• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

stegner said:
Is there a separate thread for naming aircraft?
Do a search.  If there's nothing, then feel free to start such a thread.

Hmmm British Chasis, WW2 or very soon after era... will have to look as the name doesnt come to me right now

Is it this German anit armour from ww2 ?

75-mm assault gun, 7.5-cm Stu. G. 40

Hungarian 40/43M Zrinyi assault gun

The Zrinyi assault howitzer used a 105mm howitzer on a Turan chassis. The tank bears a striking resemblance to the Italian Semoventi with the 105/25 gun. Proposed manufacturing had the  Zrinyi to be armed with 75mm long barreled as well. The manufacturer was Manfred Weisz of Cspel and MAVAG of Dios-Gyor. Modifications included the addition of side skirts to deflect hollow charge anti-tank weapons in 1944.

The Hungarians seeing the successes of the German Sturmgeschutz in the East, made the production of an assault gun a very high priority. This was especially true after the disastrous debut of the Turan tanks of the 2nd Magyar Honved (2nd Hungarian Army). Two versions were planned - the Zrinyi I, armed with a long-barreled 76mm anti-tank gun; and the Zrinyi II, armed with a 105mm howitzer. \They chose the name "Zrinyi" to honor Nikolaus Graf Zrinyi, a Hungarian national hero who fought the Turks, and was killed in the battle of Szigetvar in 1566. A total of eight assault battalions were planned, each with thirty vehicles, to be used as an independent army or corps for the support of infantry divisions.

As a basis, the Turan medium tank was utilized. It's engine, suspension and basic chassis were identical to the Turan.  the chassis did have to be widened by .45m to make room for the armament. In December 1942, the Manfred Weisz company had already finished a prototype of the Zrinyi II with a 105mm 40/43M (L/20.5) howitzer made by MAVAG Dios-Gyor. The howitzer was a modified version of the MAVAG developed 105mm 40M towed howitzer. This weapon was known to provide good performance against the Soviet T-34.

The Zrinyi II prototype was taken to the artillery range at Hajmasker in western Hungary.  It went through tests between December 12, 1942 to January 20, 1943. After these tests proved successful, the vehicle was accepted for production and was designated 43M Zrinyi II rohamtarack (assault howitzer). It was later redesignated 43M Zrinyi 105 rohamtarack.

The Zrinyi I used the same modified chassis and engine as the 105mm-armed version, but it mounted the MAVAG Dios-Gyor developed 75mm 43M (L/43) anti-tank gun (as was developed for the Turan III).  Development initiated in May 1943, but a prototype was not completed until the winter of 1943-44. Production was planned for June of 1944 at manfred Weisz and Ganz.  Service designation for this type was 44M Zrinyi I rohamagyu (assault gun).

A contract was placed at Manfred Weisz for 40 Zrinyi vehicles. The number was later raised to 104 vehicles to be built by Manfred Weisz and Ganz (54 each in 1943, and 50 in 1944).  The first Zrinyi IIs arrived by August 1943. A total of 60 of the Zrinyi II were produced by Manfred Weisz before production halted in July 1944. It is possible, but not confirmed, that Ganz completed a further six vehicles in August and September of 1944. Production of the Zrinyi I was never initiated, and a single prototype was used for trials only.

umm.... I guess that would make it my turn....

How about...

Ayup.... ya got it<

After the armistice, control of the Ansaldo works fell under German control. The Germans ordered the production of a modified version of the M 42L and a 75/46 was the gun of choice. The resulting vehicle was named the M 42T da 75/46 (the T signified Tedesco or German). Only a limited number were produced and these were used exclusively by the Germans. Only about 15 were ever made.

MCG said:
what is it?

Looks like it has a German turret, but the chassis I have no clue. Is it Czech?

Let's give a shot now, I"ll say Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf a1/a2/a3?

Back