• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

Probably not the first time this has been heard before! I was on the CFLRS web site today, examining the weekly and training schedules and such, and noticed the dreaded swimming test. I essentially, without doubt, swim like a brick. Should I learn how to swim in the next 12 or so days to survive IAP?  :p

To tell you the truth the swim test isn't that hard. Even if you don't know how to swim, and it doesn't really count towards your final report. When you get to your first swim session they will ask for who doesn't know how to swim, be honest if will help you in the long run. They will teach you and help you to pass the swim test, and if you don't pass the first time don't worry, you will get more help before you have to do the retest.

What he said. If you can float/tread water and master a side stroke then your golden.

The military will teach you how to swim better, and give the time to practice... >:D not always a pleasant thing.

I learned to swim during my basic tng yrs ago, and still take lessons so that I can improve. I run like the wind, but a dozen lengths of a pool still feels like a marathon to me.

Okay, well that's not too bad at all. Heck, it's an excuse for me to get into the water and learn how. I certainly won't be embarassed to say that I can't: it'd save the embarassment of drowning in a pool down the road. ;)

Ok its been said, but its a long post, for those fast forwarding to the end to see the sum of it all here it is.

At cflrs, st-jean, the mega:
there is a swim test. Passing it or not, is not going to cost you the course. I am 1/2 done my bmq there (although home for the weekend, its a long weekend for qubec). I failed the swim test. I retest this week. Failing again will not cost me the couse. I hope to pass, but I doubt I will. The test is not all the difficult, I am just that bad in water. Many self discribed "non swimmers" in my platoon passed. so.......

Try your best,
take lessons if u still have time,
try to pass/complete every task they give you, they are all important,
and dont under any circumstances refuse to do the test, afraid or not. They will not let you drown in the pool at basic. When I went under while trying my test they pulled me out as soon as I went under, rather than waiting for me to reach for their stick. Failing the test is ok, failing to try is not.
Before the test they will ask for the week or non swimmers. These people will do their test in lanes 1 and 8. They are closest to the sides, and your life guard is within feet of you.

Blue_Stratocaster said:
Ok its been said, but its a long post, for those fast forwarding to the end to see the sum of it all here it is.

At cflrs, st-jean, the mega:
there is a swim test. Passing it or not, is not going to cost you the course...  Failing again will not cost me the couse. I hope to pass, but I doubt I will.
Try ... Failing the test is ok, failing to try is not...

WTF???

Have the standards lowered that much that we are now passing personnel in Basic who fail a "mandatory" test of which the minimum acceptable standard was "Pass." When did this change?? The books still say "pass." I'm going to have to work on finding out the answer to this one today.

BTW,

Word up to those of you who make it through without "passing" (I have serious problems with that little tidbit ... I'm a lifeguard) ...

In some Units, the test is given each year or every couple of years. What are you going to do then? What are you going to do when PT happens to be a session ... in the pool (and not the shallow end)?? Water polo can be fun for PT ...

Despite the advice given in the quoted post regarding "failure being OK," I'd strongly encourage each of you to make the most of your time in Basic where they will provide you with the tools to "earn" that pass that must show on your paperwork for successful completion of Basic. That's what you're there for.

One day being able to "pass" that test may save your life; it is a pre-req for a reason.

Once you're in the water just try to relax. Dropping off the tower has it's downpoints for some swimmers too because some of them are afraid of heights. Remember that you have a life jacket on and that you will come back to the surface. Don't panic!! People FLOAT!!! People who panic, don't float as well. When doing the treading water portion, instead of looking straight ahead, try leaning your head back so that you can see the walls and the roof to take your mind off the fact that you are in the water. I've seen that calm enough 'non-swimmers' that they did fine and were able to successfully complete the portion. Don't worry about the lifeguard, do not concentrate on them and their nice 'Lifeguard' shirt...it doesn't do well for ones mind; instead concentrate on trying to remain calm and looking upwards. You will be more successful. The lifeguard will be watching you, they will come in to get you if there's a problem of that you can be assured. Slow, deep breaths people ... instead of quick short ones; it keeps more air in your lungs and you float much better.

ArmyVern said:
Have the standards lowered that much that we are now passing personnel in Basic who fail a "mandatory" test of which the minimum acceptable standard was "Pass." When did this change?? The books still say "pass." I'm going to have to work on finding out the answer to this one today.

I don't know if the standards have changed, but it appears that application of the standards have not changed much.  I'm one of those typical non-swim capable Newfoundlanders.  Our belief is that if God had intended people to swim he would not have made the North Atlantic so cold.  And yet I had no problem going out in small boats on the great big sea or even going to the 'front' one season many years ago.  I've even been known to go into the water at the beach and splash around sufficently well that lifeguards were not overly concerned (or else they are paying more attention to those more physically attractive than me). (cue theme music and slow-motion running scene from Baywatch)

Over 30 years ago (Cornwallis) I was one of those who raised their hand to identify non/poor swimmers.  Not surprisingly the majority were Newfs.  We all attended the regularly scheduled swim periods as well as remedial swimming.  We all were tested at various intervals but there were still many who had not passed by the time of graduation.  We were told that we would be tested later and to work on our swimming.  That never formally happened though there were a few occasions where a prerequisite for attendance on a military course or exercise was completion of the military swim test.  The non-completion of the test did not preclude me from participating in these activities.  And then over 20 years ago (Chilliwack) I again identified myself as a non/poor swimmer, though there were fewer in the category this time around.  Again I was not able to pass the swim test and again I completed the course.

Blackadder1916 said:
I don't know if the standards have changed, but it appears that application of the standards have not changed much.  I'm one of those typical non-swim capable Newfoundlanders.  Our belief is that if God had intended people to swim he would not have made the North Atlantic so cold.  And yet I had no problem going out in small boats on the great big sea or even going to the 'front' one season many years ago.  I've even been known to go into the water at the beach and splash around sufficently well that lifeguards were not overly concerned (or else they are paying more attention to those more physically attractive than me). (cue theme music and slow-motion running scene from Baywatch)

Over 30 years ago (Cornwallis) I was one of those who raised their hand to identify non/poor swimmers.  Not surprisingly the majority were Newfs.  We all attended the regularly scheduled swim periods as well as remedial swimming.  We all were tested at various intervals but there were still many who had not passed by the time of graduation.  We were told that we would be tested later and to work on our swimming.  That never formally happened though there were a few occasions where a prerequisite for attendance on a military course or exercise was completion of the military swim test.  The non-completion of the test did not preclude me from participating in these activities.  And then over 20 years ago (Chilliwack) I again identified myself as a non/poor swimmer, though there were fewer in the category this time around.  Again I was not able to pass the swim test and again I completed the course.

Well didn't you luck in?? Those who didn't complete the test at the last Unit we did it at ... signed their Admin action paperwork, prior to being re-tested. The difference in the outcomes, (ie loading one for a course despite them NOT having complied with the pre-reqs and the CoC signing off on it despite your failure to comply with the pre-reqs) is of course a leadership issue, and a failure of that leadership. Like I said, lucky you.

As for the Newfs and non-swimmers. I find it's very common amongst fishermen too. My uncle is a lobsterman, and his reasoning is that if she goes down in the cold Atlantic, he'd much rather go quickly drowning than by hanging around for many more minutes slowly freezing to death. To each their own, and in that respect I guess he's got a point, but he's not in the CF.

"I run like the wind, but a dozen lengths of a pool still feels like a marathon to me."

I find that interesting. I'm in the same situation but reversed, I can swim forever, but put me on treadmill, it's a terrible sight. But seeing as swimming and running are both cardio, never figured out why that is.

mear said:
I find that interesting. I'm in the same situation but reversed, I can swim forever, but put me on treadmill, it's a terrible sight.

I feel the same way, but I used to compete. I also feel more sleepy and have a bigger appetite after swimming than a run.

When I did that test last year, two Ocdt passed it even though they couldn't swim...probably had a lot to do with the fact that they signed in for infantry...considering CF needs those officers a lot, may be the standard is different for this MOC...who knows, right ?

When I did that test last year, two Ocdt passed it even though they couldn't swim...probably had a lot to do with the fact that they signed in for infantry...considering CF needs those officers a lot, may be the standard is different for this MOC...who knows, right ?

It is a CF std - the fact that they passed is on those doing the assessment, not because they were going Infantry!

I have no idea where you get the idea that it is a different std.

Chilly

I was infantry. Got that old coach for the sit-up and push-up test...I didn't do the necessary amount of push-up, and they passed me. Another Ocdt, with the same coach, 5 minutes later, didn't pass the push-up test...she had to do the re-test...her MOC: public relations.

You can choose to believe it or not...may be it's not because I was infantry and she was something else...but there was a different treatment back then...and that's a fact.

So much for CF std.

I'm joining the armourd so what is the point of a swim test if ur not going to be around water?

It beats me...but if I have to take a stab at it, my answer would be: you're a soldier first.

Doesn't matter. Just do it, like your bed with a ruler...doesn't make any sense either on the long run, but that's their idea of teaching you discipline and to work collectively as a platoon.

It's nothing but a game...just play.

muahaha said:
I'm joining the armourd so what is the point of a swim test if ur not going to be around water?

Probably the same point that you have to spell properly.

muahaha said:

::)

Tanks cross rivers.....travel on floating bridges.....to get to the war you may have to travel by ship.......you may some day find yourself in a helo that has to land on a lake or such.......

Think before you speak, its free and perfectly legal !!

did i once say not try?? no i didnt, you still try your hardest, but the fact is some people are not capable of swimming like that (without more instruction) furthermore in basic, you dont get taught how to swim, not enough time, we spent 80 minutes in the pool, one class was for the test itself, and the next class was for the retest( where the people that had already passed had played Polo)

i would have to say that overall PT in basic was lacking, many people cringed at the 545 am runs around the T-parade square in borden, but those were the ones i used for myself before the ones after lunch and in the 35+humidity heat of borden (no matter what shape you are in, those are hard to judge what you need to work on). once you passed week 6 or 7 the PT really tailed off i think we had only had one or two more PT periods, for the most part because you are in the field, range was week seven, the last drill classes and field prep classes and a couple trips to the field in 8 and then straight field weeks 9 and 10, week 11 was grad week, we had one PT then but that was not PT it was PSP coming in and talkin with about  what they can improve on for the next courses and told us about PT after basic (which at CFSCE is alot of spin class in the winter lol)

And ABOVE ALL ELSE - remember to take a deep breath BEFORE jumping in the pool, rather then AS you jump in the pool. That was a quick way for me to fail my first go at it  ;D

Back