• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Weekends (time off) Merged]

SupersonicMax said:
So, if I work Monday to Friday, then I am tasked to fly over the whole week end, would it not be reasonable for me to get 2 days off to compensate for the loss of my week end?

This is pretty dependent on what's going on in the background, and take into consideration that this is a bastardized informal/formal system that is applied haphazrdly and differently throughout the CF:

If its a real-world emergency like a terrorist threat, aid to civil power, search and rescue op, flood, ice storm or disaster in another country, then no, you do not get days off, this is what you get paid the big bucks for.

If its a training exercise that everone else is particpating in, then no, you dont get days off, this is also what you get paid for.

If you alone are called in after working a 'work shift' to work the weekend to replace someone else on their 'work shift' (due to whatever reason), it is normal to expect some sort of day or two off in compensation, either officially or unofficially.

If you work a regular shift and work extra lengthy hours when demanded, not one hour but several hours, and not every time, but once in a while, you may get a 'day off' or if youve got a good SNCO/OC he'll give the whole unit the afternoon off during 'slow' days.  In army units this translates to playing cards for the afternoon while waiting for 4 PM before you can leave.

However, if you are on deployment outside of Canada, you are not entitled to any days off - this is why we get the extra bucks, although I have heard of some support units maintaining this practice while on overseas tours.  Some of them, as has been noted on other threads, act like tourists rather than deployed soldiers.

I would caution however, that this is very dependent on the culture of the organization you are working for.  In most Air Force and support trades its normal to provide a day off in compensation.  In most Army trades its 'sucks to be you' for lower ranks, while senior ranks (SNCOs and officers) have the freedom of giving themselves a day off if they wish, although to their credit most dont.  Cant say for sure about navy units...

Greymatters said:
I would caution however, that this is very dependent on the culture of the organization you are working for.  In most Air Force and support trades its normal to provide a day off in compensation.  In most Army trades its 'sucks to be you' for lower ranks, while senior ranks (SNCOs and officers) have the freedom of giving themselves a day off if they wish, although to their credit most dont.  Cant say for sure about navy units...

Well, in all fairness -- I laid out the hours of the average shiftworker in my post below.

192 hours per month. The average CF mbr who isn't a shiftworker averages 40 hours / week @ 5 = 200 hours per month. Ergo, they are working an extra 8 hour day over the shiftworker every month = 12 days more per year.

BUT, they also get:

1) Christmas off;
2) New Years off;
3) Boxing Day off;
4) May 24 off;
5) Good Friday off;
6) Easter Monday off;
7) Labour Day off;
8) July 1st off;
9, 10, 11, 12) shorts at Christmas block leave; and
13, 14, 15) 3 Specials at Christmas block .

So, now they are "up" by at least 3 more days off per year --- not counting that week or so (4 or 5 more) CTO they get added on at Christmas to give them the extra week off, not counting the up to 20 more days short leave a year they could take (10 months @ 2/) that the shiftworker can not ... or just getting slid out early when there's nothing to do. Extended lunch hours (which shiftworkers do not get - they have to remain at work for their shift and are expected to port their meals with them to work). etc etc

So, which ones should be having all their official appts booked during "days off?"  Hmmmmmmm.

I always find it hilarious when pers seem to think that shiftworkers have it "so good" over everyone else; that's utterly false.

The grass certainly isn't always greener over there; there's a reason they aren't supposed to work on their scheduled off days ... and it certainly isn't because they get more time off than the average army guy.

ArmyVern said:
Well, in all fairness -- I laid out the hours of the average shiftworker in my post below.

192 hours per month. The average CF mbr who isn't a shiftworker averages 40 hours / week @ 5 = 200 hours per month. Ergo, they are working an extra 8 hour day over the shiftworker every month = 12 days more per year.

Very good point that I completely forgot about - while it sounds like fewer days, shift workers actually work more hours than most - although I would disagree with your calculation.

Most months have 4.5 weeks (22.5 work days x 8 hrs) so its actually 180 hours per month for regular workers, while a shift worker on 6/4 (18 work days x 12 hrs) is working 216 hours per month...

Over a year period its 52 weeks x 5 days x 8 hrs = 2080 hours for regular workers, but for 6/4 shift workers its 6 days x 36 shifts x 12 hrs = 2592 hours.  The numbers speak for themslves, and makes it pretty self-explanatory why some shift workers are so picky about their days off...

Greymatters said:
Very good point that I completely forgot about - while it sounds like fewer days, shift workers actually work more hours than most - although I would disagree with your calculation.

Most months have 4.5 weeks (22.5 work days x 8 hrs) so its actually 180 hours per month for regular workers, while a shift worker on 6/4 (18 work days x 12 hrs) is working 216 hours per month...

Over a year period its 52 weeks x 5 days x 8 hrs = 2080 hours for regular workers, but for 6/4 shift workers its 6 days x 36 shifts x 12 hrs = 2592 hours.  The numbers speak for themslves, and makes it pretty self-explanatory why some shift workers are so picky about their days off...

I just figured it out at 16 day cycles for the shift I stated below. 32 / month (2 cycles) = 5 weeks per month average for non-shifties.

Watching this thread I figure I actually had a compressed work week for 3/5 years in the big O.

8)

edit for shades

My fiance is currently in BMOQ in St Jean, Quebec. I'm having a really hard time, and I was wondering if anyone knows when they usually start getting weekends off, and how many he will get? I know there is a 4-5 week indoc period where he can't leave, but after that, how often will I be able to visit him?

I apologize if this has been answered already - I searched this site and didn't find the answer, and I checked a few Army Wife forums with no luck. Thank you.

As posted above, it depends on the staff and performance of the platoon. That being said, it is usually the 5th weekend that is the first weekend off. Our staff told us after the weekend passed that a platoon has to really screw up to not get that 5th weekend off. Also, it seemed as though the 6th weekend most of the platoons this summer were on duty which limited the ability to leave CFLRS. After that, there wasn't any pattern and we wouldn't know until 5 pm on Friday whether or not we had leave for the weekend.

Thanks for the replies.
He just flew out to Montreal on Saturday. When do you think he will get a chance to call home? I know they are kept very busy, so is it unlikely to hope for a call within the first 5 weeks?

You are in luck - I am currently on said BMOQ as we speak and can give you details. Typing from a phone so please bear with me. It is my understanding (had the briefing tonight) we will be able to call home and use personal phones even during this first period as long as our other duties are met. This may change however without warning.  Would you like me to find him and get him to call you? (grins)

Thank you for the offer, Ayrsayle, but that's okay. He will call the first chance he gets. Unfortunately, he didn't take his cell phone because he assumed they would be taken away for those first 5 weeks. :( So I guess I'll have to wait until he gets a chance to use the payphone (or whatever they have there).
Thanks so much for your reply.

Mandy55 said:
Thank you for the offer, Ayrsayle, but that's okay. He will call the first chance he gets. Unfortunately, he didn't take his cell phone because he assumed they would be taken away for those first 5 weeks. :( So I guess I'll have to wait until he gets a chance to use the payphone (or whatever they have there).
Thanks so much for your reply.

Unfortunately you're going to have to deal with periods without contact as a military spouse. The best way to deal with it, is to trust that he'll call as soon as he can, and that no news is good news. Trust me, he probably wants to talk to you more than you want to talk to him just to get out of course mode for even 5 minutes.

I know :( We talked about this before he left and I don't expect to hear from him for a long time. I'm just having a hard time right now and was hoping to hear some good news (though I know it's very unlikely).
For some reason, it makes me feel a little better to have talked to someone who is there with him, even though they might not know each other. I appreciate everyone replying, especially so quickly!

Did he leave Saturday as in yesterday or a week ago?

The first week or two is definitely the busiest (well... partly because you aren't used to managing your time the same way and whatnot as well), but after that I never had any real problems getting a phone call out... yeah, you're busy at night, but there's definitely 5 minutes to spare here and there for phone calls and such on pretty much any given night... the problem is a lot of people expect to be able to call home for an hour a night which is not only ridiculous but also blades all your buddies who are trying to get the night's work done.

We were all good and accounted for this evening. Save for the one individual who did not meet up with the group for the meeting. The warrant had words for him. Rest of us are fine (grins). Food is good, lines are long, and tomorrow is paperwork!  i'm sure he's good.

He left yesterday. We were told at his Swearing In ceremony that there's not many phones, so there will be lots of guys who get homesick and are more desperate to call home first (unfortunately for me, he's not one of those guys).
I have another question: Are they only able to use the phone after supper? I've seen a general schedule of their day, and I'm assuming they can't call home during lunch or between classes, correct?

Ayrsayle, can I ask how many recruits are there? I have no idea if it's 50, or more like 1,000. Also, I believe he has an iPod or something like that which has internet access. Would he be able to email me with that? Or are cell phones the only electronics allowed?

Mandy55 said:
He left yesterday. 

You need to learn to relax a bit. I mean that in the most constructive way possible. He only left yesterday.

Are they only able to use the phone after supper?

Students are normaly pretty busy until 11pm in the initial stages of training.

and I'm assuming they can't call home during lunch or between classes, correct?

You are correct.

I believe he has an iPod or something like that which has internet access. Would he be able to email me with that?

As far as i know, there is no Wifi in the quarters for him to use.

Haha yes, I'm very emotional. I guess the first few days are the hardest. I was hoping he would be able to email me, since cell phones are allowed, but oh well. Do you think he would at least be able to keep his iPod, so he can have a little break from the course to listen to music?

After doing a very quick search here, it seems the use of things like iPods, cell phones, etc, varies from course to course.  Some had them taken away for the first few weeks, some were allowed to have them after 6 pm and on weekends.

Speaking as someone who works away half of the time...I am always happy to see that my wife can make it through my time gone without a bunch of hand wringing and desperation for communication. We value what avenues we do get: a weekly phone call or daily emails. I can't always call or write because of little things like work - much the same as I am sure your boyfriend is going through right now.

And speaking from experience with one of those hand wringers: it only stresses me out more when my partner can't handle the seperation. Please about that.

He'll call or write when he can, worrying about when, if and how will only turn you into one of "those" spouses. We all know someone who has had their spouse call the duty shack because Bloggins hasn't phoned home in 2.873 hours and Spouse is convinced the big bad army killed him or that he's screwing everything in a skirt.

relax, he's got a long time to go and he will appreciate the support.

Back