• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've lost their touch, sadly, with the death of Jack Layton.

I'm no 'leftie', but I can respect a guy who knows what he stands for; like workers rights. Ironically, this tends to pull the NDP into the 'heavy industry' camp, which might be one of the things they've not yet figured out how to play with an increasingly 'white collar' electorate.
The most crippling blow to the NDP was Layton's death, nothing political has come close to the damage as the loss of a leader like him.

The only path to government for the NDP is through the wreck of the LPC. Layton understood that the LCP was the NDP's enemy in line ahead of the CPC.

The only path to government for the NDP is through the wreck of the LPC. Layton understood that the LCP was the NDP's enemy in line ahead of the CPC.
This isn't true.

The two NDP government out west exposed to everyone where the fault lines are in the party.

Rachel notley and the union workers NDP and premier Horgan and the environmentalists NDP butting heads for the better part of a year with Singh more or less awkwardly trying to stay neutral but being in Horgans corner at the same time was cringy to watch.

Toss in there that those in Quebec have no great love for the NDP and you have a party that is strong in a few regions but not strong nationally.

One wonders how long it will take Über-woke PM Trudeau to find a replacement token he can traipse around to show how virtuous he and his party truly are?

‘Fake as ****’: Ex-Politician Details Racism in Ottawa and Her Blowout with Trudeau.

I briefly glanced at the link and was left wondering "why now" - I couldn't recall any controversary/commentary at the time of her resignation (or at least any more than is normal), then I read further down in the story . . .

"The incident is one of many allegations of racism, tokenizing, and microaggressions Caesar-Chavannes wrote about in her new memoir Can You Hear Me Now?, which came out February 2."

Okay, that explains it.

Considering she stepped down in March 2019 and has been out of federal politics since October 2019, I would say that she would have been replaced by now.
I meant as a replacement minority token...as Jarnhamar pointed out, WASP male doesn’t count. Funny how the minority becomes undesirable by challenging the motivations of the Leader.
But was it a boring old white guy who replaced her or another "token" (as Celina Caesar-Chavannes says) pick?
Well, a white guy with an eco-ethical-economical investment company is still 6-years younger than WASFRC PM, so I wouldn’t call him old, Jarn... 😉

What I mean about the path through the LPC is that the NDP, federally, will never win enough seats to form government by carving out a chunk of the CPC's voters (the heaviest lift). The NDP must take over a chunk of the LPC's voters (a lighter lift). The NDP cannot do this by favouring policies which turn off those voters, or by supporting the LPC so that those voters can comfortably continue to vote for the LPC. Mulcair made the mistake of allowing "ABC" to get in line ahead of breaking the LPC; Layton might have worked with Harper to use that election to break the LPC and deal with the NDP vs CPC down the road. I have read enough opinions to believe that Layton understood this. Singh is even more useless. More likely for now is that the LPC continues to borrow the NDP's potential voters.

Both the NDP and CPC each have at least one large internal division. So does the LPC, if the "Trudeau" and "Martin" (both "senior") wings of the party still exist. The challenge is not insurmountable. But the LPC is the obvious hunting ground for either the NDP or CPC, not each other. The federal NDP is not, right now, serious about competing for power.

I briefly glanced at the link and was left wondering "why now" - I couldn't recall any controversary/commentary at the time of her resignation (or at least any more than is normal), then I read further down in the story . . .

"The incident is one of many allegations of racism, tokenizing, and microaggressions Caesar-Chavannes wrote about in her new memoir Can You Hear Me Now?, which came out February 2."

Okay, that explains it.
I had looked at it in light of the Liberals taking great pleasure in expounding on the importance of Black History Month and someone else wishing to reinforce their concerns over the alleged disingenuous nature of the PM’s closed views versus his public signaling.

Perhaps we can agree on “experiencing things differently(TM)” when it comes to the legitimacy of Trudeau’s vs others’ perspectives on the validity and/or sincerity of his virtue signaling?

What I mean about the path through the LPC is that the NDP, federally, will never win enough seats to form government by carving out a chunk of the CPC's voters (the heaviest lift). The NDP must take over a chunk of the LPC's voters (a lighter lift). The NDP cannot do this by favouring policies which turn off those voters, or by supporting the LPC so that those voters can comfortably continue to vote for the LPC. Mulcair made the mistake of allowing "ABC" to get in line ahead of breaking the LPC; Layton might have worked with Harper to use that election to break the LPC and deal with the NDP vs CPC down the road. I have read enough opinions to believe that Layton understood this. Singh is even more useless. More likely for now is that the LPC continues to borrow the NDP's potential voters.

Both the NDP and CPC each have at least one large internal division. So does the LPC, if the "Trudeau" and "Martin" (both "senior") wings of the party still exist. The challenge is not insurmountable. But the LPC is the obvious hunting ground for either the NDP or CPC, not each other. The federal NDP is not, right now, serious about competing for power.
Layton is a bit over rated IMHO.

He didn't break the LPC, he broke the BQ.

2008 election, NDP had 1 Quebec seat, 36 in the ROC. BQ had 49 seats.

2011 election, NDP had 103 seats, 59 in Quebec, 44 in the ROC. BQ had 4.

Net gain for Layton in the ROC was 8 seats. Not a path to government as much as a path of how to catch a moment in time in Quebec when the nationalists didn't know where to go.

"Layton might have worked with Harper to use that election to break the LPC" is not a claim that "Layton broke the LPC".

Other things about the 2011 election result: the NDP became the Official Opposition; the LPC was reduced to 34 seats. A stepping stone on the path to perhaps a minority if not a majority, for those that can select and maintain the correct aim.

Layton is a bit over rated IMHO.

He didn't break the LPC, he broke the BQ.

2008 election, NDP had 1 Quebec seat, 36 in the ROC. BQ had 49 seats.

2011 election, NDP had 103 seats, 59 in Quebec, 44 in the ROC. BQ had 4.

Net gain for Layton in the ROC was 8 seats. Not a path to government as much as a path of how to catch a moment in time in Quebec when the nationalists didn't know where to go.
This is key. There were large numbers of left-leaning Quebecers skeptical of the Libs and who had given up on sovereignty. They were willing to vote for Jack Layton. Tom Mulcair, a Quebecer himself, couldn’t sustain this. At all. And in retrospect it was a flash in the pan.

Currently the NDP have 1 seat in the province Quebec. One. They have fallen a long way in 10 years.

"Layton might have worked with Harper to use that election to break the LPC" is not a claim that "Layton broke the LPC".

Other things about the 2011 election result: the NDP became the Official Opposition; the LPC was reduced to 34 seats. A stepping stone on the path to perhaps a minority if not a majority, for those that can select and maintain the correct aim.
The impossible calculus there. The challenging tightrope walk. How to promote soft sovereignty, even more rights for Quebec within Canada, 50+1 for any referendum and still be a popular pan Canadian political party. Or to put another way, if the bloc was a national party, how many seats could they win? Because the NDP stole the Blocs lunch but overall, the average Canadian wasn't going to go for it. Even with the near collapse of the LPC in 2011, the NDP picked up 8 seats in the 233 seats not in Quebec. 52 more for a majority, they needed to win in 16-20 where the CPC won in order to win a minority. If there was a party that found a path forward after the LPC collapsed it was the CPC. Strong NDP= Government.

This is key. There were large numbers of left-leaning Quebecers skeptical of the Libs and who had given up on sovereignty. They were willing to vote for Jack Layton. Tom Mulcair, a Quebecer himself, couldn’t sustain this. At all. And in retrospect it was a flash in the pan.

Currently the NDP have 1 seat in the province Quebec. One. They have fallen a long way in 10 years.
While Quebec is more left leaning than many other provinces in Canada, where the bloc (in every year save 2011) has been strong is not in the liberal urban areas around Montreal, its in the countryside. It was the nationalist vote that Layton courted and in my opinion it was a trap. Because 2011 was about as high as the NDP could ever hope to get in Quebec, and how to translate that to the rest of Canada?

Mulcair, a smart man by any measure, couldn't do it.

Singh didn't even try.

Meanwhile, in Alberta, they've figured out how to finally get the PM's attention in a 'Say good bye to all your global Climate Leadership dreams' kind of way.

And also, I'm glad that country music stars are finally being recognized for their expertise in natural resource economics :)

Alberta reverses direction on coal development and reinstates 1976 policy, for now​

In the wake of mounting opposition to its sudden decision to cancel a 44-year-old policy that protected parts of the Rockies from coal development, the Alberta government now says it will reinstate that policy and consult with the public about future changes.

"What we're doing today — keeping the 1976 coal policy in place and committing to consult on a modernized policy — is what we should have done in the beginning," Energy Minister Sonya Savage said Monday.

"We didn't do it then, but we're going to do it now."

The shift in strategy comes after growing pressure from municipal councils, First Nations, environmentalists, country music stars and everyday Albertans upset by the coal-policy changes the government initially announced nine months ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-coal-policy-changes-press-conference-1.5905484

Meanwhile, in Alberta, they've figured out how to finally get the PM's attention in a 'Say good bye to all your global Climate Leadership dreams' kind of way.

And also, I'm glad that country music stars are finally being recognized for their expertise in natural resource economics :)

Alberta reverses direction on coal development and reinstates 1976 policy, for now​

In the wake of mounting opposition to its sudden decision to cancel a 44-year-old policy that protected parts of the Rockies from coal development, the Alberta government now says it will reinstate that policy and consult with the public about future changes.

"What we're doing today — keeping the 1976 coal policy in place and committing to consult on a modernized policy — is what we should have done in the beginning," Energy Minister Sonya Savage said Monday.

"We didn't do it then, but we're going to do it now."

The shift in strategy comes after growing pressure from municipal councils, First Nations, environmentalists, country music stars and everyday Albertans upset by the coal-policy changes the government initially announced nine months ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-coal-policy-changes-press-conference-1.5905484
Hey, you're the one that keeps taking shots at us for only pursuing one industry. Here we are diversifying like you keep going on about and now you're mad at that too.

First time I've ever been lumped in with my banjo-rapping colleagues, I'll take it! :p

Hey, you're the one that keeps taking shots at us for only pursuing one industry. Here we are diversifying like you keep going on about and now you're mad at that too.
I'm not sure extracting coal from national parks is really the direction we should be going, even if it means diversification... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back