• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDS General Eyre announces retirement

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that General Wayne Eyre, after 40 years of service, will retire this summer as Chief of the Defence Staff, a position he has held since 2021.

General Eyre has dedicated his life to serving Canada and Canadians. After attending military college in Ontario and British Columbia, he spent the majority of his career in command or deputy command positions. Along with four postings in the United States, he served in Cyprus, Croatia, Bosnia, and twice in Afghanistan, where he oversaw training for the Afghan National Security Forces. In 2018, he became the first non-U.S. Deputy Commander of United Nations Command Korea and the most senior Canadian officer ever permanently stationed in the Indo-Pacific region.

Here at home, General Eyre commanded various disaster relief operations, including the military response to both the 2015 Saskatchewan wildfires and the 2016 Fort McMurray evacuation. He was appointed Commander of the Canadian Army in 2019 and was promoted to the rank of General in 2021.

As Chief of the Defence Staff, General Eyre helped stabilize the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) during a period of turmoil and led the institution in responding to the many security crises and challenges facing our country and the world. At home, this included responding to emergencies such as the COVID-19 pandemic and extreme weather events in our communities. Around the world, it included defending the rules-based international order alongside our allies and partners and protecting Canadians in harm's way. In a period of significant change, General Eyre championed efforts to modernize the CAF’s capabilities, rebuild its readiness, and make it an inclusive and respectful organization that attracts and retains talent from all segments of Canadian society while continuing to deliver operational excellence.

The Prime Minister thanked General Eyre for his many years of service to Canadians and congratulated him on his upcoming retirement. A selection process will be initiated to appoint the next Chief of the Defence Staff. General Eyre will continue to serve in his role until the appointment of his successor and the completion of a deliberate transition period.

Looks like we will get a new CDS this summer

I'm guessing LGen Carignan will be the next CDS. She took over CPCC around the time Gen Eyre became CDS, so she's likely due for a move, and culture change it the top GoC priority.

I'm guessing LGen Carignan will be the next CDS. She took over CPCC around the time Gen Eyre became CDS, so she's likely due for a move, and culture change it the top GoC priority.
Or the VCDS, LGen Allen. Despite that they are both very good GOs, both would fit the PM's need to be seen as "progressive".

Or the VCDS, LGen Allen. Despite that they are both very good GOs, both would fit the PM's need to be seen as "progressive".
Being out of the loop down here, I would bet towards LtGen Allen as opposed to JC, simply as CPCC is an unmitigated disaster that she encouraged creation of and commands.

But theoretically isn’t it more or less the RCAF’s ‘turn’ equality etc between the services and all that.

Being out of the loop down here, I would bet towards LtGen Allen as opposed to JC, simply as CPCC is an unmitigated disaster that she encouraged creation of and commands.

But theoretically isn’t it more or less the RCAF’s ‘turn’ equality etc between the services and all that.
CRACF to CDS would likely result in a female Commander RCAF…win win

Sooooo RCN cant get another at bat here ? Lol
The only sailor that had a full term as CDS, Admiral Falls, wore pilot wings and got his start in the RCAF. For whatever reason, the RCN has historically struggled to force generate candidates for the hugest position. There have been quite a few VCDS that came from the senior service, though.

PM “okay officers- who is willing to say that things are headed in the right direction, and even if there are challenges we’re working with the government to keep Canadians safe- something like ‘we’ve always managed our mission to keep Canadians safe- and we continue to do so at home and abroad’?…I see 6 hands at the back. You just made the short list”

During a CPCC town hall I learned "women are different then men, and have different health requirements". I'm not sure the CAF needs that kind of misinformation :unsure:

Back