• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unsure how to move forward.

flux

Jr. Member
Reaction score
29
Points
330
Hi there, I fear I have hit a bit of a roadblock, or at least another obstacle to navigate regarding the recruiting process.
I am going to share my story of where I'm at, and I would appreciate any advice, even if vague.

So for some background:

I initially opened my application in August 2023 for Pilot, and Intelligence Officer (ROTP CIV-U)
Between August and December I successfully completed most aspects of the recruiting process (CFAT, Interview, Medical, Aircrew Selections).

Up to this point, everything was going quick, correspondence was regular and I was excited with how things were moving along.
But then it all started to go downhill.

CFRC went on holiday for a month, so I was left In the dark for the remainder of December regarding my application.
This is no problem at all, however, I assumed (and was told at aircrew selections) that I would be sent to Toronto CFEME for my Aircrew Medical upon return from holidays.

I emailed, phoned, and finally got through to them around ~January 20, 2024.
They informed me there was an issue with my medical and they needed more information (I did my medical in October?)

It took a month for me to get all the proper appointments, and then doctors' notes to them.
Luckily, it only took a few days before I got an email back saying my medical stuff was all approved by RMO and my application was moved to the "Final Processing" stage. (February 21 Confirmed RMO)

And I have been stuck here since.

I have been following up every 2 weeks, asking about being booked in for CFEME in Toronto.
Every time I get the same Response:

"Looks like you are all ready to be booked, I will speak to our Bookings Team"

So another 2 weeks go by. Same thing. Rinse and repeat until now.

In fact, last time I spoke to them, the recruiter on the phone said "Oh wow, have you not gone to Toronto yet? I have a note here saying you were supposed to be booked in any date after March 19. Wtf? Ill talk to my supervisor"






(Blah, this message is getting long I'm sorry for rambling, but its the weekend and you must be bored too if you're reading this so ill carry on.)






Anyways, As I understand it, most selections for ROTP have already been made for this year, so I am assuming getting sent to Toronto and getting my Aircrew medical this year is highly unlikely. Which is frustrating since its the only thing between me and the competition list. But That's not really in my control so lets carry on...

See, the problem is, I have just finished my first year of university. So that leaves me with 2 options.

1) Register for second year university
(Ive been told ill no longer be eligible for ROTP if I do this, can anyone confirm?)
And finish my degree on my own dime, then reapply as DEO in 3 years.

2) Not enroll year 2 university, work and wait for possible offer next spring.

3) ...? anything I'm missing? Can anyone see a path forward here other than the two options listed above?
Am I just being dramatic? Do I still have a shot this year? So many questions, I try to ask the recruiters and I've sort of been given the go around.

Please let me know what you think here.
 
Unless policy as changed, and I'd be shocked if it has, as long as you have more than 1 year left of civie school (i.e. You're in year 2 of a 3 year program, or year 3 of a 4 year program) that you're still eligible for ROTP.

You are definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Honestly if I were you I'd reach out to the Social media team on Facebook (Canadian Armed Forces | Ottawa ON) and see if any of the Social Media Recruiters can lend a hand. Sounds like you're not getting the best treatment, which is unfortunate.
 
Unless policy as changed, and I'd be shocked if it has, as long as you have more than 1 year left of civie school (i.e. You're in year 2 of a 3 year program, or year 3 of a 4 year program) that you're still eligible for ROTP.

You are definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Honestly if I were you I'd reach out to the Social media team on Facebook (Canadian Armed Forces | Ottawa ON) and see if any of the Social Media Recruiters can lend a hand. Sounds like you're not getting the best treatment, which is unfortunate.

I have been in touch with a recruiter again since posting this message originally and I've been told the following:

If I have done 2 years of Civilian University, I am still eligible for ROTP, but NOT if I have done 3 years.
However, I've been told the competition list for my chosen trades will be at least 2 years wait. Thus, ill be on my third year at the time, or later, unless I put my degree on hold.

At this point, it becomes likely DEO is the route I'll have to take.

I don't see much changing, and I don't think I want to put my life on hold to wait for a 'maybe', so I guess the plan will most likely be apply DEO 3 years from now, but at that point, I'll probably just go to grad school.

Recruiters at this point are pushing me for other trades, which is frustrating considering I'm on the very last step of my application already.
 
Recruiters at this point are pushing me for other trades, which is frustrating considering I'm on the very last step of my application already.
Based on what you have written, it's likely the recruiters are offering suggestions for occupations that are accepting applications now, without a years long waitlist.

You need to decide whether or not Pilot and IntO are worth holding out for, or if there are other available occupations that are also appealing.

I faced a similar situation when I joined, and as it turns out the occupation I picked worked out quite well. Likely better than my original choices would have.
 
I have been in touch with a recruiter again since posting this message originally and I've been told the following:

If I have done 2 years of Civilian University, I am still eligible for ROTP, but NOT if I have done 3 years.
However, I've been told the competition list for my chosen trades will be at least 2 years wait. Thus, ill be on my third year at the time, or later, unless I put my degree on hold.

At this point, it becomes likely DEO is the route I'll have to take.

I don't see much changing, and I don't think I want to put my life on hold to wait for a 'maybe', so I guess the plan will most likely be apply DEO 3 years from now, but at that point, I'll probably just go to grad school.

Recruiters at this point are pushing me for other trades, which is frustrating considering I'm on the very last step of my application already.
I will state look at your wording and then compare it to mine ;-)

"have done 3 years" ... when you're in your 3rd year you're not done your 3rd year. So if you're in year 3 of a 4 year program you're still eligible; however once you're done the 3rd year (i.e. only 1 year left) you can't do ROTP anymore. Same information said slightly differently :)

When you have picked a trade that is done for the year they will always try to reorientate you to another occupation, while you might feel frustrated imagine if there was another occupation open that you'd do well in and no one told you. 3 or 4 years from now you find out you could've gone another route - how upset would you be? Also while it's not a for-profit-business, the CAF is still a business in that it needs employees. So a Recruiter will try to tell you about other occupations that we need to fill the numbers for. It's up to you whether you go down that route or not.

No matter which route you pick, best of luck!
 
I will state look at your wording and then compare it to mine ;-)

"have done 3 years" ... when you're in your 3rd year you're not done your 3rd year. So if you're in year 3 of a 4 year program you're still eligible; however once you're done the 3rd year (i.e. only 1 year left) you can't do ROTP anymore. Same information said slightly differently :)

When you have picked a trade that is done for the year they will always try to reorientate you to another occupation, while you might feel frustrated imagine if there was another occupation open that you'd do well in and no one told you. 3 or 4 years from now you find out you could've gone another route - how upset would you be? Also while it's not a for-profit-business, the CAF is still a business in that it needs employees. So a Recruiter will try to tell you about other occupations that we need to fill the numbers for. It's up to you whether you go down that route or not.

No matter which route you pick, best of luck!

True enough.

I read your comment as "If you're in year 3 or 4 of a program" the first time around, that's my bad.

I appreciate the comments. I've communicated with the recruiter now that I will hold out for potential pilot/IntO slots as I am not interested in a career doing the other positions. Especially since I was never comp listed in time to be considered for the trades of my choice yet.
 
Based on what you have written, it's likely the recruiters are offering suggestions for occupations that are accepting applications now, without a years long waitlist.

You need to decide whether or not Pilot and IntO are worth holding out for, or if there are other available occupations that are also appealing.

I faced a similar situation when I joined, and as it turns out the occupation I picked worked out quite well. Likely better than my original choices would have.

Yeah, I guess this makes sense.

However, the email they sent did say switching trades would give me a "small chance" at being selected for this year, as I am still not on the competition list. They said it is still unlikely i'd be selected within time as i'd need to interview for the new trades, by which time ROTP selections will likely be over.

I'm not taking Pilot off my list, after passing aircrew selections, and not being given a chance at comp list yet, just for a "small chance".

Way it goes I guess, I'm just shocked they didn't help make sure I completed the last step of my application in time to be competition listed, considering I have regularly been in touch regarding this appointment since January. But I guess we can only move forward...
 
Back
Top