• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

ironduke57 said:
Okay. It is one of the prototype´s of the failed "Type 122" MBT project.
Interesting thing.  Not much information on it, but it sounds like it may have been an attempt to get a medium tank with the firepower of a heavy ... plus integrate a lot of new technology.  I found a Wikipedia claim that "after the Korean War, China had attempted to reverse-engineer the IS-2/IS-3 as Type 122 medium tank."  I strongly doubt this given that the Type 122 appears to be a medium/main battle tank and not a heavy tank (which the IS-2 was).  I also find it interesting that there is no suggestion of this at the site referenced by Wikipedia: http://www.geocities.com/desperado6_sp3/Type122.html
Generally very little is known about this tank.  Alegedly it was develoed from a damaged soviet T-62 captured in the Sino-Soviet Conflict.  As the story goes too many 'improvements' were made to the T-62 design in the reverse engineering process and the tank was a miserable failure.  A few noticeable differences from the T-62 include the twin 12.7mm Type 54 AAMGs, the faired over sponsons, ubiquitous stamped red star fenders, and larger gun.  Of the only two pics I have seen of this tank, each has a different gun.  My guess is one is with the original 115mm gun and the other an 'improved' 122mm D-25T gun derived from supplied IS-2m tanks with new muzzle brakes.
I can find posts on a few other bulletin boards supporting the idea that the Type 122 was a development of captured T-62.  However, it appears to me that it may have been a hybriding of T-55/Type 59 with developments of the T-62 (odd thought given that the T-62 was directly evolved from the T-55).  The road wheel layout of the Type 122 is that of a T-54/55 or a Type 59/69.  Note the space after the first road wheel which is not found on a T-62.  The turret shape reminds me more of a T-62 but some features (such as the ports either side of the main gun) still retain the T-55 look.

MCG said:
Looks as though it is fitted with 4 of some sort of ready to fire tube launched ATGM.  Possibly to make up for short comings of a 100 mm or 105 mm main gun?
looking at it now, those four tubes look smaller than the main gun.  If it is a 120 mm gun of a T10, then I'd suspect the tubes to be fore 107 mm rockets allowing a Tank Pl or Coy to launch a whirlwind barrage just before (or while) crossing the LOD.

... I can't find any reliable ref on this vehicle though.  Is there one?

@MCG Here is the page from which the pic came I used:
- http://china-defense.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_china-defense_archive.html (Scroll a bit down.)

It is also listed at JED with pics of some of the other prototype´s for this project:
- http://www.jedsite.info/tanks-tango/tango-type/type-122_series/type122-series.html#1222

@sober_ruski
The most unusual vehicle´s are mostly quite easy, because when you have seen them once you will remember them easily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I just had a round, I give it free.

Regards,
ironduke57

Can't be giving out those kinds of hints this early.  Wouldn't be fair to those who know.

You've got the scale of the thing all wrong.

'Doodlebugs' (known as 'Goliath' in Germany) - remote controlled tanks, loaded with high explosives.

"Daimler-Benz "T-34 type" proposal".  The Govt went with the MAN design for the Panther as it was not so much a direct copy of the T-34 and the Daimler never went past the proto models produced and I'm guessing that this is one of them found in a factory yard somewhere in Germany in early - mid 1945.

Back