• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy getting the Sig 225 issued?

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I know that the MP's and the pilots have been issued Sig 225's. Now I am been told that that the Navy boarding parties have them. My understanding was that the boarding parties were getting 226's?

Since the 225 is no longer made or at least not for sale to Civilians, I am assuming the CF is issuing what it has rather than purchase more 226's?

In fact the only single stack I think Sig makes now is the 220? The new 250 or SP2022 would seem to be a good choice for the Navy type. (Correction the 239 is also single stack)

I'll warn you that I'm not a huge weapons guy but I'll try to tell you what we used in the NBP. 

We had the Sig that only held 8 rounds, single stack, smaller grip.  We were told on course that the reason we didn't have the same pistols as the MPs is because the Navy wanted a bit smaller weapon that anyone (even those with small hands) would be able to operate effectively.  The Navy's been using that type of Sig (actual nomenclature escapes me) for the last 8 years before I transferred to the Air Force this fall
:cdn:.   

8 rds is normal for most single stacks. If it was smaller than the 225, I suspect it may be the 239?

Here is a link to current Sig pistols

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogCategory.aspx?categoryid=1

We use the P225 and according to our trainers the reason why we got it is another agency ordered them and the NBPs was added as an after thought because it was already a contract in progress and we could get them at a lower cost per unit.

I think it will be a long long time before you see the P225 replace in Naval service.

If the 225 is a single stack, that is the one the Navy uses. 

I know for a fact that it isn't the 239. 

Ex-Dragoon said:
We use the P225 and according to our trainers the reason why we got it is another agency ordered them and the NBPs was added as an after thought because it was already a contract in progress and we could get them at a lower cost per unit.

I think it will be a long long time before you see the P225 replace in Naval service.

AH!! that explains it, I was wondering where they would have sourced them. Although for a boarding party I think I would rather have a double stacked gun like the 229, more bullets the merrier!!!

The 226 would be nice as would a Glock, but I am content with the P225.

Does Tac Hel get Sigs as well or do they still get the Hi Power?

AH!! that explains it, I was wondering where they would have sourced them. Although for a boarding party I think I would rather have a double stacked gun like the 229, more bullets the merrier!!!

Yeah but with the MP5, or Remington 870 shotgun as your secondary weapon there are more than enough bullets to go around.  As the NBPs mainly deal with civilians, the intimidation factor is there when the blue pajamas come on board with all that. 

That and you don't want the Navy guys carrying too much, what with 5 squares a day at sea!!! :D

Mmmm we've got 225s as our side arms. I had to qualify this year on them. Nice little pistols, but I think I'll take a 226 in .40 any day though... or even a Glock21.

We use them for force protection as well as NBP, a nice little weapon that you can shoot some tight groups with. Way superior than the browning. Liked it so much that I bought one for myself.

Sigs will grow on you, I have the 226ST and just got the 229Elite in .40cal/9mm and am ordering a .357Sig barrel for it.

Now to convince my wife that I need a 220ST in .45acp and a SP2022 in 9mm.  ;D

Most Sigophiles I know think the 225 is one of the best in the family.  I've never even handled it but, its double stacked brother the 228 fits my hand like it was made for me.  I love the 220 and the 226 but it can't stand the fact that I didn't buy a 228 before the Politburo decided the barrel was dangerously short. >:D

Steve

My 226 clone arrived today. Going to have to play with it some and see how I like the style. If it works out, I may have to invest in one of the new 250's. I watched the SIG video on the 250 and it looks like a pretty versatile system.

The 228 is nice, I think though i'm going to buy a 226 navy and use it as my CCW while i'm visiting the states. ;D

Stoker good choice! I wanted to get a P226 Navy too... but it's expensive :(

That's why I went the way of the Scrooge and decided on a 226 Clone

Stoker said:
...I think though i'm going to buy a 226 navy and use it as my CCW while i'm visiting the states. ;D

You may want to brush up on the firearms laws for the respective states and municipalities you'll be visiting, otherwise you might find yourself in a heap of legal trouble and your new pistol being confiscated.  Like it or not, the National Rifle Association of America is probably your best point of contact for obtaining info on the various Concealed Carry Weapons laws each state, however they will likely have you join the association before they send you any of their information packages.

You can get the NP-34 (Norinco clone of the 228) at Lever Arms for $299 or at Marstar for $349. They have apparently redid the design to fix the frame cracking problem. I would have bought one if I didn't just buy the 229.

Back