• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

It isn’t the same thing though. It will achieve the same aim of keeping the Liberals in power though.
Yes, same same but different :)
It will keep the liberals in power.

All this does is give us more of the same of what we had. They are all just being more upfront about it. This litterally changes nothing.
I wouldn't say it changes nothing. NDP will be obligated to support the LPC where as before they had more room negotiate.

It's going to be a nice rest for Singh. He doesn't have to do his usual 'Oh I really don't want to support the LPC <dramatic pause> but I'm going to block my nose and do it this time'.
Now he can just fall back on the deal.

Suppose this was why Anand would come up with a fail COA as an options, not meeting the 2% GDP.

Yes, same same but different :)
It will keep the liberals in power.

I wouldn't say it changes nothing. NDP will be obligated to support the LPC where as before they had more room negotiate.

It's going to be a nice rest for Singh. He doesn't have to do his usual 'Oh I really don't want to support the LPC <dramatic pause> but I'm going to block my nose and do it this time'.
Now he can just fall back on the deal.

Suppose this was why Anand would come up with a fail COA as an options, not meeting the 2% GDP.
They were supporting them anyways. There never was an obligation and there still isn’t. They can stop supporting at any time.

The only thing that changes is that we now know when an election might happen. That’s it.

I think in the long term this deal will kill Jagmeet Sinhg's political career.
Hard to see what the NDP gets out of this deal, indeed - shit goes well, Team Red gets the credit. Some real cynics say this could be (in one of a million scenarios) the first small step toward merging the Liberals and NDP into a new way-over-to-the left party down the road.

Then again, three years or so is a mighty looooooooooooooong time for both partners to be happy every, single vote.

The best way to finance it is the same way the BC government changed its health care premiums - make working people pay by pretending employers pay. Premiums for private plans go into funding public plans. Those of you not retiring soon, well...

Hard to see what the NDP gets out of this deal, indeed - shit goes well, Team Red gets the credit. Some real cynics say this could be (in one of a million scenarios) the first small step toward merging the Liberals and NDP into a new way-over-to-the left party down the road.

Then again, three years or so is a mighty looooooooooooooong time for both partners to be happy every, single vote.
Thomas Douglas worked with Trudeau Sr. and got Canadians universal health care.

Not because it lead Thomas Douglas to 24 Sussex but because universal health care benefited Canadians.

Jagmeet Singh seems like a guy more concerned with Canadians than his political fortunes, which is honestly a little refreshing.

I don't know... I actually think minority governments are great for the NDP. With a majority, the NDP can just be completely ignored. Singh can wave these plans around and play the card that he got more actual major policy accomplished that any other NDP leader, which could help him keep his role for a long time.

It might.

But I think sacrificing Singh for a national dental plan and pharmacare is a fair trade.
Fair trade. My taxes have paid for way dumber shit than to fix some poor kids’ teeth.

Pharmacare could be a surprise economic winner too. Improving the availability of medication to manage chronic health conditions could have a real positive impact on workforce participation and reduced absenteeism. Medication has been life changing for close family members of mine. It sucks that a lot of Canadians, in a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, are unable to access it because they can’t get a good enough job.

Improving the availability of GPs is the only thing missing from this picture. And I suppose it would have a lot greater impact than any other measures in contemplation.

Fair trade. My taxes have paid for way dumber shit than to fix some poor kids’ teeth.

Pharmacare could be a surprise economic winner too. Improving the availability of medication to manage chronic health conditions could have a real positive impact on workforce participation and reduced absenteeism. Medication has been life changing for close family members of mine. It sucks that a lot of Canadians, in a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, are unable to access it because they can’t get a good enough job.
Both of those are great programs to help people, and I'm glad we are catching up to countries in Europe in providing them to all citizens.

It sucks that the LPC could not figure out how to do it on their own, but if it takes a LPC-NDP partnership to do it, well, that's fine with me.

I don't know, he's managing to get some key NDP items implemented while only having 25 seats. In some ways, this is a bit easier for him, as he can get some big items pushed through without having to placate some of the more lunatic fringe elements of his party, that want things like Canada to pull out of NATO.

The CPC could have done something similar but seem to prefer sticking around as the opposition that disagrees with everything on principle., but affordable pharmacare and dental plans is something that really benefits everyone in Canada, so they'll probably just look kind of contrary unless it's a total disaster.

The federally procured, provincially distributed vaccines set up a basic framework though, so as long as the politicians stay out of the way of the public servants in figuring out the details should be fine, and if it's the equivalent of a 'standing offer' that the provinces can order against kind of hard to argue against the bargaining power of the federal governement being much stronger than the individual provinces.

I don't know, he's managing to get some key NDP items implemented while only having 25 seats. In some ways, this is a bit easier for him, as he can get some big items pushed through without having to placate some of the more lunatic fringe elements of his party, that want things like Canada to pull out of NATO.

The CPC could have done something similar but seem to prefer sticking around as the opposition that disagrees with everything on principle., but affordable pharmacare and dental plans is something that really benefits everyone in Canada, so they'll probably just look kind of contrary unless it's a total disaster.

The federally procured, provincially distributed vaccines set up a basic framework though, so as long as the politicians stay out of the way of the public servants in figuring out the details should be fine, and if it's the equivalent of a 'standing offer' that the provinces can order against kind of hard to argue against the bargaining power of the federal governement being much stronger than the individual provinces.

Who in the hell was going to to work with the Conservatives ? You're dreaming pal.

The Cons know they will probably never form gov again. So be a prickly thorn. It's all they can do.

Last edited:
Is he though?

Yep, right out of their platform;

....That’s why New Democrats are fighting for a national, universal, public pharmacare program to make sure that all Canadians can access the prescription medicine they need with their health card, not their credit card – saving money and improving health outcomes for everyone....

....A New Democrat government will work together with provincial partners, health professionals and dentists to develop a roadmap to incorporate universal dental care into Canada’s public health care system, and immediately deliver dental care coverage for people who don’t have any private insurance....

"https://www.ndp.ca/better-care"

Perfectly describes the conservative party.

Votes against gay marriage, now they are fine with it.(3 members voted for)

Opposes legalizing weed, now they are okay with it.

Every member of the HOC votes for adding gender identity or expression as being protected from discrimination, except 40 of 78 CPC MPs, now they are fine with it.

Opposes the tax free CCB payments to parents, now are fine with it.

Will likely oppose dental and pharmacare plans, as they opposed the national childcare plan, despite all the good they can do for Canadians.

The dental objective probably won't cost very much (in the big picture). It would be means-tested, and I doubt it is as severely means-tested as it could be. I haven't seen anything yet on what expected cost of a pharma plan would be, and what it would or would not include. Regardless, if the "new taxes" are aimed at employers (basically, conscript whatever is being paid into private/extended plans), they can effectively tax employees (compensation) but in a way which is hidden to most people who don't conceive of their compensation as one thing.

One writer pointed out that junior partners in these arrangements usually get badly whacked in the following election. There's nothing in the package big enough for that price, and most of it is not actually nailed down, if the "agreement" is read closely. Mostly it looks like the LPC rolled the NDP into 3 years of confidence and a risky future without the LPC risking anything that will raise voters' ire, and without giving up any control over the driver's seat.

Back