• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Election

E.R. Campbell said:
How about:
180px-Christine_Elliott_Campaign_Launch_cropped.jpg
?

(....)

In my opinion Elliott is the most likely PC to win the next election but it remains unlikely that she can win her own party.
And she is not making more friends, apparently, in the midst of the leadership challenge ....
A group of disgruntled London Tories has met a drop-dead deadline to tell Ontario Tory Leader Tim Hudak to drop dead.

Bill and Diane Litowski are among 10 party members pushing to change the Progressive Conservative constitution to allow a leadership vote at the party’s policy convention in London next month.

Hudak’s inner circle and caucus supporters were in full damage control Tuesday, as the second petition surfaced in four days calling for his head at next month’s convention.

“The all-hands-on-deck call to stop the dump-the-leader movement is there,” said a source close to key Tory insiders.

“I think Hudak has to look in the mirror long and hard and say, ‘Is this ever going to be a reality?’ and, if it’s not, do it now.”

(....)

Much of the problem, insiders say, is that Hudak continues to surround himself with relics from the Mike Harris era, including Harris himself, Leslie Noble, Tom Long and his wife Deb ­Hutton and this “kitchen cabinet” still thinks they’re operating as if it were the mid- to late-1990s.

Several party members were angered and insulted by a letter sent out last Friday — under the signature of deputy party leader Christine Elliott — claiming the party “made huge gains across the province” in last Thursday’s byelections.

While the Conservatives won their long sought-after seat in Toronto, they lost to the New Democrats in London West and to the ­Liberal machine in Ottawa South.

“Clearly, the people of Ontario are rejecting Kathleen Wynne’s vision for Ontario. They know it’s time for change,” the letter said ....

Federal Tory John Baird on Hudak, via the G&M:
.... Mr. Baird said Thursday the provincial opposition party should “be focusing on tackling Ontario’s problems, not a few naysayers tackling each other.”

“Winning involves unity,” Mr. Baird, a former Ontario PC minister, told The Globe and Mail in a phone interview from Rio de Janeiro. “We’ve got to stay focused on who the real enemy is, and that’s bloated government, big deficits and lagging employment numbers in Ontario. Tim is the one to tackle those, and now is not the time to be inward-looking.”

(....)

Mr. Baird declined to comment on the motivations of Mr. Hudak’s critics, but likened the attacks to those faced by Mr. Harris, Dalton McGuinty and other former provincial opposition leaders before they became premier.

He went out of his way to say that he was not standing up for Mr. Hudak at anyone’s request. “I really believe strongly in this,” he said. “I wasn’t asked to do this. I’m doing it of my own volition.”

Retired AF Guy said:
How about Doug Holyday? The Conservatives have rural Ontario pretty well sewn-up and with Holyday they finally have a toehold in suburban Toronto. Holyday, who was deputy mayor of Toronto and familiar to Toronto voters, as leader, might be able to convince more suburban voters to vote Conservative.

Not only suburban but urban also.

Having lived in Etobicoke Centre when Holyday was mayor, he is the real deal. 

Bonus Bonus and not as eccentric as some of  the other players.

In my view he could retain the traditional base, in rural, suburban Ontario.

As well as gain traction amongst liberal/ndp supporters who do not agree with the current state of affairs.

His  main strength iseems to be his consistent record and ability to deal with difficult issues, and dissenting views.

Back