• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

I wouldn't know about the other combat arms, however you learn the assault boats for infantry. So if there's assault boats in the other combat arm's 3's then most definitely the swim test would be conducted. But I don't know for sure.

Zertz said:
There you have it. Thanks for the clarification - do you know if its just Infantry or all Combat Arms that swimtest on the 3s? I assume CSS have no use for it.

And why would that be ? Please explain your theory on this......i'm dying to know

I did the swim test again on my field engineer QL3 also....to adress the first part of your post.

I'd like to hear it as well.  I'm CSS and I've done the swim test on more than one occasion by the way.

It's for a  fact that u dont need to pass the swim test to pass bmq.  On my BMQ/SQ one guy didnt know how to swim and didnt pass the test but still went to graduate.  As well the only time you need to pass the swim test is when you are goin over seas.

mhawk said:
It's for a  fact that u dont need to pass the swim test to pass bmq.  On my BMQ/SQ one guy didnt know how to swim and didnt pass the test but still went to graduate.  As well the only time you need to pass the swim test is when you are goin over seas.
false. If you do not KNOW, do not post!

If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot take the Basic Recce Course (Reg Force, anyway), or any of the other courses for which Basic Recce is a pre-requisite. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot partake in certain Watermanship training. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot participate in certain helo-casting activites. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot participate in water parachuting landings. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot take any of the various Diving Courses. And on, and on...

I know everyone who had participated in adventure trg (one year it was kayaking, another a hike) also had to pass the swim test.

paracowboy said:
If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot take the Basic Recce Course (Reg Force, anyway), or any of the other courses for which Basic Recce is a pre-requisite. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot partake in certain Watermanship training. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot participate in certain helo-casting activites. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot participate in water parachuting landings. If you cannot pass the swim test, you cannot take any of the various Diving Courses. And on, and on...

To basically sum everything up, if your training involves water then you'll NEED to take the swim test and depending on the training involved a pass may or may not be required (from my reserves experience, there isn't much training that requires the pass, including the reserve dp1 inf, and in the reserves you won't see the swim test until at least your trades qual), depends on what you will be doing, or if your course involves water training or advanced water training such as the recce course or others mentioned above then a pass if required.

So it depends on what you're doing.

I've been the course officer for reserve BMQ, SQ and BIQ. IIRC, the swim test is only needed before the assault boat training during BIQ. That was a few years ago however, and the course packages seem to be in a state of constant change...

Cheers,

During BOTC regardless of branch you will do the basic swimming test.  If I recall correctly it involves:

While wearing combats with a life vest (no boots)
1) Jump off a diving board (5m) feet first into a pool
2) Tread water for 2 minutes
3) Swim 50m

(Edit: I just remembered the second half of the test)
While wearing combats w/o a Life vest(no boots)
1) Jump from the side of the pool feet first
2) Tread water for 2 minutes
3) Swim 50m

This, as explained by the PSP staff, was supposed to represent falling off a helicopter or ship.  Having to tread water until they could throw you a life preserver, or get somebody in the water to save you, and then being able to swim to them/it.

This doesn't happen day 1 in the pool or anything so worry pas.  You'll get a chance to get to practice your swimming during regular PT classes before they get you to do this.  Also, you will be taught how to catch some air with your combats to help keep you afloat.  Also, at least when I did it, they don't care how you swim the 50m.  You can change strokes in mid swim or whatever.  This helps a lot if you're not a good swimmer.

Hope that helps!

Important tip:  Don't be a dumba** like me and forget your swimming trunks on test day.

Not sure if this still applies but I could not swim a stroke when I joined in 1967 and I passed Basic Training. I had to attend swimming class at every posting. I still can't swim. Only thing that saved me was that I was not afraid of the water and I never freaked out when they would throw me into the pool. If at all possible, learn to swim. As the swim instructor would say to me, " I don't give a damn if you drown, its the guy who is drowning and you have to stand there and do nothing because you can't swim"

I don't think passing the swim test was a requirement to pass BMQ, however, if you fail you get to do remedial swimming lessons with the others who failed while everyones else does Pool PT.

i looked around and didnt see any mention of this i was curious if ear plugs were allowed during the swimming test?

This is not a definitive answer, and is based solely on my limited knowledge and personal experience.

I imagine with ear plugs it is going to depend on whether it is for a valid medical condition or not.  If it isn't then likely the answer is no.  If it is for a medical condition then make sure you get a note from the MIR long before you're pool side.  This isn't the sort of thing you want to bring up at the last second.  N.B, I do not recommend getting medical notes for very trivial things, you really only want to do this if it is going to be a serious risk to your life or hearing.

Although not your question, nose plugs were specifically mentioned as being not allowed.

The swim test includes an abandon ship drill, in which you wear combats and a life jacket, to simulate how you would be dressed on a ship. As such, goggles, nose plugs and ear plugs would kind of defeat the purpose of the drill would'nt it?

its for a medical reason that can only be rectified by surgery which isn't an option at the moment because i believe its a 6 month wait then 2-4 week recovery and i have to have my papers in to my school by November. However thanks Leon I will speak with my MIR when the time comes.

RedStorm said:
its for a medical reason that can only be rectified by surgery which isn't an option at the moment because i believe its a 6 month wait then 2-4 week recovery and i have to have my papers in to my school by November. However thanks Leon I will speak with my MIR when the time comes.
and your recruiting center is aware of this issue?

MIR = Medical Inspection Room.  I.e. the medical clinic.

By the way, paracowboy's question is very pertinent.  If the CFRC does not know about this, they really need to.  Hiding a medical condition during enrollment could (will?) be construed as lying on your application, even if it is simply a matter of not being forthcoming (ye olde lie of omission).  Although having some kind of medical condition isn't a death blow to a career in the armed forces, hiding something during your medical almost certainly would be or at a minimum be a very bad thing for your career. 

Not to stress you out and certainly not to accuse you of anything, but it is something to consider.

The flip side of that is, if you've told the CFRC about this, you've been cleared medically while being fully forthcoming, then worry pas.  Just make your course staff aware of the need to get a medical note, and they'll either get you to see somebody during your numerous scheduled trips to the MIR or they'll tell you which morning to go as part of the sick parade.

I haven't applied yet, this program is though my schools "military coop" for my second semester. If I get accepted I will certainly bring it up when I'm in the medical clinic during the recruiting process.

DEagle said:
Well this is kinda emberesing...i am in good shape and i wana join recruits but i dont know how to swim...actually my biggest fear is water...last year i jumped of bridge with my friends but i had life jacket on....i just wana know whut distance am i suposed to swim and is it really necessary for me to know how to swim really good?
thanks

no dont worry about it, it usually means that you will have a retest and even then that was kinda pointless cuz the people still didnt pass it, i ahd navy in my platoon that couldnt do it, while they had their retest we had fun in the pool and played water polo, that is all ur missin out on really :blotto:

As far as I know, there is no swim test in the reserve BMQ. But if you are a combat engineer reserve, you have to do one in your NQ3 for assault boat qualification.

Back