• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
CountDC said:
I don't think anyone was really arguing for or against the medal based on name, I think the point was that if we are going to have it then lets at least give it a proper name and leave the GG out of it.

Here is another question:

Does everyone get the medal regardless of release reason?  example - Johnny gets booted for using drugs too many times, does he deserve a medal to show off? 
Overwatch Downunder said:
Check out the Australian criteria.

I have never heard of someone getting a 'dishonourable', and getting the medal, for starters you must do a mininum of 4 yrs service and/or met the critera for this award.

Cheers,

Wes

So far this medal is no more than someone's pipe dream. Some people within Canada are petitioning the government for it's adoption. The government, to this point, has shown no real interest. As a result, no criteria has been evolving. i.e.: who gets it.

IF it comes about, and IF the government decides to study it, it will be properly staffed and executed, including the requirements for elegibility. While the committee MAY research it, they are under no obligations to look at, consult or depend upon what some other country deems appropriate for it's people. It will be a Canadian award for Canadians, or whomever the criteria fits. I don't care what the US or Australia does. What they have to do for their award is immaterial to us. While other countries have similar awards, I only need to read about them once to understand it and consider the points for discussion.

dapaterson said:
I fear this new medal will be insufficiently inclusive.  Therefore, I propose another new decoration:

The TAJUBNGMAOTC, or  "Thought  About Joining Up But Never Got My *** Off The Couch" medal.
;D

Google is apparently not my friend. I was looking for a poster I saw once in Bosnia with faux medals that was really quite humourous.

LineJumper said:
;D

Google is apparently not my friend. I was looking for a poster I saw once in Bosnia with faux medals that was really quite humourous.

This one?:

recceguy said:
So far this medal is no more than someone's pipe dream. Some people within Canada are petitioning the government for it's adoption. The government, to this point, has shown no real interest. As a result, no criteria has been evolving. i.e.: who gets it.

IF it comes about, and IF the government decides to study it, it will be IMproperly staffed and executed, including the requirements for elegibility. While the committee MAY research it, they are under no obligations to look at, consult or depend upon what some other country deems appropriate for it's people but will to drag it out and make more money off the tax payers. It will be a Canadian award for Canadians, or whomever the criteria fits. I don't care what the US or Australia does. What they have to do for their award is immaterial to us me. While other countries have similar awards, I only need to read about them once to understand it and consider the points for discussion.

there was a point in there correct?

CountDC said:
there was a point in there correct?

The point was exactly as stated, sorry if you have trouble comprehending it. Most don't, but I can't write to everyone's intellect, or lack thereof. Maybe I can figure out how to draw stick figures here.

Don't be putting words in my post that I never intended. I don't care if you agree, so quit trolling.

As for the minor spelling correction, you're friggin' brilliant, you must be proud.

Staying on topic works well for these kinds of things, folks.

Let's keep the P in PM, danke.

Milnet.ca Staff

recceguy said:
The point was exactly as stated, sorry if you have trouble comprehending it. Most don't, but I can't write to everyone's intellect, or lack thereof. Maybe I can figure out how to draw stick figures here.

Don't be putting words in my post that I never intended. I don't care if you agree, so quit trolling.

As for the minor spelling correction, you're friggin' brilliant, you must be proud.

Oh, I see the point - it was that you didn't like that people were discussing the medal and the possibilities, looking at other countries to see what they have done and in general not jumping on your band wagon.

It's funny that you mention troll as that is how I viewed your post - a troll into a question and answer between me and OWDU.

CountDC said:
Oh, I see the point - it was that you didn't like that people were discussing the medal and the possibilities, looking at other countries to see what they have done and in general not jumping on your band wagon.

It's funny that you mention troll as that is how I viewed your post - a troll into a question and answer between me and OWDU.

The thread doesn't belong to you and some select group
gayfight2.gif
. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you like it or not.

You also need a new group of friends, because the person you got to explain my post to you, seems to be as equally challenged in the english language department as you are.

Feel free to keep yanking the thread of course with your personal pissing contest
piss.gif

recceguy said:

I beg to differ, the NDP is all over it  ::) :  http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Docid=4330129&file=4

I also noticed Bill C-231: An Act respecting the establishment and award of a Special Service Medal for Domestic Emergency Relief Operations (also NDP) was not re-introduced in the 40th Parliament (it had been kicking around since 2004) so this is obviously a re-jigged attempt to establish some type of recognition, for in all honesty, just being a dude in uniform.

Technoviking said:
How about a medal for Op HALO first?

Just saying

I second that one...I'm sure the young guy that left here with 1CFH will have his SSM well before I retire - which will likely be when we see the OP Halo medal  ::).

MM

Swingline1984 said:
I beg to differ, the NDP is all over it  ::) :  http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Docid=4330129&file=4

I also noticed Bill C-231: An Act respecting the establishment and award of a Special Service Medal for Domestic Emergency Relief Operations (also NDP) was not re-introduced in the 40th Parliament (it had been kicking around since 2004) so this is obviously a re-jigged attempt to establish some type of recognition, for in all honesty, just being a dude in uniform.

I believe neither is the same as the award being discussed. All three seem to differ completely in the perceived criteria and overall purpose. Just my take on the whole smoz though, I could be reading it wrong.

recceguy said:
I believe neither is the same as the award being discussed. All three seem to differ completely in the perceived criteria and overall purpose. Just my take on the whole smoz though, I could be reading it wrong.

I think you're right.  After a re-read I noticed I missed the drop dead date of 1989.

OK, I know I said I was done with this thread, but........now you're saying there are people out there trying to create three new medals:

- Defence of Canada Medal (1946-1989), for personally having defeated the godless communist hoards;

- Special Service Medal for Domestic Emergency Relief Operations, for watching troops shoveling out Toronto bus shelters (even though the buses weren't running), or standing by to dog-paddle south of Winnipeg because nobody figured the annual floods would happen....again ; and

- Governor-General's Service Medal, for....well, for having actually made it through BMQ.

:rofl:

Dumb idea3
.....I may have to work on my tan and start calling myself the last King of Scotland.  ;D

OK, now I'm done -- I hope I can sleep nights, waiting.  ;)

Journeyman said:
- Special Service Medal for Domestic Emergency Relief Operations, for watching troops shoveling out Toronto bus shelters (even though the buses weren't running), or standing by to dog-paddle south of Winnipeg because nobody figured the annual floods would happen....again ; and

Come on, some of us did alot of poleclimbing on icy poles, and I learned that filling sandbags with little conveyor belt/hopper thingy kicks arse over a shovel. Driving around with an HL dropping off troops to dig scrapes in Kelowna was terribly exhausting. Oh yeah, without possible flooding in BC, I'd not have had the distinct pleasure of piloting an LS over the Coquihala.

Just sayin....

:warstory:

Journeyman said:
...now you're saying there are people out there trying to create three new medals:

Only 1 person.  The other 2 are being pushed by the NDP, a species similar to a small root vegetable.

If I had wanted, or cared, about a medal I would have stayed in the 2 3 [oops, forgot the forfeiture ;)] more years.....................

Spend my 30 bucks on a delivered meal for a shut-in Vet.

I think the comparison with the Americans is a non-starter.

Few of us would argue that they may over-recognize people (the stereotypical "here's a ribbon for tying your boots"), however they also recognize people in good ways too.

We have guys doing amazing things on tour and then due to our red tape the poor guys doesn't get his medal for three years.  Americans can pop a medal on a guy when he gets back to the FOB.  Do they get it wrong sometimes?  Maybe, but they also get it right 90% of the time and for all those guys who deserve it, they're recognized properly as opposed to when they get home and are posted to a different unit with different people.

Anyway, back to the topic of this medal, I think people can be recognized for a general/voluntary-type medal, as long as everyone is treated equally. 

The only thing I can't stand is when they come out with the kinds of medals like the Jubilee where only a few thousand are awarded with completely wide open arcs and no criteria, so a general's numpty captain aide gets the thing instead of the soldiers who have burned a few more calories in their service to Canada.

I think presenting a "coin" would be appropriate. We can add that one to the growing pile in each of our sock drawers, with the most meaningful ones well and truly buried by the numerous Dental detachment officer commanding coins etc that are the current rage. There must have been a senoir leadership meeting on how the troops love to get tokens... (my wife is in Dental, the coin is fictional, for now..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back