• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF2 & AFG (merged)

He writes for the fucking espirit de corps papeR?What the fuck is wrong with this country! I cant take this anymore- everyone is retarded. Leading with his fists? What else should a soldier do? The care bear stare?Anyone who has seen a neheading VIDEO by these people would not believe any evidence to the contrary.They will only believe these terrorists are raving psycotics. I dont care how Allah Ahkbars they say.They are scum. I hate these men and wouldlike nothing more than to cleave their heads from their necks- they don use them anyways.

Michael Nickerson, the Toronto columnist for Esprit de Corps military magazine, seems to have the same journalistic skills as Rationman, another of EdC's "man on the street" Jimmy Olsens. If ST ever thought of reclaiming some of his standing with today's Servicemen and women, he'd unload these two pikers. It's pretty hard to pass yourself off as the "Champion of the Soldier" with gutter tripe like this. Although I'm sure MN could get a job as PR man for Parrish.

Yes I read it here in Afganistan, cause its free, and we don't get much in the way or reading material from Canada.

ohhh this is rich:
"Hillier has resorted to lowbrow and disingenuous scare tactics, most recently labelling terrorists as amoral psychopaths on par with the Olsons and Bernardos of the world, despite much evidence and research to the contrary."

what evidence and research-  they are terrorists, they kill innocent people with out remorse or thought.  I am soooo sick of the barney "I love you you love me" crap about terrorists. The biggest problem with most people in Canada is they are afraid to offend and lose our "nice people" title.  And most people still think that terrorists attacks cannot happen here because the world loves us.
I think Hillier is great, he is trying to  get the message across that we as a country are involved with some serious world business and that maybe we need to brace for it.

Can someone please provide for me the research and evidence about terrorists not being on par with the olsons and bernardos, I would love to read it. >:(

ST's a boob.  His rag - and I mean RAG - is not fit to wipe my tush...

I lost of faith with him about CAR 1CDO tapes. - He's done nothing but continue to dig himself and his magazine in deeper since them IMHO.

Uncle Lew is still on the job...

==========================
Back Off, Rick's Right
Monday, August 1, 2005 Page A11

Now that we have a chief of the defence staff who calls a spade a spade rather than a pitchfork, and a terrorist a "scumbag" rather than a disenfranchised youth who had a rough childhood, and confirms that our military's role is to kill as efficiently as possible once the political order has been given rather than participate in "peacekeeping" missions that rarely meet the criteria for success, the critics have come out of the woodwork.

The problem, if there is one for General Rick Hillier, has been the absence of unfettered military advice from the top soldier in the land since the integration of the Defence Department's military and civilian staff in the early 1970s. For years, I blamed defence minister Paul Hellyer, who had unified the Canadian Forces (same uniform, common services for the navy, army and air force etc.) for the tragedy of integration.

That is, until he asked me to stop identifying him as the culprit, reminding me that it was his successor, Donald Macdonald, who had carried out Pierre Trudeau's bidding to emasculate the military by putting our soldiers in bed with their civilian counterparts in the Defence Department as "co-equals." During the conversation, Mr. Hellyer assured me he would have "fallen on his sword" if Mr. Trudeau had ordered him to integrate the Forces' headquarters with the Defence Department's civilians. What followed was, by necessity in the interests of survival, a new military culture at the top that, more times than not, publicly repeated and reinforced the opinions of the political and bureaucratic masters.

Lest the reader erroneously conclude that I am proposing some sort of Canadian military dictatorship as the answer, let me stress that I am talking about the importance of unfettered military advice, not decision-making. The chief of the defence staff should not be in the business of making foreign policy decisions, but he certainly should be at liberty to comment on them. In the most recent case involving Gen. Hillier's thoughts regarding our redeployment in Afghanistan to Kandahar to rejoin the war against the Taliban/al-Qaeda coalition, critics found fault with comments that merely reinforced our government's appropriate policy decision. Go figure.

Advertisements

In the vast majority of Western nations, it is required of senior military leaders that they provide, without restriction and cognizant of security, their best professional advice regarding their responsibilities. A good example was provided by the recent disagreement between President George W. Bush and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Richard Myers, after the release of the report on intelligence failures that contributed to 9/11. One of the recommendations (and one approved by Mr. Bush) was the creation of a centralized intelligence co-ordination agency that would reduce some of the Pentagon's influence in intelligence matters. Gen. Myers spoke out publicly against the proposal even while the President was saying that it sounded like a pretty good idea to him.

In Canada, a similar display before such a decision was made would be grounds for the figurative beheading of the senior officer. In the U.S., when the media got to the President with what they anticipated would be the story of the day, Mr. Bush replied (and I paraphrase him): That's what Gen. Myers is paid for, to give his honest opinion; he gave it, I disagree with it and we are implementing the recommendation.

The President and Gen. Myers then went back to work. End of story.

Some critics have suggested that Gen. Hillier is not only wrong in commenting on foreign policy but that he's off base. They repeat the latest popular theory that the prime motivating influence behind suicide bombers is the desire to rid their "homeland" of foreign armies and that perverse religious interpretations and the clash of civilizations have nothing to do with their cause. If that's the case, why did fighters from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan, Jordan, Gaza, Canada and the U.S. try to rid Afghanistan of foreigners like ourselves. Afghanistan was not their homeland. No one has a monopoly on the causes of terrorism because they aren't common, consistent or discernible. Gen. Hillier's deductions are as valid as those who write books on the subject.

When you deal with the media, the most important thing to ask yourself before opening your mouth is: "Who is my target audience?" With Gen. Hillier, it's obvious that he's frequently talking through the media to his soldiers, sailors and pilots in language they appreciate. Listening in is the Canadian public, which is being told that an appropriate foreign policy decision to dispatch as many terrorists as possible for an early reunion with their maker is a dangerous but necessary business.

Retired major-general Lewis MacKenzie was the first commander of United Nations peacekeeping forces in Sarajevo.

PUBLICATION:  The Chronicle-Herald
DATE:  2005.08.02
SECTION:  <Canada>
PAGE:  A6
SOURCE:  On Target
BYLINE:  Scott Taylor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hillier's move to Kandahar 'madness'; Silly name-calling also won't help <Canada's> cause

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AS <CANADIAN> troops began their new deployment to Afghanistan, senior brass and government officials were out warning the public to "expect casualties" and saying that "Kandahar will not be like Kabul."

As part of the International Security Assistance Force since 2002, some 4,000 <Canadian> personnel have served in Kabul, and the casualties were mercifully limited to three fatalities - two in a landmine explosion and one caused by a suicide bomber.

The reason for this is that Kabul was never a stronghold of the Taliban, and following the collapse of its power, the international force was relatively uncontested by the local warlords.

The force has thus been able to provide relative security in the Afghan capital and to protect President Hamid Karzai's fledgling government.

Outside city limits, however, it's a different story as the warlords still rule supreme, and defiant Taliban holdouts continue to wage a localized guerrilla war.

As a result of the international community's inability to subdue the entire countryside, Karzai has been dubbed the mayor of Kabul.

While the private armies of the northern warlords continue to defy central authority and have returned to their lucrative drug trade, it is around the southern city of Kandahar that the Afghan resistance has been openly defiant. This is the heartland of the deposed Taliban regime and the former safe haven for Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida fighters.

Although the Pentagon declared the Taliban "finished" in November 2001, U.S. special forces operating from their combat operation centre in Kandahar are still subject to frequent guerrilla attacks, and their aggressive patrols have yet to find or apprehend bin Laden.

In early July, the elite U.S. <Navy> SEALS suffered their largest number of fatalities in a single action when Taliban supporters ambushed a patrol. With four SEALS pinned down in the rugged mountains, a rescue mission was launched. Anticipating such a move, the Afghans were able to destroy the rescue helicopter as it landed, and as a result, 17 American commandos were killed.

It is into this volatile situation that <Canada> is now deploying two distinctly different forces with two entirely different mandates.

The Provincial Reconstruction Team is essentially responsible for providing security to the various aid agencies and non-governmental organizations as they attempt to rebuild the shattered infrastructure and utilities throughout the war-ravaged countryside. Shipping out to the same base in Kandahar will be a <Canadian> combat contingent - including Joint Task Force 2 commandos - to help the U.S. military in taking the fight to the Taliban holdouts.

Experts familiar with the complex Afghan social, political and military mosaic have suggested that combining the two missions in the same location is "complete madness."

They argue whatever "feel- good" reaction the reconstruction team can generate by handing out food parcels at gunpoint will be eradicated by the ongoing combat missions.

Not being novices at guerrilla warfare, the Taliban and al-Qaida will not wilfully engage the heavily armed special forces units sent to destroy them. But when the dust settles and the lightly armed reconstruction team members roll into their village wearing the same <Canadian> uniform, one can only imagine the result.

The tough-talking chief of the defence staff, Gen. Rick Hillier, has gone on the record as telling <Canadians> to brace themselves for a significant casualty count. But he also reminded us that we are fighting "scumbags and murderers."

These comments came in the immediate wake of the London subway bombings on July 7, and Hillier's implication was that our troops engaging illiterate guerrillas in the wilds of Afghanistan would somehow make the transit system in <Canada> safer.

That was, of course, before it was learned that the London bombers were born in Britain and Jamaica. It was a similar logic that propelled U.S. President George W. Bush to attack Afghanistan in the wake of the 9/11 terror attack. Of the 19 individuals involved in the hijacking-suicide strikes against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, not one was from Afghanistan (or Iraq). The majority were from Saudi Arabia and Egypt and had been living in Europe and America before the attacks - not in caves around Kandahar.

As we commit more troops to the mission in Afghanistan, perhaps it would be beneficial for our leaders to seek a long-term exit strategy rather than engaging in baseless fear-mongering and silly name-calling.

"Scumbags?" When did Tony Soprano take charge of the <Canadian> military?

More nuggets of wisdom from everones' favorite ex-corporal. Why doesn't this man run for office, he knows everything, just ask him!

aaaaaaaaaahhhhh  after reading jumpers post, I am physically angry, make the dumb reporters go away, please.  Why why why do people get offended when someone calls terrorists scumbags, has it really come to this.  I want off the PC train.

:threat:

Experts familiar with the complex Afghan social, political and military mosaic have suggested that combining the two missions in the same location is "complete madness."

They argue whatever "feel- good" reaction the reconstruction team can generate by handing out food parcels at gunpoint will be eradicated by the ongoing combat missions.

However, as usual, he fails to identify these "Experts". I have a couple of "acquaintances" who do this for a living, and they have not identified this "complete madness".

These comments came in the immediate wake of the London subway bombings on July 7, and Hillier's implication was that our troops engaging illiterate guerrillas in the wilds of Afghanistan would somehow make the transit system in <Canada> safer.

Nor has anyone I spoken to, or corresponded with, professionally or otherwise, drawn this implication from the CDS's comments.

Seems to be more, unsubstantiated, empty rhetoric from someone with an axe to grind. "Champion of the Soldier" pfft ::)

Is it just me? It seems like within the first paragraph or so all of his articles he manages to make some specious remark about "the senior brass". It's getting to the point that I don't even have to read who the author of the article is anymore as soon as I see "senior brass" I know its Taylor.

And of course, when someone does get hurt or killed, it's always the fault of the "senior brass" or "government official". Never the fault of the psuedo journalist hack that has spent years undermining the CF and her soldiers, for some misguided agenda or childish retaliation.

From the Star web site. Interesting info about how JTF2 is actively engaged in combat and killing the enemy.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1126864521898&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home
JTF2 in combat in Afghanistan
Secretive commando unit in high gear conducting counter-insurgency operations, officials confirm

CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA â ” Canadian special forces soldiers in southern Afghanistan have killed Taliban and Al Qaeda rebels over several operations in recent months as they work secretly in small units, military sources say.

The modest contingent of troops from Joint Task Force 2 is an integral part of coalition efforts to stem the tide of insurgency that has risen since campaigning began for Sunday's parliamentary elections.

JTF2 commandos have joined counterparts from the United States and some British Commonwealth countries, such as Australia, in fighting that has claimed more than 1,200 lives in six months, say the Canadian defence sources.

Authorities wouldn't â ” or couldn't â ” put numbers on the dead, but some said there could be dozens.

Some engagements are long-range; others are close-in. Some involve a degree of infiltration into enemy compounds and "behind enemy lines" â ” though no lines really exist in the mountainous and desert terrain where they operate.

The commandos, some of whom speak a smattering of area dialects, often work in collaboration with locals who know the lay of the land.

Using specialized weapons and equipment, Canadian snipers have played their deadly cat-and-mouse games at night and in the 50-degree heat of Afghan summer days.

Many of their victims â ” whom the chief of defence staff recently called "murderers and scumbags" â ” never knew what hit them, one source told The Canadian Press.

Beyond acknowledging that JTF2 is in Afghanistan, defence officials and the federal government have maintained their usual strict silence about the unit's exploits.

They plan a briefing on Tuesday, where Defence Minister Bill Graham promised military authorities will provide a few more details about what JTF2 has been up to since it deployed to Kandahar earlier this summer.

But, without providing many specifics, defence sources who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed that the highly trained commandos are bringing their full repetoire to bear in Afghanistan.

"They're doing counter-insurgency operations," said one official. "They're quite vigorous ones."

Canadian special forces have maintained an almost-constant presence in Afghanistan since Ottawa first sent troops to the former terrorist haven in early 2002.

They've done everything, from providing security to the prime minister and NATO commanders in Kabul, to launching search-and-destroy missions in hostile territory far to the south.

The unit, with several U.S. counterparts, earned a Presidential Citation for heroism in battle in Afghanistan in 2002, but Canadians have heard few details of its accomplishments, due partly to its size.

Between the SEALs, the Green Berets, army Rangers, Marine recon, Delta Force and air force special operations units, the Americans have tens of thousands of special forces soldiers.

The Defence Department has never released figures, but it is believed that â ” even with a post-9/11 expansion â ” the Ottawa-area unit has fewer than 1,000 members.

The unit says its small size makes its members more vulnerable to identification and possibly retaliation, and it claims secrecy is one of the elements that sets it apart from other units of its kind.

"Being open and transparent about certain aspects of the unit could seriously compromise the effectiveness of Canada's counter-terrorism capability," says a National Defence statement on JTF2.

"History has shown only too clearly that terrorist organizations will use information about a unit's personnel, weapons, tactics and procedures to great effect by modifying their methodologies to counter the very forces designed to defeat them."

With specialized qualifications such as Pathfinder and Ranger badges, many regular reconnaissance soldiers in Canada are considered on par with almost any U.S. special forces unit.

Canadian snipers â ” both regular force and JTF2 â ” are regarded as the world's best. One broke a 30-year-old record in 2002, killing an enemy soldier with his .50-calibre rifle from 2,443 metres â ” almost 2 1/2 kilometres.

Regular-force snipers earned U.S. Bronze Stars for their stellar work in Afghanistan three years ago.

Canada's elite and highly trained JTF2, which accepts fewer than one in 10 applicants, is considered among the best of its kind.

The nature of their bloody work â ” which can involve covert ``hits" on enemy commanders and operatives or pitched battles with war-hardened fighters â ” is another reason Ottawa doesn't like to talk about what its commandos do.

JTF2 kills people, and that runs contrary to many Canadians' idea that their military are strictly peacekeepers and conciliators who rebuild schools and hand out aid to refugees and other victims of war.

Based at the Kandahar airport, the special forces troops are working under U.S. command, independently from Canadian soldiers running a provincial reconstruction team nearby or peacemakers patroling under NATO in Kabul.

The defence chief, Gen. Rick Hillier, made headlines in July when he said Osama bin Laden, Mullah Omar and their followers are ``detestable murderers and scumbags."

"We are not the Public Service of Canada," he declared. "We are not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces and our job is to be able to kill people."

It's too bad that CF and Government will keep most what happened with our troop serect.  Its this type of mission that more Canadians needs to see and for that matter  the world needs to see on know about. 

radiohead said:
It's too bad that CF and Government will keep most what happened with our troop serect.   Its this type of mission that more Canadians needs to see and for that matter   the world needs to see on know about.  
Yup,out of sight,out of mind.

"JTF2 kills people, and that runs contrary to many Canadians' idea that their military are strictly peacekeepers and conciliators who rebuild schools and hand out aid to refugees and other victims of war."

maybe the sheep will start to see the need for an aggressive sheep dog with more reports like this

"based at the Kandahar airport, the special forces troops are working under U.S. command,"

something I think should remain under wraps.

BAAA BAAAA  ;D

I'm curious to the point of this article?  Does the unnamed writer think this is earth shattering news?

KevinB said:
BAAA BAAAA   ;D

I'm curious to the point of this article?   Does the unnamed writer think this is earth shattering news?
No,just trying to make a name for his self. ::)
What they do is no business of ours no matter what Arm of the Forces we belong to.
The more that is in the public domain the less security they have to perform their job.

Enough said!! >:(

Back