• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Weekends (time off) Merged]

Occam said:
There is other policy dealing with the issue.  For example, I'm a day worker, Mon-Fri.  If I get called in to work during silent hours, or on weekends, that's outside my normal working routine.  As a matter of policy, our unit pays transportation expenses (taxi, PMV or otherwise) for someone recalled in that situation.  They also pay for a meal if the period recalled crosses over a meal hour.  My previous unit did the same. 

If I'm scheduled for range training, I claim (on an MTEC) kilometres to and from Connaught (less the distance to and from my regular place of work, since it's along the way) because there's no transportation to the ranges and I have to use my PMV.

All this to say that yes, I do understand when there are occasions when scheduling training during a non-working day (which incidentally makes it a working day) is unavoidable.  Those occasions should be the exception rather than the rule.

In these cases the funds are out of Unit budgets.  A CO can just as easily say "No". if it becomes a budgetary problem.

And yes i understand what you two are saying about CBI 209.54 and I know where it applies; but as I said, and I believe the OP never insinuated that they were going on Leave, with of area bookings (something that you two seem to have focused on), so this would not apply.  There is no requirement to reimburse (financially) someone for sitting at home on their couch should they be "recalled".

I guess you guys have never experienced an "Alert Recall" or "Snowball".  No one was ever reimbursed financially or for a fact in any other way, other than perhaps getting off work a little early the next day.  As I said, you are in a business where you are paid 24 and 7, 365 (366) days a year. 

Nope, never had an "Alert Recall" or "Snowball".

However, if memory serves me correctly, if we got recalled while we were Ready Duty Ship, I do believe we were reimbursed for travel expenses if you were stuck for a ride to the ship.  It was a long time ago, and I'm really foggy on it.  Any Navy types remember if there is (was) a MARCORD dealing with recalls for RDS?

I would just like to add,
Regardless of the official policies on time off for working weekends, recalls and so on, I know that I work fewer days in the military than I would anywhere else for equal money.  If I add up all the Stat days, automatic 20 days leave, and then the countless times I've had the pleasure of answering the following question...

"What are you doing right now?"
"Nothing Sgt..."
"Well don't do it here...see you Monday"

Gotta love early Fridays :) ...minus working at the clinic, bloody full day Fridays :(

Just another note on the joy of being a shift worker, just found out yesterday I lost an hour pay because I worked nights all weekend of March 12/13/14 and since the clocks moved ahead one hour during your Saturday shift......

First time I've had that done to me in 21 years.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Just another note on the joy of being a shift worker, just found out yesterday I lost an hour pay because I worked nights all weekend of March 12/13/14 and since the clocks moved ahead one hour during your Saturday shift......

First time I've had that done to me in 21 years.
Bruce, make sure you're on when the clocks go ahead and ask for the extra hour's pay.  ;)

There was/is something in place for paying members called into the ship that have to take taxis.  I believe it was tied to when the recall was done and what your job was.  For example a recall issued at 0500h on Sat would see those required to be onboard for fire up paid for taking taxis while the rest of us would be expected to take our normal mode to get there as the ship had 8 hours to be ready to go (which for a RDS means having the bodies report in as everything else should already be done). If you showed up at 1100h you were not getting paid for a taxi.

Back to original question - perhaps you can make an argument for short leave?  It is up to the CO to decide if he wants to give it or not.

To answer the question in the title of this thread:

time off for working weekends, is their a policy on this at all?

Yes, there is a policy.  It's called leadership.

dapaterson's answer is probably the best answer, however when leadership fails to take care of the interest of their subbordinates, section 2.8 of the CF Leave Policy Manual (page 18) should take care of the issue.

George Wallace said:
I guess you guys have never experienced an "Alert Recall" or "Snowball".  No one was ever reimbursed financially or for a fact in any other way, other than perhaps getting off work a little early the next day.  As I said, you are in a business where you are paid 24 and 7, 365 (366) days a year.

Im not sure about the other fellow, but yes I have done these things.  I spent just as much time rushing into base as anyone else for emergencies or working round the clock for exercises and real-world emergencies.  Ive finished my work day and then worked extra hours because its needed many a day without any bitching or expectation of compensation. 

This is not the same as shift work.  Here is an example of the kind of schedule I used to work at one position.

Day shift you are up at 4:30, on the road by 5 AM, at work by 5:30, getting your shit together by 5:45, getting your handover brief and then ON shift by 6 AM.  Food is delivered to your post. During weekdays you are allowed to leave only if someone is there to relieve you.  On weekends you can pop out for a few minutes for a smoke or bathroom break, during which you carry your cell phone so if someone cant get the office phone at least they can get you by cell.  Your job is to stay there and do your work, not pop out for munchies or a chat with the security guard.  Unlike some other shift workers, you have to stay awake your whole shift, not sneak in a good 6 hours of rack time, because you are reading reviewing and writing reports. You dont get to go to the gym or appointments during this time.  Shift ends at 6PM, handover takes 15-30 minutes depending on how much happened during your shift.  You are usually out the door no later than 6:30, drive home by 7 PM and youve got a couple hours to sort out your personal or family issues before its rack time and ready for the next shift. 

Is it complicated? No, its dead boring most of the time.  But it severely restricts what you can get done in a day when youre in before anything opens and out after most businesses close.  Anyhting that needs to be done in person has to be done on off days.

At another position, I worked a regular shift, but was on call at all hours and weekends, mostly because for about a 1.5 year period I was the only person present and qualified to do the work (short staffed and deployments sucked away the other staff).  By the end of a four year posting I had 64 days of ETO because I came in at any time I was needed, never asked for compensation, but which I never got because I got posted. 

Leading to the comment from dapaterson, leadership is needed if senior NCMs and officers dont give lower ranks time off for doing excessively extra work, even if the ranks dont ask for it and soldier on.  When soldiers are busting their butt to get work done, its up to them to make sure soldiers get time off for doing that little bit extra.  It was a lesson I applied often as a senior NCM.

6% and 4% of CF pay is  the "overtime factor" for NCMs and officers respectively. See  http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/pay-sol/po-as/index-eng.asp under the "Military Factor"

CTO is illegal, short leave is the correct answer to reward people for overtime and dedicated service.  I had to do a lot of reading on this several years ago as I inherited a section that was out of control and logging CTO by the hour. Turning them in the right direction initially involved a great deal of anger on their part as they had a culture of entitlement.  It was felt I was taking something away that they had a right to.

Also for longer TDs' I am sure there is an official DND policy on time off prior and on return. I don't have access to that info now, but if IIRC it was 24 hrs off prior and 48 on return for admin purposes.

I recall General Boyle (as CDS) during a town hall in Cold lake saying he wanted the CF to go to a 1 for 1 system of CTO!  That would have been impossible to handle without a lot more people. 

Don't get carried away with the CTO title - most people use it instead of the correct term short leave.

For time off while going on TD there is a policy  - the Leave Manual

Canadian Forces Leave Policy Manual
Section 5.11 Special Leave (Relocation)

5.11.01 Policy

....In addition, when a member is away from home on duty for operations and training exercises, career courses or incremental taskings within or outside Canada, Special Leave (Relocation) may be granted at the discretion of the CO.

Mine refused it as he didn't belief that a month away from the family warranted leave so I took annual instead.

I don't think most people confuse CTO with short leave. You need a leave pass signed by the CO for short leave, with a max of 2 per month. CTO is almost always buckshee, and if put on a leave pass is usually called weekend leave with a note in the remarks column.

ok let me put that another way

In my experience most people use CTO vice Short leave as every year I send back lots of leave passes for correction that have CTO indicated on them when the member is going on short leave.  Almost every time someone enquires about the policy on short leave they use the term CTO and wave off the correction with "whatever they are calling it these days". I have even corrected myself on occassion when I have slipped back into using the term CTO which was commonly used everywhere I have been for short leave up to around 2003 or 2004 I believe.

As for bucksheet - I have never heard it called CTO, it was always bucksheet.  We used to keep a signed leave pass for our staff and our supervisors had one for us.  If we went bucksheet and something happened then the leave pass was submitted.  Don't know if anyone is still doing this but wouldn't be surprised if they are.

eurowing said:
I recall General Boyle (as CDS) during a town hall in Cold lake saying he wanted the CF to go to a 1 for 1 system of CTO!  That would have been impossible to handle without a lot more people.

So, if I work Monday to Friday, then I am tasked to fly over the whole week end, would it not be reasonable for me to get 2 days off to compensate for the loss of my week end?

SupersonicMax said:
So, if I work Monday to Friday, then I am tasked to fly over the whole week end, would it not be reasonable for me to get 2 days off to compensate for the loss of my week end?

If you want a M-F 9-5 job, put in your release.

Certainly, leadership means not overtasking your subordinates and giving them time when it's possible.  Sometimes it's not possible.  I know one individual who was part of a three person det providing a 24/7 duty watch on top of their regular work - with one of the three being the boss, who did not draw a watch shift.  That went on for 2 months before anyone was able to get a day off.

dapaterson said:
If you want a M-F 9-5 job, put in your release.

Did I say I want a 9-5 job, M-F?  No, I said I want a reasonable amount of time off.  Whatever crusty old dinosaurs think, taking care of your people is what will keep them onboard, that includes time off and money, amongst others.  The old "serving your country should be above and beyong money and time off" cannot be applied anymore.  If people can have a better life somewhere else, you bet they will walk away.  I joined the military because I wanted to serve sure.  But I would not have done it if there weren't benefits to me. 

Before anyone jumps on me, my normal work day is around 10-12 hours and it can be very very odd working hours.  Pretty far from the M-F 9-5.  And I never bitch because I don't get time off for working more than the 8 hours pretty much everyday.

Hmmm, we were still using CTO (on leave passes too) at my past Unit.

Sometimes, 2 short days a month just doesn't cut it when pers are working 16 hour days. If my pers worked both days on the weekend - they'd get 1 day CTO. So, 1/2 time. Mind you, a ceratin section was working 0730 - 1600 every day, then coming back in from 1730 - 2130 every night on top of working through the weekends ... as a habit just trying to keep up with the workload due to manning shortages caused by op requirements.

For those saying that it no longer exists; can any one of you lay out for me exactly how then, my ex managed to take 5 days annual, the stats, the 4 shorts, and the specials ... (the exact same as me) at Christmas time and manage to pull off an extra week and a half or two weeks of 'time off' for "Block leave" pass than I did? His leave pass said "CTO" ... you know for those weekends spent in the field. It happened every year, and we were married for 17, same amount of annual, shorts, specials, stats ... but him off at least a full week prior.

For the OP: there should be a policy in writing from your Wg/BComd laying out the process for what is to occur when you are required to work on a scheduled "non-working" day as a shift-worker there.

Back when I was working shift in Trenton, all of our appts were scheduled on and during our day shifts. They couldn't schedule us during our night shifts for medical/dental etc.

We worked 12 hour shifts:

0700-1900 (day shift); and
1900-0700 (night shift) on a 4 on/4 off basis: 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off. They had 4 days every 16 days into which med/dents were scheduled to be done. Sounds harsh, but we were working 48 hours per 8 days = 192 hours per month ... and of course, working stats was normal if your shift "day on" fell into one. No shorts, no specials and no stats over holidays or anytime else for shifties. That's exactly why the Comd is supposed to have a written policy in place to ensure that shifties are compensated for their "off days" worked.

Mind you, it is sometimes necessary to 'work" off-days in emergencies or unavoidable circumstances - but that is supposed to be the exception and not the rule as your boss seems to have made it.

Back