• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

Just out of curiosity, for the reserve swim test...do they provide you with a bathing suit or do you have to bring your own? If you have to bring your own, is a wet suit/body suit okay? [I'm pretty uncomfortable in bikinies and normal bathyng suites...i always were shorts]

And since we are on the 'providing' topic, do they also provide running shoes? I heard both that they do and don't. I have yet to receive my 'what to bring' sheet and am doing BMQ this July.

Once again, this is for the reserves

thanks

HighlandFusilier said:
There is a swim test which you have to do.

It consists of jumping off a 5m diving board with life jacket on, then swim to the end. About 50m.

Second part is jumping in the water from the end of the pool, tread water for two minutes, then swim to the other end.

I didn‘t swam for like 8 years and had trouble. Luckily I was able to use flipper board thingy.  :p

My advice is to take some swimming lessons.

I hate swimming.
I totally agree with you. I'm actually a decent swimmer but I can not tread water if my life depended on it.

AlphaQup said:
I totally agree with you. I'm actually a decent swimmer but I can not tread water if my life depended on it.

Google Drownproofing.....We were taught it in USMC....excellent way to stay afloat. (Can be practised in your local pool)

http://www.drownproofing.com/

Petra said:
Just out of curiosity, for the reserve swim test...do they provide you with a bathing suit or do you have to bring your own? If you have to bring your own, is a wet suit/body suit okay? [I'm pretty uncomfortable in bikinies and normal bathyng suites...i always were shorts]

thanks

May be too late to help, but if the instructors are thinking, they will not allow you to wear a wet suit, as it is buoyant.

jacksparrow, that's the attitude that's going to get you through your military career. You know what has to be done and you're willing to put in the work to get it done! I wish you the best of luck.

Now for some of the rest of you. You're going to get tested in basic so prepare for it. Don't make the mistake of thinking well " buddy said it was ok for guys on his course to fail, so then I'll get the same consideration". There's at least two things wrong with that thought process. Number one, you don't get to decide what soldier skills you really need. That's not one the lessons your course staff wants you to absorb.  Two, despite my beloved Military's love for uniformity no two courses are ever alike. With you're luck you're going to get on the "one". Where they decided the day you show up for the test, that anyone who can not achieve the coveted P, will not be showing up on the grad parade with their platoon mates. Explain that to all the people who showed up to your big send off back home!

If you're still with me here's some advice. There's a difference between being what people would call being swimmer and being able to pass the military swim test. No one is telling you need to be able to do the Ironman triathlon. But if you don't make a bit of effort to give yourself the skill sets to pass the swim test, even if you do slide through Basic, you'll limit yourself later on from taking part in some of the most rewarding things you can do while in the Military regardless of your MOC, Adventure training, Scuba courses Para course, or even the fun filled Ironman/Mountain man competitions.

There's half a dozen descriptions of the test on this tread. It's not hard and the pass rate is pretty high. Be like Jack, do yourself a favour and show up ready for the test.

jacksparrow said:
What does tread water mean?

It means keeping yourself afloat in one place (in deep water). Your arms and legs move while your body is in a vertical position (as opposed to a horizontal swimming position). I'll have to go back to the beginning of this thread to see how many minutes you need to do this for, but it's usually 2 or 3 minutes. If you are just learning, I recommend treading water with a life jacket the first several times you attempt it. ;)

Edit: It's 2 minutes.

Don't worry about the swim test. If you are a weak swimmer, they will have you close to the side of the pool.
You will not be recoursed for "failing" this test, you just do seperate swim lessons when the stronger swimmers are doing other exercises in the pool. You will have to retake the test later on in your course though (was week 10 when I was there).

It is not a test I would be worried about if I were you. I am a weak swimmer. They taught me(as well as the other weak swimmers) some techniques that made it easier for us to tread water with little energy being expended.

Good luck and have fun!

Firstly! Yes these questions are probably answered in other threads, the threads i keep finding tend to be 2004-2007, So i figured it couldn't hurt just to ask for an up to date response

Simply Put, i've been cruising around websites for the army just getting knowledge of what i am getting my self into.
I AM CONFUSED BEYOND BELIEF. Which is fine since ya'know recruitment process seems simple enough provided your not crazy.

But i do have a few questions that would help clear up a bit of confusion.
A) Swim Test. Is it mandatory to know how to swim?
I've applied for Infantry soldier, Now there is one site saying its needed, another site saying nothing about swimming, and then there is the forums where there is a thread about the swimming where some people are saying folks were kicked out for not being able to do it, and others saying "Heyyyy, its no biggy you just get laughed at." I hate water, never learned how to swim, obviously i was going to bite my tongue and go play in some water if its what it takes to get the job i want(Hell i'll still probably do it as an excuse just to have the knowledge of how to do it.) But would love an answer if its mandatory or not.

B) The Physical Training test. Is a pre-enrollment test still in use for those applying to full time?
I was under the impression i was going to have to do the 20 situps/20 pushups / Grip test /  1.5mile timed run before i'd be enrolled into BMQ?
Been seeing some information on these forums stating it was at BMQ now that the test was done(Which with how hard boot camp gets you into shape would be easy peasy!) I am in half decent shape but not up to par on the run yet, so just has me curious if i have longer to pace myself into it, or if i gotta work myself harder to get ready for a "SUPRISE Physical Test Appointment YOU RUN NOW!" sorta thing.

Again apologys for repeat questions, the threads i found on them seemed a bit old / inconclusive.

p.s
I know i could ask a recruiter . . But i feel embarassed asking questions about physical fitness when i'm applying to the armed forces.
"Be as fit as you can be! Physical fitness is key! Aim higher!"
Durr hey recruiter, dus i has 2 swim? How aboot dat trainin thingy? Duz i has to do it now? I can'ts run it yet.
Maybe after interview and what not i'll feel more comfortable talking with them, but until then i shall bug you kind folk!

Thanks ya for reading.

Well I know for sure that you only do the fitness test when you get to boot camp that is for regular force. If you don't pass you go into a sort of gym class for a while. You could get more info on forces.ca and speak to a recruiter there they will let you download a page regarding fitness test.
For the swimming part well from my knowledge you should learn to swim before but I know some people who didn't know and they were put in a different section when swimming came so they would learn but when I say didn't know how to swim they pretty much tested them to see if they sank or swim.
Overall you should be in the best shape possible when you enroll as it may keep you back for some things.
Good luck

I spent a lot of time yesterday reading over a lot of those posts WRT the swim test and I can see what you mean. I don't know what the drill is for the Reserves all I can speak to is what is expected for the Regular Force.

1. Yes you will have to do the military swim test at BMQ. To earn a pass you need to be able to step off the 3M diving board wearing a lifejacket and combat uniform, no boots!, and then swim to the end of the pool. No points for style, just get yourself to the end. It's bulky in the life jacket so a combination of dog paddle and what ever else you do in the water will get you there. Next part is without the lifejacket. Jump in and tread water for 2 min then swim to the end of the pool. Again no points for style do your dog paddle, frog kick, side stroke, what ever gets you to the end.
So having said all that I think you should take the time to get in the water and learn to swim. A basic learn to swim class would prepare you for what's coming. Not only physically but mentally it's one less thing to stress about. So tip the odds in your favour.
Something else to think about is a soldier who can't pass the swim test is limiting him or herself from some good opportunities in the future. You will see the swim test again as a prerequisite for many courses and pretty much any adventure training trips that involve water, IE canoeing or rafting with your buds.

2. Yes you will do the pre enrollment PT test as you stated. And as an added bonus you will  be tested again in BMQ. Allot of donuts can go down range between when you do that prelim and when they get their mitts on you at recruit training.

3. Don't be afraid to ask the recruiter anything they're there for you.

Best of luck you're in for a great ride.

For those who are wondering:
To my knowledge, reservists do not do the swim test on BMQ or SQ, I know you have to do it on your BIQ however; other trades courses might require you to as well.
Also, on my course, a fail in the swim test meant RTU.

I didn't do too good at my swimming class yesterday, and I left feeling dejected.  When I had the flippers on my feet and a noodle around me, I was able to swim backwards, but as soon as they came off, I just couldn't keep my legs straight and toes pointed out.

I do have a problem with my body tensing up, always have. One minute am stretching my legs out with toes pointed forward in order to stroke so I can move, and then my knees start to bend.

Do you guys think the back stroke is my best bet to get through this test, or should I concentrate on front stroke? If front stroke, what will be the best style for me? Someone suggested the frog style, they said it might be better for me because of the way the leg moves?

Couple of unofficial quick thoughts.

1. Work on whatever it takes to become more comfortable in the water.
2.  IMHO breast stroke would be the easiest stroke to master if your goal is to make it to the other end of the pool.

Hang in there, humans are very adaptable creatures.  :)

You did better in your swim class than everyone who didn't train!

I agree with the last poster work on what makes you the most comfortable. Brest stroke with a frog kick is pretty relaxing.

Thanks Timex! I had the 2 best teachers ever yesterday, my wife and 12yr old daughter, even our 2 month old baby came along. They got me doing the breast stroke from one end of the pool in the shallow end to the other, we spent 3hrs there, as it was family day swimming at the pool.

We came to the conclusion that the breast stroke will be the ideal one for me for now, as I was able to move myself forward after getting the coordination down to a point. It's amazing watching my 12yr old flipping back and forth, and saying dad this how you do it and  even stretching my arms to the side and then bring them in like a chicken wing before pushing myself forward.

The only thing I still wasn't doing right yesterday, was the breathing, I was taking in water because I tend to want to move too quick, when I wasn't using the "noodle" for bouyancy.

Honestly....I think have made some progress and I'll just like to thank everyone that has been a part of helping me!

God Bless

PS: Even after basic training, I plan to continue and be good at this.

Jack S isn't there a treed water component to the test also?
Working on that?

Jack S, props to you for taking the initiative on this one. Some folks just show up and hope they pass, it's nice to see the effort put forth prior to you showing up. Good on you.

Bet the family is exited helping you along, they're going to love it the night you phone home and tell them you passed the test. You are going to have to master treading water as well, take a look on youtube there's some good video on the technique. Don't get hung up on that egg beater leg kick, takes a long time to perfect. When you practice don't do marathon sessions. Just do it for a little while and then move on to your breast stroke, you'll get the feel better each time if you're fresh.

Keep up the good work.

Went for 1 of my twice a week swimming classes yesterday. I was told my breast stroke which I only started learning on Saturday thanks to my wife and daughter, is getting better  ;) I just need to perfect the leg a bit more and remember to stretch my arms out to the fullest before I start another forward movement.

I was also taken to the DEEP end and told to jump in with a life jacket on, it was scary but I did it twice, taking water into my mouth both times, I guess I should close my mouth, relax and just let the jacket bring me back up?

I am enjoying it to be honest, but just need to work on my breathing techniques and learn to relax. My body is just too tense, always has been.

Back