• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy getting the Sig 225 issued?

THE CCW resource www.packing.org

It will be a cold day in hell before a piece of red chinese metal graces my gun safe.

Infidel-6 said:
It will be a cold day in hell before a piece of red chinese metal graces my gun safe.

I'm just happy people are buying firearms, restricted and otherwise. ;)

Infidel-6 said:
THE CCW resource www.packing.org

Except for the fact that your safe is likely made in China..... ;D

Colin P said:
Except for the fact that your safe is likely made in China..... ;D

If you check and it says M.I.T. it's Made in Taiwan :)

But I guess.... two wrongs would make it right eh? :D

Proudly made in the USA  ;D

I'm all for people buying guns -- but the Chinese weapon companies are owned by the state and run by the military -- thus we are funding an enemy (or potential enemy for those who feel all fuzzy).

Speaking of the Nasty Chinese weapons companies, just got back from fondling the Type-97, interesting design although not as nice as the Tavor. Mag release for the 97 is on the right side and hard to find. You would hate the supplied optics.

Colin, did you play with it at Lever? I played with it awhile back when it first arrived. Thought about it, and then thought that AR would be a better waste of my hard earned deneros. ;D

It's interesting though... would probably buy a Tavor before that... but definitely an AR before both :D

Yep, for $800 I would buy in a flash, but for $1800............

As I missed the AR generation in the Canadian Military, the AR hold no particular attraction for me.

Also found the stock pull a bit short.

Colin, you're missing out mate! AR is fun to shoot even away from the work weapons.

I know what you mean about the price. Not overly attractive...

I have a Utah CCW but they are no longer issuing them to foreigners IIRC. Be advised that you can't bring Chinese made guns into the US.

As far as buying Chinese guns? The more gun owners/guns in Canada the better! Damn near everything we buy is made in China anyways. I've got a HP-9 12 ga,  and have a M-14S on the way... maybe if the US didn't try and block the export of anything remotely tactical we wouldn't have to buy offshore!

I like the Sigs alot, but the CF should have gone with the 228/9 over the 225 IMHO. Or better yet the GLOCK 19!

Just reading an article on the Sigs, it said that the 225 is the shortened version of the 220, 3.9" barrel

weight 29oz
length 7.1"

I suspect that the locking insert would be shorter as is the 229 compared to the 226.

why not glock17 or XD, they are polymer framed, are lighter and have high capacity magazine

Why not a S&W M&P? Why not a Walter P99? Why not a Colt 1911 Commander?

Those are the questions that shall never be answered... just because...

I think back during the 1st gulf war, Sea King pilots required a compact pistol. A number of these were procured and eventually they were issued to the ships.

MedTech said:
Why not a S&W M&P? Why not a Walter P99? Why not a Colt 1911 Commander?

Those are the questions that shall never be answered... just because...
Walter P99 is too expensive. S&W M&P is too new, needs time to prove. Colt 1911 too old, too heavy, 7 rounds only........

Stoker said:
I think back during the 1st gulf war, Sea King pilots required a compact pistol. A number of these were procured and eventually they were issued to the ships.

See reply #3
uzi said:
Walter P99 is too expensive. S&W M&P is too new, needs time to prove. Colt 1911 too old, too heavy, 7 rounds only........

oh and the 1 additional round in the mag for our P225s makes a difference? Sorry is we are going to go for a low capacity magazine fed weapon I would take a 1911 anyday.

Ex-Dragoon said:
See reply #3
oh and the 1 additional round in the mag for our P225s makes a difference? Sorry is we are going to go for a low capacity magazine fed weapon I would take a 1911 anyday.

The .45 is not a nato round, the size and weight of the pistol allows it to be easily handled than a .45 and the P225 has better safety features. That saying I would love to see a .45 as well, Canada would never go for it.

I guess my sarcasm escaped some...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The .45 would never fit all people and that's the main problem. That's why a 9mm was adopted. A 9mm can be handled by a majority of people who needs to use a sidearm, and hand size wise, most people have no problems gripping a 9mm pistol. However a .45 is substantially larger in comparison then the 9mm in grip and recoil would make it near impossible for those with smaller hand sizes to deploy it effectively. That and cost and blah blah non-NATO standard sized round.

Pistol grip size is related to design as much as calibre though, i.e. single stack mag (1911 or P225) vs double stack (BHP, Glock 17, Sig 226 etc).

Perhaps the next-gen issue sidearm will have interchangeable backstraps like the S&W M&P to fit different hand sizes.

Back