, U.S. Justice Department attorneys filed a motion late Monday seeking to dismiss a lawsuit by a conservative watchdog group requesting the images.

They are "wholly exempt from disclosure," according to court documents obtained and reported on by The Associated Press.

Judicial Watch had filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit seeking the imagery, and, in response, the CIA said it had located 52 photographs and video recordings of Bin Laden's body.

Tom Fitton, president of Judicial Watch, fired back that the Obama administration had made a "political decision" in withholding the imagery, according to the AP.

"We shouldn't throw out our transparency laws because complying with them might offend terrorists," Fitton said in a statement. "The historical record of Osama bin Laden's death should be released to the American people as the law requires."

The CIA and Pentagon had earlier denied another Freedom of Information Act request made by the AP for a raft of reports, photographic images and video concerning Bin Laden's death.
More on link

The tinfoil hat part of me really hopes he was taken alive and waterboarded for the past 3 months. A guy can dream right?

Chuck Pfarrer, a former SEAL commander, claims to have pieced together the true story of the May mission in conversations in which the troops "told me what they saw, what they thought, and what they felt".

In 'Seal Target Geronimo', a copy of which was obtained by The Daily Telegraph, Pfarrer also gives a detailed account of the May 1 raid that contradicts the official story told by US officials.

Rather than moving up through the property and discovering the al-Qaeda chief after a prolonged firefight, SEALs landed on the roof, burst in through the third floor and killed him within 90 seconds, he claims ....
The Daily Telegraph, 4 Nov 11

Shared with the usual
Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/31/9-11-children-colouring-book-muslims?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038
A colouring book about the events of 9/11, complete with pictures of the burning twin towers and the execution of a cowering Osama bin Laden for children to fill in, has provoked outrage among American Muslims.

We Shall Never Forget 9/11: The Kids' Book of Freedom has just been released by the Missouri-based publisher Really Big Coloring Books, which says it is "designed to be a tool that parents can use to help teach children about the facts surrounding 9/11". Showing scenes from 9/11 for children to colour in and telling the story of the attacks and the subsequent hunt for Osama bin Laden, "the book was created with honesty, integrity, reverence, respect and does not shy away from the truth", according to its publisher, which says that it has sold out of its first print run of 10,000 copies.

One page of the $6.99 book, which has been given a PG rating, shows Bin Laden hiding behind a hijab-wearing woman as he is shot by a Navy SEAL. "Being the elusive character that he was, and after hiding out with his terrorist buddies in Pakistan and Afghanistan, American soldiers finally locate the terrorist leader Osama bin Laden," runs the text accompanying the picture. "Children, the truth is, these terrorist acts were done by freedom-hating radical Islamic Muslim extremists. These crazy people hate the American way of life because we are FREE and our society is FREE."

The Council on American-Islamic Relations has condemned the book as "disgusting", saying that it characterises all Muslims as linked to extremism, terrorism and radicalism, which could lead children reading the book to believe that all Muslims are responsible for 9/11, and that followers of the Islamic faith are their enemies.

Ibrahim Hooper, communications director for the organisation, told the Toronto Star that "America is full of these individuals and groups seeking to demonise Islam and marginalise Muslims and it's just a fact of life in the post-9/11 era". Nonetheless, he expressed his hope that "parents would recognise the agenda behind this book and not expose their children to intolerance or religious hatred".

Publisher Wayne Bell told American television that the book does not portray Muslims "in a negative light at all. That is incorrect. This is about 19 terrorist hijackers that came over here under the leadership of a devil worshipper, Osama bin Laden, to murder our people," Bell said. "He [Dawud Walid, executive director of CAIR] calls the book disgusting ... but he should call the people in the book, the 19 terrorists, Osama bin Laden, he should call him disgusting. This is history. It is absolutely factual."

But Walid said that "given the fact that this is a very emotional and sensitive topic and that there were Muslims who were victims in 9/11 [and] who were first responders, we think it would have been more responsible if the language would not have been such that every time Muslim was used it's radical, extremist, terrorist ... All these characters are painted to the mind of a young person that perhaps all Muslims may be somewhat responsible for 9/11 or that Muslims are an enemy."

Really Big Coloring Books, which also published a colouring book teaching children about the Tea Party last year, has said that it will donate a portion of its proceeds from sales of the book to Bridges for Peace, "a Jerusalem-based, Bible-believing Christian organisation supporting Israel and building relationships between Christians and Jews worldwide through education and practical deeds expressing God's love and mercy".
It doesn't help that Osama kinda looks like Santa here.  Yes, kids have to learn, but from a colouring book?

EDIT: Forgot link and disclaimer.

FlyingDutchman said:
Yes, kids have to learn, but from a colouring book?
Why not?  They did in World War Two, even learning how to draw "The Fuhrer"
05_28_07_armstrong2.jpg

As posted before, a couple of movies are in production, including the movie slated for release just before the presidential election. ( Obama "staring" as himself and accepting an Oscar in  the movie credits).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/11/06/new-book-details-seals-raid-that-killed-osama-bin-laden.html

Myths of the Bin Laden Raid

Pfarrer captures the SEALs’ resentment of the president, whom they see as publicity-seeking.

The Daily Beast - Nov 6, 2011

There was no running gunfight. And the SEALs did not have a kill order. Richard Miniter on the new book detailing the night al Qaeda’s chief died—and the headaches it could cause Obama.

Osama bin Laden did not hear the SEALs’ stealthy helicopter until it hovered over the roof of his three-story home and the chopper’s spinning blades smashed his plastic patio chairs against his bedroom window.

In less than 10 seconds, the SEALs had jumped onto the roof, crawled across the rain-stained tiles, and descended onto bin Laden’s patio. The bearded terror leader sleepily opened his bedroom door and then, spotting two armed men with night-vision gear coming down the hall toward him, quickly slammed it.

They were right behind him.

As the SEALs forced open the bedroom door, they heard bin Laden’s youngest wife screaming in Arabic while raising a blanket to block their view. Behind the rising blanket, they saw bin Laden scrambling for an AKSU machine pistol.

As she tried to shield him, bin Laden shoved his wife into the line of fire. It was the last thing he did.

The first round went into the mattress behind bin Laden. The other three rounds found their mark as the two SEALs fired as one.

Bin Laden’s pistol now hangs on the wall of SEAL Team Six’s Virginia base, beside the photos of comrades killed in action.

These are the kinds of inside details that emerge from Chuck Pfarrer’s new book SEAL Target Geronimo.

Pfarrer certainly had access. A SEAL Team Six assault-element commander in the 1980s, he is known inside the intelligence community for his well-regarded first book, Warrior Soul, and inside Hollywood for writing and producing movies including Navy SEALs, Hard Target, and Virus. He clearly had detailed conversations with senior officers in the SEALs’ chain of command (especially Adm. William McRaven and then–SEAL Team Six commander Scott Kerr) and understands the vocabulary and the culture very well.

But some details in his book could complicate the 2012 presidential race. Pfarrer reports that the White House overruled the Navy plan to have two F-18 Hornets provide air support for SEALs helicopters, which would have been easily shot down if found by Pakistan’s Air Force. Also scrubbed were the latest-generation stealth helicopters, known as “ghost hawks.” The SEALs would have to make do with the older Stealth Hawks, which had mechanical problems. Ultimately, one crash-landed due to faulty electronics and had to be demolished on the site. Each of these decisions—to deny fighter support and to use older helicopters—may have been sound. Putting fighters in Pakistani airspace or allowing the Pakistanis to see the latest technology might have complicated relations between America and its Janus-faced ally, Pakistan. Republicans may have been reluctant to attack the president over an achievement that even Dick Cheney applauded. Still, Pfarrer's findings could fuel critics of the president who think he was quick to take personal credit and play politics with the SEALs' successful mission.

Obama may also have trouble explaining why he publicly announced bin Laden’s death just hours after it occurred. The SEALs captured 12 garbage bags worth of notebooks, hard drives, satellite phones, and other digital devices. The data could have been used to launch surprise raids on all the senior members of the al Qaeda network, while the leaders turned on each other and wondered who the traitor was. For the SEALs and other special operators I’ve spoken with, that was the natural next move. Al Qaeda could have been rolled up in six months. Pfarrer captures the SEALs’ resentment of the president, whom they see as publicity-seeking. He ignores the White House’s concerns: the nation had waited almost 10 years for bin Laden to be brought to justice, and that news might have leaked.

Pfarrer also does his best to poke the CIA in the eye. He points out that the agency insisted on having one of its officers in on the raid. While we are repeatedly told that the CIA man had little experience “fast-roping” down for helicopters and doesn’t have the training that the SEALs do (who does?), only in an aside are we informed that he was the only one who could speak Arabic and other local languages. He was the only man who could interview the prisoners or quiet the women and children in the compound. Also, the CIA’s role in locating bin Laden is dismissed in a throwaway paragraph. That’s unfair. The CIA took a few clues from the interrogation of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the operational planner of the 9/11 attacks, and located bin Laden’s trusted courier, Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti. Then the agency persuaded a colonel in Pakistan’s feared intelligence agency, the ISI, to provide key documents, including the plans for bin Laden’s Abbottabad compound. CIA officers rented apartments and surveilled the bin Laden compound for months, until they could persuade their superiors to deploy satellites. And so on. The CIA’s role in the operation remains an exciting, but untold, story.

SEAL Target Geronimo explodes a number of media myths about the raid to kill bin Laden.

It was not a “kill mission” from the start. The SEALs had no explicit orders to kill the archterrorist and would have captured him if possible.

There was no “45-minute” running gun battle. The SEAL team fired only 12 bullets, and the whole operation lasted only 38 minutes.

The most provocative part of the book is pure speculation: by killing bin Laden, did the SEALs accidentally do Zawahiri’s dirty work? Ayman al-Zawahiri is al Qaeda’s No. 2 and wanted to be No. 1. Maybe Zawahiri used couriers he knew were known to America’s spies, hoping they would find bin Laden and dispatch him. Also, Zawahiri, a physician, never apparently treated bin Laden for Addison’s disease, a condition that was suggested by bin Laden’s autopsy results aboard the USS Carl Vinson. So maybe bin Laden was set up by his deputy. As the British Foreign Office used to famously say: “Interesting, if true.”

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/11/06/seals-killed-usama-bin-laden-within-minutes-new-book-reveals/

FOX News -  November 06, 2011

SEALs Killed Usama Bin Laden Within Minutes, New Book Reveals

Excerpt: Pfarrer’s book, according to the Post, also reveals that the SEALs were angry with President Obama for announcing bin Laden’s death on TV just hours after they completed the mission on May 1.

Audio Book Excerpt: 'SEAL Target Geronimo':  http://video.foxnews.com/v/1263012430001/audio-book-excerpt-seal-target-geronimo

The latest from SOCOM, via AP - "Lies!  All Lies!"
The U.S. Special Operations Command is calling a former Navy SEAL's book bogus over its claims to describe the "real" version of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

"It's just not true," U.S. Special Operations Command spokesman Col. Tim Nye said. "It's not how it happened."

Laden with conspiracy theories and attacks on the Obama White House, Chuck Pfarrer's "SEAL Target Geronimo" claims an alternative version of the raid in which the SEAL team shot bin Laden within 90 seconds of arriving at the Pakistan compound where the al-Qaida mastermind was holed up.

Pfarrer claims the White House issued a fictional and damaging account of the raid that made the SEALs looks inept. He says President Barack Obama's speedy acknowledgement of the raid was a craven political move that rendered much of the intelligence gathered on the raid useless.

Pfarrer's account broke into Amazon's top 20 book sales list last week, and Pfarrer has appeared on Fox News, CNN and in other venues to promote it ....

More on the He said/she said book thing:

http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/16/former-seal-stands-by-account-of-bin-laden-raid-says-administration-out-to-get-him-2/?print=1

Former SEAL stands by account of bin Laden raid, says administration out to get him
2:20 PM 11/16/2011
ADVERTISEMENT

In a rare on-the-record denial, U.S. Special Operations Command has come forward to dispute the story told in a controversial new book exploring how al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden met his end at the hands of U.S. Navy SEALS.

“It’s just not true,” said Col. Tim Nye, U.S. Special Operations Command spokesman of the account told in Chuck Pfarrer’s new book “SEAL Target Geronimo.”

“It’s not how it happened.”

Pfarrer, a former Navy SEAL himself, says the Obama administration has a political interest in sticking to its guns, and that he has staked his career on the facts in his book.

“I think it’s very important that the administration itself push back on this. They have never really come out with a complete story,” said Pfarrer, in an exclusive interview with The Daily Caller. “The story they did come out with was a series of factoids: a 45-minute firefight, the deliberate wounding of a woman, a ground–up assault, trying to explain how a helicopter landed on the wrong side of a 20-foot wall and a 10-foot steel gate.”

Pfarrer, whose tale rejects each of those claims, says that the administration’s story — told most comprehensively by The New Yorker — was borne of haphazard political expedience.

“I’m afraid it’s a bit embarrassing for them. Almost everything that was released about the mission, aside from what the president said, was incorrect,” claims Pfarrer. “They had to reel in everything they said. They got tired of correcting themselves, and I think the final method of damage control was simply to freeze the story, stop the narrative where they left it.”

“I think the military might find itself coerced into trying to defend the administration’s version of events,” he warned.

“I wrote this book with eyewitness accounts and the best information available,” said Pfarrer, who maintains that he spoke with multiple special-forces operators directly involved in the bin Laden mission.

For the military’s part, in the days surrounding SEAL Target Geronimo’s news-dominating release, each member of SEAL Team Six was questioned about whether they had spoken with Pfarrer. While each operator reportedly denied any exchange with the author, it does leave open the question of why the military thought it important to ask at all if his facts were wrong.

Col. Nye claims there will be no further investigation on the part of Special Operations Command.

In an earlier interview with TheDC, Pfarrer predicted that the Obama administration would speak out against his account.

“This is something I always expected,” said Pfarrer. “When the administration’s version of events started coming apart, principally with the helicopter crashing on insertion and then another one diverting outside the target, the story just didn’t hold pace.”

“I realized there would be heat for this,” he added, “but I felt that it was vital to set the historical record straight and to do these guys the honor they deserve for this very well-run mission.”

Pfarrer claims he joined many other journalists and storytellers who sought information directly from the White House in the weeks immediately following bin Laden’s death. The administration came under intense scrutiny then for extending informational access to a Hollywood movie studio working on a movie about bin Laden’s takedown — a film that would debut in advance of the November 2012 election.

At the time, White House spokesman Jay Carney brushed off concerns raised by reporters that the administration was selectively doling out information for political reasons.

“When people, including you in this room,” said Carney, “are working on articles, books, documentaries or movies that involve the president, ask to speak to administration officials, we do our best to accommodate them to make sure that facts are correct. That is hardly a novel approach to the media.”

“I twice asked the White House for help working on this book,” said Pfarrer. “Both times they told me, ‘good luck’ while they were engaging with people who were helping with fundraisers,” he explained, referring to the movie studio that received special access.

Pfarrer says multiple firsthand sources he used for his book have contacted him since the administration began pushing back on his claims.

“I’ve gotten messages back to me saying, ‘keep the faith,’” said Pfarrer. “When I was writing this book, my sources told me, ‘you’re gonna get clobbered’ and I absolutely expected it.”

And Pfarrer thinks the Obama administration’s effort to “clobber” him is well underway.

“The administration has pushed back absolutely as hard as they can, in every position they can to question my credibility, question my service record, which I think is a bit despicable,” he explained.

“I have never had my credibility questioned,” insisted Pfarrer. “In fact, the previous book I wrote about my experience in SEAL Team is on the Navy recruiting site.”

“It’s kind of the last desperate arrow they can shoot at me.”

Pfarrer’s detractors have even moved “to out my registered government company,” he said, by publicly identifying Acme Ballistics Incorporated, which specializes in “counter terrorism mission training” according to its website.

Pfarrer said the effort to tarnish his credibility is “necessary” for a White House interested in “protecting and cherishing the New Yorker article.”

“They’ve attacked me on every single level that they can,” he told TheDC.

He believes history, and a persistent American curiosity with the night Osama bin Laden was killed, will ultimately bear out the facts.

“I encourage people to file Freedom of Information requests,” said Pfarrer. “Let’s get the timeline of the operation out in the public and I won’t have to rewrite my book when these facts come out.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/16/former-seal-stands-by-account-of-bin-laden-raid-says-administration-out-to-get-him-2/#ixzz1dyC2d6Vh

Osama bin Laden plotted to assassinate Obama, Petraeus, documents show
By Christi Parsons, MCT March 16, 2012
Article Link

WASHINGTON — Osama bin Laden in his final days schemed over an effort to kill President Barack Obama as well as other top U.S. officials, documents recovered from his compound show.

A senior administration official confirmed the existence of a bin Laden proposal to assassinate Obama and Gen. David Petraeus, first reported Friday by Washington Post columnist David Ignatius. The administration official said the documents show that bin Laden spent much of his time brooding and offering guidance that went unheeded and that he was extremely concerned with improving al-Qaida's public image, going so far as to consider changing the group's name.

Senior leaders of al-Qaida believed the group's image had been seriously damaged because of its attacks against other Muslims, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.
More on link

Pentagon probing possible leak of bin Laden raid details
Article Link
By Ken Dilanian, Tribune Washington Bureau January 5, 2012

WASHINGTON - Did the Obama administration release classified information to Hollywood notables for a film about the operation that killed Osama bin Laden, Sony Pictures movie slated for release in the heat of this fall's election campaign?

That's a question Rep. Peter T. King, R-N.Y., wants answered. And in response, the Pentagon's inspector general has launched an investigation, King disclosed Thursday.

"We plan to begin subject investigation immediately," Patricia A. Brannin, deputy inspector general for intelligence and special program assessments, wrote in a memo that King emailed to reporters.

At issue is whether the filmmakers - director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal, who both won Oscars for their 2009 Iraq war movie "The Hurt Locker" - were given access to classified information about a mission that remains shrouded in secrecy. While newspapers and magazines have published detailed accounts about the raid, much remains unknown to all but a few.

The film is scheduled to arrive in theaters in October, amid President Obama's re-election battle. The bin Laden raid is widely viewed as a political plus for Obama, who sent U.S. Navy SEALs to kill the Qaida leader at a compound in Pakistan even though the CIA could not say with certainty he was there.
More on link

Ornate, but not lavish: Another bin Laden home located in Pakistan

The emerging details of Osama bin Laden's life on the run raise fresh questions over how the Al Qaeda chief was able to evade detection for years in Pakistan.

By Kathy Gannon, Associated Press / April 1, 2012
Article Link

Haripur, Pakistan

It's an ornate but not lavish two-story house tucked away at the end of a mud clogged street. This is where Pakistan's intelligence agency believes Osama bin Laden lived for nearly a year until he moved into the villa in which he was eventually killed.

The residence in the frontier town of Haripur was one of five safe houses used by the slain Al Qaeda leader while on the run in Pakistan according to information revealed by his youngest wife, who has been detained.

Retired Pakistani Brig. Shaukat Qadir, who has spent the last eight months tracking bin Laden's movements, told The Associated Press that he was taken to the Haripur house last November by intelligence agents who located it from a description they got from Amal Ahmed Abdel-Fatah al-Sada.

Al-Sada, a 30-year-old Yemeni, has been in Pakistani custody since May 2 when US Navy SEALs overran the Abbottabad compound, killing bin Laden and four other people inside. Since then, Pakistan's intelligence agency, known as the ISI, has been trying to uncover the trail that brought him to Abbottabad villa in the summer of 2005.

The best information appears to have come from al-Sada, who was believed to be his favorite and who traveled with bin Laden since his escape from Afghanistan's eastern Tora Bora mountain range in 2001.

Qadir, a 35-year army veteran who is now a security consultant, was given rare access to transcripts of Pakistani intelligence's interrogation of al-Sada and access to other documents on bin-Laden's movements. He provided the AP with details in a recent interview.

The details of bin Laden's life as a fugitive — which were first published by the Pakistani newspaper Dawn — raise fresh questions over how bin Laden was able to remain undetected for so long in Pakistan after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, despite being the subject of a massive international manhunt.

Yet a senior US official, who is familiar with the contents recovered in bin Laden's Abbottabad house, said there was no evidence that Pakistani officials were aware of bin Laden's presence. "There was no smoking gun. We didn't find anything," he said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about the contents of the Abbottabad house
More on link and on page #2

As long as he's still dead, I don't care if Robin Leach dines out for an entire season of TV on his real estate holdings.

Back