• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New vehicles for JTF 2 and Canadian Special Operations Regiment

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
A post at The Torch,

"War wagons"!?!
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/03/war-wagons.html

based on this story:

$100M deal to provide new vehicles for JTF2, special forces
War wagons to be built in United States

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/100M+deal+provide+vehicles+JTF2+special+forces/1359060/story.html

The country's Ottawa-based commando unit will receive a fleet of new war wagons next year in a deal expected to be worth more than $100 million.

Evaluation of new vehicles for the military's Joint Task Force 2 commando unit, based at Dwyer Hill, and the special operations regiment in Petawawa has narrowed the search to two candidates, both to be built in the United States.

JTF2 and the Canadian Special Operations Regiment now use Humvees built by AM General in Indiana. Those were purchased during the early days of the Afghan war for JTF2.

Craig McNab of AM General said the company was pursuing the Canadian special forces vehicle project and was waiting for the second phase of the program to begin. That would involve the government issuing a request for proposals to the two companies whose vehicles have been selected.

McNab said he didn't want to get into details about the specific type of vehicle offered to Canada, but he added that AM General had established a good relationship with Canadian special forces through a maintenance and battlefield repair program the company offers on JTF2's existing fleet of Humvees. "We have a particularly good training program with U.S. special operations, and the Canadians liked it as well," he said.

Lockheed Martin is the second firm selected with its Supacat family of vehicles, industry officials say. Those high-mobility trucks were originally designed in Britain, and some variants, such as the Jackal, are in service with special forces and regular force units.

Lockheed Martin has a deal to sell the British vehicles to militaries in Canada and the United States.

In January, the Australian government announced that it had taken delivery of the first of 30 Supacat Jackal patrol vehicles for its special forces. Those vehicles are worth more than $1 million each...

Mark
Ottawa

Further Torch post:

New vehicles for Canadian special forces: "a year late and 40 vehicles short"
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2010/05/new-vehicles-for-canadian-special.html

Mark
Ottawa

Special forces to get 60 high-tech vehicles
Article Link
Canwest News Service May 26, 2010

Canada's special forces units will be getting new vehicles as early as next year.

Sixty special reconnaissance vehicles will be bought and housed at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa to support special forces units there, in Ottawa and in Trenton, Ont.

The new vehicles are being supplied to the Canadian Special Operations Regiment in Petawawa, which would also provide maintenance support as well as drivers. The high-mobility trucks will be available to various units, such as the Ottawa-based Joint Task Force 2 or to special forces task groups.

Canadian special forces use Humvees in Afghanistan. Brig.-Gen. Mike Day, head of the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command in Ottawa, said the Humvees will be usable until the end of the Afghan mission in the summer of next year.

The new vehicles will likely be a version of the British-designed Supacat Jackal. That vehicle is being built by Lockheed Martin in the U.S. and is being marketed to Canadian and U.S. militaries.
end

I haven't seen many of the videos or pictures of it, but it seems like is lacking in ground clearance - How does it perform off-road compared to the HMMWV?

Here's some pics that I can find...

There's a good documentary series which is currently hosted on Youtube of British Parachute Regiment Pathfinders in Afghanistan who are using the Supacat Jackal.  Gives a pretty decent idea of what the vehicle is and isn't capable of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DBXGOkfTk

think they'd be better off with the ELSORV platform ... chop the top, roll cage, mounted weapons etc.

Basically faster, better off-road, and more reliable by the looks of it.

Pics here, http://www.imagereferencedatabase.com/myadmin/photogallery/navigate-242-242-0.html

scr080528a8933s14416016xn9.jpg

whiskey_tango said:
think they'd be better off with the ELSORV platform ... chop the top, roll cage, mounted weapons etc.

Basically faster, better off-road, and more reliable by the looks of it.
It's still a prototype. Most of the reports I've found, which tend to be US government press releases, are based on the three the US had in Afghanistan.

Not sure how you're judging reliability from pictures, but the Supacat Jackal's have a demonstrated level of reliability....in operations.

Either way, I'm not a vehicle SME so I really have no dog in this fight.

I am sure it likely came down to who bid on the contract and then who was cheapest with quickest turn around and of course who else was using it etc etc....

I guess if it's already in use then it's a step ahead. I'm just looking at the mobility of the ELSORV, the other vehicle looks big and not as mobile, but if it's proven then it's proven.

Back