• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

I highlited some areas in yellow are markers of possible identifying markers  ones in red are know markers, I been looking at the area in blue that seems wrong, for one the white spotlite, and on most there is a plate there, the four launchers things on the turret, what are they mortar launchers they look like there electrial operated or possible round bar stiffeners not sure. The gun barrel also looks off with that fume extractor like its a fake fume exactor comared to others, under the mounting of the gun barrel seems repaired or welded into place not sure.
I can only guess. Just wondering if this tank is original in its design. Its looks like the type 55 by the front fenders, slung track but a later model of a type 55 because of the lower wider and rounded turret housing, hatches and gun mounting also fit that era of tank

The pic was modified to delete some highly obvious markings (like chinese writings on the walls, or big red stars on the front fenders.), but nothing what would change the tank itself. It was really build as you see it on that pic. How far the barrel was real, I don´t know. It was a prototype so both could be possible.

Regards,
ironduke57 

More specifc this one?

Type 69 III (Type 79)
ChineseType79Tank.jpg

Chinese Type 79 (Type 69-III, WZ-121D).Also known as the WZ-121D, improved Type 69-II version with Western Technology. In service with PLA as the Type 79 MBT. Improvements include:

First Chinese tank to incorporate rubber plated track
First Chinese tank to have hatches automatically closed when NBC agents are detected
Type 83-I 105 mm gun (improved L7 copy) with replaceable thermal sleeve
Passive IR sights or thermal imaging system
Tracks fitted with removable rubber shoes
British Marconi FCS system with:
TLRLA laser rangefinder
BCLA ballistic computer
TGSA gunner sight
Type 79 liquid-cooled 730 hp diesel

Well, that edit i have in that post was removing the specific number :)

I just want to do one for fun.

well, there appears to be only this one between the models specified that was not named yet. Buuuuuuuut... type 79 has those side skirts and the picture does not. That's what made me remove the number.

And the spot light location and the add on stuff too, can't find any mention of them.

Come to think of it the fenders to me don't look quiet right either  :-\

well, we know it is between 59 and 88 and is not a 62.

So that link covers the only other thing that was in that time frame.

sober_ruski said:
well, we know it is between 59 and 88 and is not a 62.
Do we?
ironduke57 said:
BetweenType 59 and 88?->No.

Looks as though it is fitted with 4 of some sort of ready to fire tube launched ATGM.  Possibly to make up for short comings of a 100 mm or 105 mm main gun?

Gah. I have failed reading comprehension 101. It says no  :-[

Well, everything (or almost?) up to 88 had those 'small' guns . 88a and 88b had improved 'small' guns.

Type 69 III?->No.
Type 79?->No.
between 59 and 88 and is not a 62?->Where did I say that?

Regards,
ironduke57

Okay. It is one of the prototype´s of the failed "Type 122" MBT project.

Free turn.

Regards,
ironduke57

Back